What did you do in your Land Rover today?

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Re: What did you do in your Land Rover today?
Reply #200 - Feb 15, 2021 - 17:34
To celebrate Fido's 64th Registration Birthday, I drift-bashed up the lane so I could get the Freelander 2 out to civilisation ó probably quite capable on its own, but there's less to damage at the front of a Series 1 if a drift proves too solid to blast through.  Anyhow, it was an excuse for a birthday run!

No photo of today, I'm afraid, but instead a similar one from a previous snowy period.

Offline 6700

• LRSOC Member
  • loose wheel
Reply #201 - Feb 17, 2021 - 16:13
I was planning to go after an absence of a few years, but have changed my mind.  Bob

Come on Bob stop being grumpy, ha ha hope your keeping well.

Andy

Offline 6700

• LRSOC Member
  • loose wheel
Reply #202 - Feb 17, 2021 - 16:16
I just hired a trailer for the Come Back rally  :hoorah:

If your staying on after the show the camp site wants £48 off me just for trailer so Iím takeing it up on a frame.

Andy

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
  • Area Rep: Cambs, Herts, Beds
Reply #203 - Feb 17, 2021 - 19:48
If your staying on after the show the camp site wants £48 off me just for trailer so Iím takeing it up on a frame.

Andy
We are coming back on Monday.  Is that "after the show"?

Offline Henry.M

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
What did you do in your Land Rover today?
Reply #204 - Feb 28, 2021 - 15:18
Hampshire Sunshine at last, roll on driving over to friends for coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC
1 Thank you.

Offline Keith Robertshaw

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86
Reply #205 - Feb 28, 2021 - 18:37
Fixed two leaks.
Block drain tap was leaking, unscrewed it (by hand!) and found the tap spring kaput - found a replacement, cleaned, rebuilt and reassembled! With ptfe tape and a spanner.

Bosch heater was leaking intermittently  - pulled it apart and found the core looks new, the problem is the inlet pipes on the core are smaller than the rubber pipes - probably a metric size. Not sure how to modify - will Speak to Britannia cooling Leeds.

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member
Reply #206 - Feb 28, 2021 - 20:23
If not simply a question of different rubber pipes then you might find the stepped size Silicone hoses used in motorsport helpful.

Can be seen on Ebay under  silicone hose reducer. I used some for something similar - they are a bit stiff but otherwise perfect!

Nick.
1 Thank you.

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #207 - Feb 28, 2021 - 20:53
Finally got capstan winch sorted now just need a hand throttle for 2 1/4 petrol . Annoyingly have the proper series one type may try to adapt it somehow

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

Offline Keith Robertshaw

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86
Reply #208 - Feb 28, 2021 - 21:08
Thanks nick, found some - great call, thank you

Keith

Offline Old Hywel

• Non-Member
Reply #209 - Mar 01, 2021 - 00:29
Finally got capstan winch sorted now just need a hand throttle for 2 1/4 petrol . Annoyingly have the proper series one type may try to adapt it somehow

Donít you need a governor, rather than hand throttle?

Offline msm80

• RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
Reply #210 - Mar 01, 2021 - 07:40
Hampshire Sunshine at last, roll on driving over to friends for coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Hi Henry
Yep me too. Needed an urgent trip to screwfix yesterday in Wareham, but somehow I needed a bit of mindfulness 🤔 on the corner of the local heath on the way home!
M

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #211 - Mar 01, 2021 - 08:28
Hand throttle only specced for capstan winch in WSM all other PTOs need governor  ( still not common  nowadays though)
Probably because when using a bollard winch youhave very fine control of the loading via the free end rope tension ive used my  capstan quite a bit for general winching  work and they are very useable. Not much good for self recovery though
Never snapped a shear pin the thought of that happening and being  pulled back towards the winch by the rope urges caution
Donít you need a governor, rather than hand throttle?

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Reply #212 - Mar 01, 2021 - 08:37
I would urge anyone with a capstan winch to modify it to accept having a shear pin in the drive ( as per versions for late 2A/3),  rather than to rely on the one in the capstan bollard .  As mentioned, if the shear pin breaks in the bollard it is free to rotate and run backwards if you have a load on it.  Because of the friction in a worm & wheel , breakage of a shear pin in the drive  means it just stops but the load can be held on the capstan.  The change only means replacing the fixing pin in the UJ sleeve with the later shear pin .

Offline Mark Edmunds

• LRSOC Member
  • Engine overhaul, Overdrive and Gearbox sorted...
Reply #213 - Mar 01, 2021 - 08:43
Gearbox back in, yet to reattach the speedometer cable, earth strap and both prop shafts...
Engine next, then Bulkhead fitting, oh also wings, radiator grille to be refitted...Will be back on and off the road soon!

Offline tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

Reply #214 - Mar 01, 2021 - 09:11

I am actually fitting a Clayton back in FAP today, the inlet pipes have reducers in like yours. I am using 1/2" ID   rubber pipe onto heater, then drilling out  end to go onto 5/8" OD heater pipes.

Reply #215 - Mar 01, 2021 - 10:41

Derek,  That is good advice as long as the shear pin you fit in the drive line, breaks before the existing smaller safety pin fitted in the bollard breaks.  Aeroparts increased the diameter of the safety pin in bollard from 0.265" to 0.328" when they fitted the brass shear pin in drive line. I would suggest fitting the larger  safety pin in bollard when fitting the brass shear pin.

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Reply #216 - Mar 01, 2021 - 10:56
Hi Bob
I didn't know the bollard pin changed, you learn something every day  . Do you know what grade steel was used in the bollard pin , I was wondering if you upped the bollard pin steel grade , the brass pin would always go first.  I might do some calculations, the capstan was rated at 3000 lbs pull

Reply #217 - Mar 01, 2021 - 15:31

Have fitted the Clayton in which Edseries49  has done another great job painting it for me. Copper pipes are bent, the 1/2" ID rubber pipe fits the 5/8" OD copper fine , decided too cold to carry on outside.

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #218 - Mar 01, 2021 - 18:43
I would second that I  have a shear pin in the driveshaft but thinking now that the bollard pin might let go first
I would urge anyone with a capstan winch to modify it to accept having a shear pin in the drive ( as per versions for late 2A/3),  rather than to rely on the one in the capstan bollard .  As mentioned, if the shear pin breaks in the bollard it is free to rotate and run backwards if you have a load on it.  Because of the friction in a worm & wheel , breakage of a shear pin in the drive  means it just stops but the load can be held on the capstan.  The change only means replacing the fixing pin in the UJ sleeve with the later shear pin .

Reply #219 - Mar 01, 2021 - 21:30
       The hole in  the worm drive, and universal joint where mills pin is in, is smaller on the early winch that would have the smaller diameter safety pin in bollard. It is 1/4" diameter, I am wondering if a brass shearpin  will fit. I remember the worm drive is very hard steel. The hole in later universal joints and worm drive seems to be 9/32".

Offline Keith Robertshaw

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86
Reply #220 - Mar 02, 2021 - 22:48
     I am actually fitting a Clayton back in FAP today, the inlet pipes have reducers in like yours. I am using 1/2" ID   rubber pipe onto heater, then drilling out  end to go onto 5/8" OD heater pipes.

Hi Bob, did this work out ok? Is there enough Ďmeatí left on the pipe?  Iíve seen some 1/2 pipe thatís is 20mm o/d, so drilling out for 5/8 - 15.8mm - leaves a 2mm wall thickness. Do you think the pipe is still strong enough for the pressure?

Keith

Reply #221 - Mar 03, 2021 - 10:04
Keith, Yes Ok , the OD of my pipe is 22.5mm, so there is plenty round it. No ides where I got it from.

Reply #222 - Mar 03, 2021 - 11:10

Keith,   I have just done it another way, using 20mm  OD, 1/2"   ID rubber.   No drilling needed.  Linish the ends of your 5/8" heater pipes to give a slight taper, get the end hot with a blow lamp, simply push the rubber pipe on, better than drilling.
1 Thank you.

Offline shropshire lad

• LRSOC Member
Reply #223 - Mar 06, 2021 - 19:52
Picked up 1.5cu. metres of landscaping bark from my local nursery , which took the bounce out the springs .

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #224 - Mar 06, 2021 - 23:22
Looks like a  extra axle would support that extended tray nicely good looking truck

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal