Occasional engine stop/restart problem

Offline dreamin

• LRSOC Member
My rebuilt 2 litre always starts from cold and will run happily all day but, every now and then, usually at low speed/revs, suddenly loses power and wonít restart for 10-15 minutes, then ok again. At first I only noticed it on warms days after a longish run, and thought it might be vapour lock, but today it happened after only a few km, in cool conditions. I suspect fuel and will check all filters, but canít understand why it doesnít seem to happen when travelling at speed. Other posts suggest rotor, condenser or coil but all are new from Distributor Doctor. Any other ideas?

Offline Mark Edmunds

• LRSOC Member
  • Engine overhaul, Overdrive and Gearbox sorted...
Re: Occasional engine stop/restart problem
Reply #1 - Jul 03, 2021 - 17:24
Roger -

How about crud in fuel - other posters on this Forum have had crud in the pick-up tube inside the fuel tank, that when stopped sinks, but when started again the crud rises and blocks the proper fuel feed...Look carefully at all of the fuel filters and make sure that they are all clean.

Good luck and post whatever the issue was once you have rectified it, as it helps others!

Mark

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Jul 03, 2021 - 18:01
I suggest you get a set of the neon in line spark plug indicators.  They come in fours on eBay and elsewhere.

Then when the engine will not start or is running badly you can see that the sparks are coming and are regular and appropriate.

One is often enough but quick to fit all four. 

This separates clearly the ignition faults from the fuel ones. I have found it very helpful from time to time.

There seems to often be an overlap of symptoms

Then you know with reasonable certainty which system to pursue.

Nick.

Offline fulltilt

• Non-Member
  • 92 KA 58
Reply #3 - Jul 03, 2021 - 18:28
QUOTE  -  suddenly loses power and wonít restart for 10-15 minutes, then ok again.

From my experience(s)  -  that is condenser.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal