What did you do in your Land Rover today?

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Re: What did you do in your Land Rover today?
Reply #525 - Mar 25, 2022 - 08:53
Stone walling?  It's not a term I'm familiar with in the North Riding rural community.

:huh: The word may  describe smoke along a horizon... ( perhaps it has Balto-Slavic origins.. :lipsrsealed: :tic:)

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Reply #526 - Mar 25, 2022 - 10:10
Sorry folks possibly a local thing. It refers to the burning of dead gorse which is the smoke in the back ground.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Reply #527 - Mar 25, 2022 - 12:23
Sorry folks possibly a local thing. It refers to the burning of dead gorse which is the smoke in the back ground.

Thanks for that definition... I looked it up in an "Urban Dictionary" and it led me to very strange sexual practices..... I will be able to sleep at night again now....

Offline Windybuffer

• LRSOC Member
Reply #528 - Mar 26, 2022 - 18:14
Got it ready for some deep wading!   :tic:

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #529 - Mar 26, 2022 - 18:34
Got it ready for some deep wading!   :tic:

Brings back memories of how much I hated the stupid shear spring arrangement.  The spring coupling to the prop so peed me off I sold the Seagull and bought an Evinrude..... one of my better decisions.......

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #530 - Mar 27, 2022 - 06:55
Nice to see a British Seagull ó for some reason I was fascinated by them as a kid, even though there was no chance we'd ever get a boat, let alone an outboard.

A nice story:  there was a government promotional film made about water safety, and the theme was a group in a boat in trouble because the motor wouldn't start... and it was a Seagull (or maybe an Anzani... the memory fades after 70 years!).  The company protested because their boast was that their engines would always start, and this was detrimental to their image.  The Government reply was that it was policy only to show British-made products in their films, and they were the only British-made outboard engine!

Offline davep10000

• LRSOC Member
Reply #531 - Apr 02, 2022 - 18:46
Went to watch the VSCC Scottish trial (Pre 1930s cars) in the borders around Coulter today.
Around 50 vintage cars climbing almost impossible very very steep muddy hills.
Mainly Austin 7's, but a few Rileys, Wolseleys, Singers, Model A Fords, and a Bentley or two.

Here I am the one with the 'new car' (Friends' have a 1920s Humber and a Morris 8).
2 Thanks.

Offline Dpaz

• LRSOC Member
Reply #532 - Apr 02, 2022 - 21:39
Graeme, In the Seagull manual as I remember it said; ' If the engine does not start after the third pull, change the plug for a clean one! Will people do this, no they won't!' With a 10:1 oil mix (Very expensive now) they would oil up if not run hard. I still have a Century clutchless but no boat.

Offline simondewing

• LRSOC Member
Reply #533 - Apr 02, 2022 - 21:57
Trick when that happens is to take a blow lamp and wire brush out with with you; then you can remove the plug burn off the oil, brush away  the carbon and replace.
They start better when the plug is hot.
That said it generally only happens if the compression is really low or you use the choke when the engine is hot.
They're a bit like series 1's, primitive, noisy, almost indestructible and will  run when pulled out of the back of a shed even after years of neglect.
They also tend to breed when you are not looking, so you end up with more than you can usefully use (but they don't take as much space!).
That said I currently have twice as many land rovers as seagulls!

Rgds

Simon

Offline 34058

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #534 - Apr 03, 2022 - 13:23
A trick that I was shown in the late 1970s was to use a pencil to make a deposit of graphite on the spark plug electrode.  Allegedly the graphite was supposed to remain glowing for a while after the spark had passed through it.

This trick certainly got a very worn out Briggs and Stratton engine on a farm bale elevator running.

David

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #535 - Apr 03, 2022 - 14:13
A trick that I was shown in the late 1970s was to use a pencil to make a deposit of graphite on the spark plug electrode.  Allegedly the graphite was supposed to remain glowing for a while after the spark had passed through it.

This trick certainly got a very worn out Briggs and Stratton engine on a farm bale elevator running.

David
I heard the theory was that electrons are emitted better from pointed surfaces and the flakes of graphite on the electrode where thin so the edge of the flakes made electron release far more likely that the flat/ rounded edge profile of the electrode.

The trick is said to work because sparks propagate easier from the flakes of graphite. 

• LRSOC Member
Reply #536 - Apr 03, 2022 - 14:38
So that's why I always have a pencil in my pocket!

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Reply #537 - Apr 03, 2022 - 20:15
You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.
1 Thank you.

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
  • Area Rep: Cambs, Herts, Beds
Reply #538 - Apr 11, 2022 - 09:00
Completed the Cambridge Car Club Classic Car rally.

Sent from my SM-S908B using LRSOC mobile app

Online GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #539 - Apr 17, 2022 - 12:54
Easter field rounds, with cherries in full bloom.  Thanks to the neighbors for lending me a  battery pole cleaner and some dielectric pole grease to bring the battery up to prime condition.

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC
1 Thank you.

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
Reply #540 - Apr 24, 2022 - 18:04
Took her to a local classic car run. Sadly i forgot to take a pic of the lineup of Morgans Mg's, Healey's and one very nice series 1 107sw only the range classic remained... As the driver failed to start it. After some fiddeling with the auto inhibitor switch off they went.
Regards Eddy

Offline Terrastlata

• LRSOC Member
Reply #541 - Apr 24, 2022 - 19:22
Tissington and then through the ford towards Parwich. Hello to whomever we met briefly in a very nice 80Ē.

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Reply #542 - Apr 24, 2022 - 21:11
Not today but yesterday
I visited my nephew and had a look over some of the engines that are in process of being worked on.

He has pressure tested my spreadbore block that has been welded up and it has to go back for a couple of minor leaks to be redone but not much in the scale of things.  He also had some spare big end shells for that engine too

We had a good look at sideplate engine 227, it is still standard bore without any appreaciable wear.  I can remember in 1971 having a reground crank and one of the bearings picking up straight away.  it was down to no oil hole in the centre main shell we think. (how we missed that in the rebuild I dont know but it was a long time ago.)  Anyhow the crank looks perfect but he is looking fora pair of +0010 centre main bearing shells and pair of +0020 big end shells.  He has a pair of +0015 front or rear main bearing shells still in their wax wrappings that could be used as a trade.  He intends putting it together and getting it running, possibly in the 49 then it will be up for sale. 

Dont hold your breath though he works at snails pace.

Peter

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
Reply #543 - Apr 25, 2022 - 18:51
Put her on the 4post lift for service. Just fits showing how narrow the S1 tracks are....
Regards Eddy

Offline anthall

• LRSOC Member
Reply #544 - Apr 28, 2022 - 07:55
My '52 earning its keep in France now...

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
Reply #545 - May 01, 2022 - 07:17
I have to admit there are much worse views waking op in the rooftent...
Land rover sortout Stolberg.
Regards Eddy

Offline scimart

• LRSOC Member
Reply #546 - May 03, 2022 - 12:33
I ďdroveĒ my 86 for the first time in well over 25 years!

I decided that it was time to run the engine for the first time in this millennium, since a short run after unseizing it before I started the strip down to rebuild the bulkhead and chassis which was to take rather longer than anticipated due to work and a new hobby getting in the way.

The head had to come off again when I found a stuck inlet valve a couple of years ago - oddly it seemed to have doubled in weight over the years!

The first problem was that the fuel pump that I hadnít tested since treating it to a rebuild kit last year didnít draw fuel from the tank but after establishing that I had an air leak somewhere in the tank feed section, I rigged up a direct feed from the tank to the pump and it sucked like a newborn elephant!  An unexpected oil leak was spotted from the rear rocker shaft union while priming the oil system (I was sure Iíd done it up as Iíd tested the oil pressure gauge with the starter motor a year or so ago after replacing the pipe and I donít recall slackening it off the couple of turns it needed to tighten it🫢) and then after mopping up the worst of the spill and cleaning the points, I turned on the ignition and pressed the starter. I was rewarded with an instant start and a few seconds of running. Suspecting that it had run on the priming pumps and squirt of easystart that Iíd given it I applied half choke and after a couple of turns it commenced to run steadily - with a bit of smoke from the residual oil spill as it warmed up.

There are a few snags to sort - the air leak in the fuel feed of course plus a lack of action from the charging system (not a total surprise) but at least sheís moved forwards and backwards under her own steam now and this should encourage me to pull my finger out to get the old girl back on the road as was my intention when I started the project with the bulkhead renovation back in the 90s. 

• LRSOC Member
Reply #547 - May 03, 2022 - 14:13
I ďdroveĒ my 86 for the first time in well over 25 years!

Yup, Series 1 jobs are never quick, are they?!  Don't ask me how I know.

Offline 34058

Reply #548 - May 03, 2022 - 16:15
It took me from circa 1985 to 1998 to get my 80" totally mechanically rebuilt.
As the chap who helped me with the metalwork on the bulkhead used to say "You can't rush a craftsman".

Sent from my two tin cans joined with a bit of string.

Offline scimart

• LRSOC Member
Reply #549 - May 03, 2022 - 17:37
Iíll remember that one!  Air leak in tank piping sorted and the dynamo is surprisingly ok after so many years. Just need to sort out a problem in the voltage regulator which isnít cutting in (many decades since I played with one - hopefully itíll be straightforward once I remind myself of its workings). Iíd forgotten how easily these engines start when everything is ok!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal