What did you do in your Land Rover today?

GunnarTM and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Re: What did you do in your Land Rover today?
Reply #450 - Sep 04, 2021 - 22:27
Found that my recondition steering box does not hold oil.... pizzing EP 90 out the side cover...... not amused.....

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
Reply #451 - Sep 05, 2021 - 20:31
Found that my recondition steering box does not hold oil.... pizzing EP 90 out the side cover...... not amused.....
Had to reseal mine twice.
Used silicone liquid sealant in the end.
The joint washers were not sufficient to seal it.
Third time succes....

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
Reply #452 - Sep 05, 2021 - 20:34
Took her to a local classic car and tractor rally.
Was the only land rover let alone series 1 80"
Done 160 kilometres and missed not a single beat :smiley:

Online TAC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #453 - Sep 06, 2021 - 09:05
Collecting horse manure for the garden

Sent from my iPad using LRSOC

Offline midlandoak

• LRSOC Member
Reply #454 - Sep 06, 2021 - 13:33
HEW gets a new suit

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

Reply #455 - Sep 12, 2021 - 14:38
      I have been making the two piece clips for the 1600cc engine breather pipe. They take longer to make than  to bend the pipe, no wonder not many are fitted.  Note that the bracket bolted to the head , fits inside the bracket around the breather pipe.

PS the sparewheel hook at bottom is to keep the pipe  from  falling over when taking picture.
1 Thank you.

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
Reply #456 - Sep 15, 2021 - 17:36
Took her for a ride... Old fashion style.... The only thing dat was difficult to find was an old fashion map. Specially when i asked for positive earth.... :angel: She ran super..
Regards Eddy

Offline vardjewell Home Trader

• LRSOC Member
Reply #457 - Sep 16, 2021 - 12:05
First drive yesterday since RH hip replacement in the disco, not quite enough muscle power to be sure I can carry out an emergency stop in the old girls. I should have fitted the remote servos I guess. Looking forward to getting the S1 out and about once again. Another week for full discharge and back driving. Cant come soon enough!
    Vardon

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
  • Area Rep: Cambs, Herts, Beds
Reply #458 - Sep 16, 2021 - 14:45
Nice to know you are on the mend and "out there" again.

David

Sent from my SM-G975F using LRSOC mobile app

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #459 - Sep 17, 2021 - 10:41
It's been a strange summer and the 107SW has sat for many weeks hardly in use at all. But yesterday made a change. After at least a month of idleness, and turning into a bit of a cupboard full of odd "junk" in the shed...  I turned the ignition on, and pulled the cold start. Once the petrol pump had ticked itself to a standstill, and after a my customary single pump on the accelerator pedal...magic.  More out of habit than expectation (!) I pressed the starter button. The engine hardly revolved , just purred into life immediately and took me and a pair of oars off for a mile or two,  to prepare a boat to face big winds today, and get ready for winter lay up before the first autumn storm later next week.

This photo was taken along there on a similar damp day a decade ago, why bother to take a new one ? so few things really " really" change.  :huh:  :angel: .

And the Land Rover pulled like a train., I had almost forgotten how well it was running before I became a bit distracted out on the water and away from the roads so much through this summer.
4 Thanks.

Offline gcc130

• LRSOC Member
  • Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Bristol Area Rep.
Reply #460 - Sep 18, 2021 - 13:03
We attended our first classic car meet in two years. Only a small local meet but a pleasant few hours in the sunshine😊
1 Thank you.

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #461 - Sep 18, 2021 - 17:52
A nice, varied line-up.

Offline gcc130

• LRSOC Member
  • Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Bristol Area Rep.
Reply #462 - Sep 18, 2021 - 18:16
Yes, it was a very laid back event, put on at very short notice, with vehicles coming and going as they wished.
As you say a varied line up and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.
Now talk of repeating next year with a bit more notice and planning. Hopefully we will be able to get a few more Landrovers to the next one.
There was a very nice original, low mileage Gipsy.
1 Thank you.

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
Reply #463 - Sep 19, 2021 - 18:58
Took her to the Ardennes for the first substantial trip.
750 kilometres in 4 days.
Today came home 260 in one go... Only stopped twice to rest en twice to top up fuel.
For the rest.... She ran faultless.
Just wiper motor stopped working.... Yep Chinese rubbish...
1 Thank you.

Offline mattc

• LRSOC Member
Reply #464 - Sep 19, 2021 - 22:35
I took the Land Rover out with the vague intention to dispose of some cardboard and glass in the recycling bins at the supermarket. I decided to go the long way, via the Cold Fell Road near Ennerdale Bridge in Cumbria.  ;D
1 Thank you.

Online GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #465 - Sep 25, 2021 - 14:06
Putted up to the Kronenhof https://www.hofgut-kronenhof.de in the '53 80" to see the Zeppelin NT's annual visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin_NT .

1 Thank you.

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #466 - Sep 25, 2021 - 14:11
What a beautiful forecourt and Benzin pump!
1 Thank you.

Online GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #467 - Sep 25, 2021 - 14:14
What a beautiful forecourt and Benzin pump!
Our neighbor across the fields bought the old Opel dealership around the corner from his estate and turned it into a proper car museum https://www.central-garage.de .

2 Thanks.

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #468 - Sep 27, 2021 - 18:15
Went to Shildon to see progress on the G5 newbuild locomotive project,  makes series one parts seem very cheap    (eg £25 for each cylinder cover stud )
Great project though ,they have most of the big bits but still need valvegear (50k !) water tanks con rods and loads of expensive ancillaries eg pipework
Ps phone died so didn't get pic of Rover

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

2 Thanks.

Offline 34058

Reply #469 - Oct 01, 2021 - 20:00
Set it and myself alight!  I was trying to sort out starting problems.

The carb must have been flooding.  There was petrol dripping out of the exhaust manifold.  I thought I had a bad connection on the starter motor so I was tweaking the big wire to the starter.  It has a solenoid mounted on the chassis leg close to the starter.  My fiddling produced a spark which ignited the dripping petrol causing a fire below the exhaust manifold and on my petrol soaked sleeve.

Luckily I had a full watering can to hand, and another 1,520 litres of rainwater in a storage tank right next to the vehicle.

Later I found out that the problem was caused by a flat battery.

David.

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #470 - Oct 02, 2021 - 19:01
Moved a heap of workshop gear today, compressor 2 welders drill press axle stands couple of wheels 2 Sankey trailer axles with springs and a very heavy old Record vice
Not sure of weight but only about 1/2" off bump stops. Lightened steering a bit haha

Offline Calum Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #471 - Oct 03, 2021 - 09:20
Went to Shildon to see progress on the G5 newbuild locomotive project,  makes series one parts seem very cheap    (eg £25 for each cylinder cover stud )
Great project though ,they have most of the big bits but still need valvegear (50k !) water tanks con rods and loads of expensive ancillaries eg pipework
Ps phone died so didn't get pic of Rover

Seems steep for some studs, even if threaded manually! I'm sure we don't charge that much for the ones that we make.
Not seen that project before (mind, I don't follow that closely). There's more new builds than you can shake a stick at, which I find a shame when there are so many existing engines sat awaiting restoration already. Looks nice though. I hope they get it all completed smoothly unlike some of the others...

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #472 - Oct 03, 2021 - 10:51
I agree to some extent but like a lot of things eg buildings there cones a point where it is cheaper to start again and if you really want a g5 there aren't any wrecks to rebuild they were all scrapped long ago. Doesn't yet apply to series ones but you never know
It seems a lot of the cost is  down to main line certification everything rail related just costs mega£
Funnily enough just a few miles away is the massive P2 project which makes the little  g5 seem like a backyard build shows the power of crowdfunding I suppose
Seems steep for some studs, even if threaded manually! I'm sure we don't charge that much for the ones that we make.
Not seen that project before (mind, I don't follow that closely). There's more new builds than you can shake a stick at, which I find a shame when there are so many existing engines sat awaiting restoration already. Looks nice though. I hope they get it all completed smoothly unlike some of the others...

Offline Calum Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #473 - Oct 04, 2021 - 14:23
I agree to some extent but like a lot of things eg buildings there cones a point where it is cheaper to start again and if you really want a g5 there aren't any wrecks to rebuild they were all scrapped long ago. Doesn't yet apply to series ones but you never know
It seems a lot of the cost is  down to main line certification everything rail related just costs mega£
Funnily enough just a few miles away is the massive P2 project which makes the little  g5 seem like a backyard build shows the power of crowdfunding I suppose

Oh yes I fully understand, most of the studs we make go on mainline steam locos as well which was how I was making a comparison in my head! For things like studs though there's not much in the way of a justified price hike other than they should be made of a suitable grade with material certs to back it up.

The cynic in me often thinks with these long gone classes of engines that maybe there was a reason they were withdrawn and scrapped so long ago with no survivors :tic:

Again, I will repeat myself by saying it's good to see though and I hope it all goes well for them!

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #474 - Oct 04, 2021 - 16:17
Oh yes I fully understand, most of the studs we make go on mainline steam locos as well which was how I was making a comparison in my head! For things like studs though there's not much in the way of a justified price hike other than they should be made of a suitable grade with material certs to back it up.

The cynic in me often thinks with these long gone classes of engines that maybe there was a reason they were withdrawn and scrapped so long ago with no survivors :tic:

Again, I will repeat myself by saying it's good to see though and I hope it all goes well for them!
I suppose we're drifting further from series ones but many of us like other forms of transport too. AFAIK  the g5 was a very successful class on local passenger work but was withdrawn en masse in the late 50s with the arrival of the diesel muliple units. I'm too young to remember them but many in the North East have fond memories of them and surviving drivers speak well of them

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal