What happens if I don't renew my 86" MOT?

auf_wiedersehen_pet

What happens if I don't renew my 86" MOT and then don't use it on the road?

The reason is, my MOT is due at the start of a two week holiday and I'd like the two weeks to do some work prior to the MOT.

Do I have to SORN it?

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
SORN (statutory off road notification) is only for Road Fund License (road tax) when it expires and you wish to then take the vehicle off the road.When an MOT expires you do not have to declare it and as long as you don't use the vehicle on the road you are not committing an offence. As the MOT will have expired when you finally wish to take it to the MOT test, you must book the test in advance with your MOT test station and only drive to and from the MOT station (don't go shopping etc without an MOT). All of the above is my understanding only. If it is really wrong I am sure (hope) we will be told!

Offline Fen Boy Paid AdvertiserModerator

• LRSOC Member
  • If it ain't broke... Fiddle with it until it IS !
Re: What happens if I don't renew my 86" MOT?
Reply #2 - Mar 29, 2009 - 21:11
As long as you don't use your vehicle on the road you are not committing any offence. A break in the dates of your MOT's is your choice. If you did use it on the road and have an accident your insurance maybe invalid as you don't have a current MOT - depending on the length of time you want it 'off' the road you may wish to consider telling your insurer perhaps. As RTTB  says you only SORN  a vehicle when your tax has expired.

Offline GrandadRob

• Non-Member
  • 1955 86 inch. 1960 88 inch 2009 TDV6 HSE
Reply #3 - Mar 29, 2009 - 21:17
Does not using your vehicle on a public road, mean the same as parking it on a public road. I would be inclined to park it OFF the public highway during its non-mot period.
Also immobilise it, the insurance would definately wriggle to put it mildly, if you claimed without an MOT.   Just my opinion.
Rob.

Offline The Colonel

• Non-Member
  • Got a III and a II so a I next?
Reply #4 - Mar 29, 2009 - 22:19
As above.
Does not using your vehicle on a public road, mean the same as parking it on a public road. I would be inclined to park it OFF the public highway during its non-mot period.
Yes - the mere fact that it was on public road whether in motion or not would be an offence.
SORN is tax related and NOT MOT related.
Michael

Offline Landie Les Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Mar 30, 2009 - 07:34
Not having an MOT, may give you difficulties with your insurance company, should you need to make any sort of claim.I know some one who had a vehicle damaged by vandalism whilst on private property, it was still insured, but the insurance company refused to pay out because he could not produce a valid MOT for the date of the claim. The loss was relatively minor, so the owner did not pursue the case. I wonder how the insurance ombudsman would have ruled on the case?To be safe, it would be advisable to discuss it with your insurance company, to ensure you are still covered for theft and damage.

Offline Glen

• LRSOC Member
  • Load it up and use it
Reply #6 - Mar 31, 2009 - 16:39
Don't forget you can book an MOT 1 month before it expires and preserve the aniversary.  Its a myth that if it fails you loose the remainder of the current MOT, as thats still a valid in date MOT!  (you can however be done for driving an unroadworthy vehicle at any time regardless of MOT, and I guess if its recorded as having a dangerous fail on the VOSA computer you can't say you wern't aware of it).

Remember if its out of MOT and your driving on the road you can only be driving it to get one to somewhere expecting it.  Would have thought stopping for fuel on route is alright but if your using the minisupermarket as well your intentions are questionable - plenty of cameras loging where you drive these days!  (including DVLA camera cars looking for untaxed cars parked on roads!  They shouldn't be interested in taxed cars without MOTs, but VOSA will be if they pass it on).

auf_wiedersehen_pet

Reply #7 - Mar 31, 2009 - 19:15
Many thanks for all of your help.

I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal