80'' insurance problems

Offline pullingteeth

• Non-Member
80'' insurance problems
- Feb 25, 2009 - 23:30
i have been told by a well respected insurer and one i have had several landies insured with that my newly accquired 1951 1st jan registered chassis no 161006** cannot be an 80'' and cannot have a 1600cc engine and therefore cannot insure it... am i doing something wrong.DVLA webite has it correctly as  a 1951 1600cc

Offline Bruce

• LRSOC Member
Re: 80'' insurance problems
Reply #1 - Feb 25, 2009 - 23:42
i have been told by a well respected insurer and one i have had several landies insured with that my newly accquired 1951 1st jan registered chassis no 161006** cannot be an 80'' and cannot have a 1600cc engine and therefore cannot insure it... am i doing something wrong.DVLA webite has it correctly as  a 1951 1600cc
Sounds like a case of "computer says no". Try another company. AON are pretty good or Footman James.

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Reply #2 - Feb 26, 2009 - 04:52
It seems most of them put any age Land Rover on the system as 'Defender' these days...........Try another insurer or fax them a copy of the V5 or Heritage Certificate.

Offline mac

• Non-Member
Reply #3 - Feb 26, 2009 - 07:30
Mine are on with Adrian Flux Classic - insured as Land Rover 80's. . .  :nixweiss:

Offline Willerby

• Administrator
Reply #4 - Feb 26, 2009 - 08:50
The classic car insurers certainly seem better than the mainstream.

Hijacking this thread a bit, and a bit UK orientated, how cheap can you get agreed value limited mileage policies?

I never shop around as my classic broker (Norton Heritage I think) comes in with a renewal of 70-80 each year for 3500 agreed value which seems ridiculously cheap but I guess I've never claimed and do less than 3,000 miles a year. I never take the uninsured loss extras or the roadside assistance just the fully comp basic cover. It would cost me more to phone around and have hassle of paperwork and new valuations than I could possible save.

Discuss.  ;D

Offline mac

• Non-Member
Reply #5 - Feb 26, 2009 - 09:08
Hijacking this thread a bit, and a bit UK orientated, how cheap can you get agreed value limited mileage policies?

By their nature Classic policies are usually limited mileage. It still depends on a lot of other factors though - location/storage/mileage/value so to compare would be difficult.  Just under 80 I think and I'm mid 30's in a rural area and MAL is valued (a little harshly) at 2500.

Offline stephen sutton

• Non-Member
  • Unexploded Bomb!
Reply #6 - Mar 21, 2009 - 16:49
Mines with Norwich Union Classic Car Insurance for 84 p.a with an agreed value of 7,500...Im very pleased! ;D

Offline mr.scruff

• Non-Member
Reply #7 - Mar 22, 2009 - 18:20
I've got both of mine on a single policy with Footman James; top people and the girl on the phone didn't bat an eyelid when my (to be reclaimed) 80'' reg no didn't come up on the computer.

Offline pullingteeth

• Non-Member
Reply #8 - Mar 22, 2009 - 18:21
to be fair, i phoned back the next day,did not get same 'computer says no' guy and it all went swimmingly

Offline Glen

• LRSOC Member
  • Load it up and use it
Reply #9 - Mar 31, 2009 - 19:47
I've been acused of lieing by an insurance company as they "didn't make a land rover 88 in 1956", my drive thinks otherwise, as thankfully does the insurance company I went with (Footman James).  Down to about 350 at the moment but I'm under 25, can drive it as much as I like (which is handy as 6k miles isn't enough, and that often seems to be the max limit), and its down as my main vehicle.  Oh its been "modified" too, which means with the age thing there was only about 2 insurance companys that'd take me on, must be the raw power of the 2.25 diesel scarring them off!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal