any recomendations for new number plate company

Offline pullingteeth

• Non-Member
for 80'' black and ally pressed type

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Re: any recomendations for new number plate company
Reply #1 - Mar 23, 2009 - 19:42
A brilliant postal service and a good price:

http://www.chestnut-registrations.co.uk/

;D

Offline elephanthide

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Mar 23, 2009 - 19:58
I think Staff Dovey Red Dragon Restorations still does them.

Offline mr.scruff

• Non-Member
Reply #3 - Mar 23, 2009 - 21:28
I get mine done by these guys -

http://www.vintage-plates.co.uk/vintage-plates.htm

Top service from these guys - one thing though, their 'pre 1963 3 1/2" digit' pressed alloy plates are a very 'square' font which I have only seen in recent years and, personally, I think looks wrong. I got a friend a pair of these for his 86" and it just so happened his number was one that didn't show it up so much, although the 'zero' looks a bit odd.

I have had another set made for a Lightweight in their 3 1/8" digits and they are spot on.

Personally I have their raised white plastic letters on black alloy plates, I've put these on my mid sixties 2a and a friend's 80 and they look just right. My S1 has painted plates and they are staying on it.

Offline pullingteeth

• Non-Member
Reply #4 - Mar 23, 2009 - 23:48
so should a 51 have pressed alloy.or raised digits or painted....or something completely different?i like the sound of the raised plastic digits..

Offline mr.scruff

• Non-Member
Reply #5 - Mar 24, 2009 - 08:35
I think it could have either - my 80 is 1952 and had painted plates from new, a friend has a '52 which has had raised plastic digits since the year dot while another friend with a '53 has always had alloy plates!

I'm a big fan of the raised digit ones - if you look at period pictures from the 50's nearly every vehicle has them. And it's something to make your motor a little different from all the others. Here they are on my 2a

Offline pullingteeth

• Non-Member
Reply #6 - Mar 24, 2009 - 10:32
like that look,thanks for all advice

Offline pullingteeth

• Non-Member
Reply #7 - Mar 29, 2009 - 09:13
plates are back and look great ,raised plastic,but ally plate is too big...what's the best thing to cut them with to avoid distortion?

Offline sharkey964

• Non-Member
Reply #8 - Mar 29, 2009 - 09:37
I cut sheet ally with a jig saw,then file the edges after.Take not of which way the teeth point,normally they cut on the up stroke.So that is where it will spelch.
Marc.

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Reply #9 - Mar 29, 2009 - 10:16
Jigsaw is probably the best unless you have a nice big guillotine. Find a bit of ply and cut through that at the same time to stop it all jumping/vibrating around. 

Offline Glen

• LRSOC Member
  • Load it up and use it
Reply #10 - Mar 31, 2009 - 16:19
Think early plates were painted or cast, probubly died out before the land-rover as its expencive and time consuming to make but you never know, in the early 50's there might have still been an old plate maker in the town doing it the traditional way?

My Dad reconed the plastic letters were the norm in the 50's/60's, with pressed ones being the posh option.  Nower days every classic seems to have pressed plates (usally with the 1963> smaller letters (so 7 digits fit) which looks a bit wrong, and makes age related numbers stick out even more.  Dads landy has plastic letters still, looks good.  My SW has pressed plates but I think its got the bigger letters so they are probubly original.

Some S1's left the factory with a black wing to paint the number onto direct, so you don't have to have numberplates at all - perfectly legal if its legable from an apropreate distance.  There isn't a standard font you have to use, unlike modern plates.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal