What did you do in your Land Rover today?

Offline tobes01

• LRSOC Member
Re: What did you do in your Land Rover today?
Reply #175 - Jan 10, 2021 - 18:27
Forgot to get a photo, but dug the old girl out for a midwinter run to the rubbish dump - started first press, trundled happily into town (or she was at least, I'd forgotten my jacket and gloves and hat in the rush to keep the appointment slot so I was FREEZING without the door tops) and back again (still freezing). She's all tucked up again with the heater and dehumidifier doing their part to keep her pampered for the spring...

Offline tobes01

• LRSOC Member
Reply #176 - Jan 16, 2021 - 12:51
Another lockdown weekend, another trip to the tip...

Offline Kev 1974

• Non-Member
Reply #177 - Jan 17, 2021 - 20:15
Amazing, loving all the photos.

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #178 - Jan 19, 2021 - 13:21
I last drove the 107Sw anywhere in early December. It hides in a large shed most of the time. With changes in temperature and humidity these past weeks..from complete frost, down to min..- 10deg C ,  never plus anything for 5 days earlier this month,  to today with +4 degrees and temperature falling. The inside of said SW is all a  bit damp now..seats horribly cold and clammy.

Anyway.. to the "chase".

A Disco 3 must get through MOT so to allow battle to recommence the SW had to move outside to permit space.

Climb in , check choke was out, switch on ignition, listen for fuel tick to stop. One single pump on the pedal,...foot off pedal .. press button and it fired perfectly first time. after 6 weeks...

great Machines these old Land Rovers  :smiley:

4 Thanks.

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
    • The Teeafit's website
Reply #179 - Jan 19, 2021 - 16:06
Climb in , check choke was out, switch on ignition, listen for fuel tick to stop. One single pump on the pedal,...foot off pedal .. press button and it fired perfectly first time. after 6 weeks...

I wish mine would do that!  Solex has arrived safely with Carburetter Exchange, despite Royal Mail's tracking system saying that it's still in the Post Office in Whitby after 8 days!

Offline discostar93

• LRSOC Member
Reply #180 - Jan 19, 2021 - 16:11
The Series 1 and later 2.25  petrol engines are usually great at starting on the button, even with a  flattish battery !

But I think my M.F. 35  3 cylinder Perkins is even better , mid winter , no heat  - immediate  starting !
 Also an old International Drott used to be just as good in the 70’s.

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
    • The Teeafit's website
Reply #181 - Jan 29, 2021 - 17:30
Took the carb off and parcelled it up for overhaul by Carburetter Exchange.

Carb back, fitted, went for the longest non-spluttering run in twelve months... only up to the village and back, though, because I had no door on, and it's cold and mucky-wet Yorkshire mist out there tonight.

The problem?  Dave Osborne of Carburetter Exchange reported that there was "a restriction in the main circuit" — ie something stopping the full flow inside the Solex.  What was it?  We don't know — no obvious lumps of crud came out, but it was effectively removed by ultrasound cleaning.

What worries me is was this another result of increased ethanol in the fuel?  Part of my (abortive) search for the cause included a full check of the (new-ish) fuel pipe system, so it's a bit soon for that to be breaking down inside, I'd have thought.

Offline nismonick

• LRSOC Member
  • 1949 80" & 1959 Series 2
    • Evans Garage
Reply #182 - Jan 31, 2021 - 16:51
Great day today, took my 4 year old son out for his first trip in the series 1 ( he is a very keen Land Rover man already ) to throw out a load of old garden waste, including a still surprisingly good Christmas tree which has been cluttering up the garden for 3 weeks.

Offline Bjornung

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #183 - Feb 05, 2021 - 16:53
Sorry - no pictures.

Took my 86" out today for the first time this year.
Blue sky, sun mostly dry pavement, pleasant drive, but the short departure onto a narrow side road was interesting.

Came to the conclusion, not surprisingly I must add, that the 7.00X16 Fedima Maxima's was shockingly inadequate on compacted snow/ice.
Going nowhere in 4DW on a 2-3% incline, luckily there were an escape route.  :tongue:

As suspected, but I just had to try  :tic:
Not going to repeat it on snow and ice with those tyres though!

PS - is the spelling checker here on the Forum US english?

Bjørnung
86" 1955
Daily car - Discovery 4 SDV6 2015
Previous owned LR: Discovery II V8, 110, RRC 1978 (my daily car for 30 years)
Other interest - I am also known as LA9ULA (monitoring DMR BM 242 and YSF 44919)  and have photography in general as a small hobby.

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
Reply #184 - Feb 05, 2021 - 17:05
Sorry - no pictures.

Came to the conclusion, not surprisingly I must add, that the 7.00X16 Fedima Maxima's was shockingly inadequate on compacted snow/ice.

Bjørnung

What pressures had you set in the tyres?

It may sound daft but are you sure you were in 4wd?  Sometimes I have forgotten to engage the free wheeling hubs!

Offline Bjornung

Reply #185 - Feb 05, 2021 - 21:45
What pressures had you set in the tyres?

It may sound daft but are you sure you were in 4wd?  Sometimes I have forgotten to engage the free wheeling hubs!

Yes, I did check because I thought myself I was not in 4wd.  ;D
Can't remember right now the pressure, but normal road, light load, pressure.

I should point out that I forgot to describe the conditions.
Snow that has been compacted to almost ice, very hard, by road traffic over a week or so, having mostly winter tires without studs.
Temperature around -3degC very slippery.
Had it been  more cold, for instance below -10C like the other day when we had -13C, I don't think I would have had any problem.
(This is an unusually cold January and February so far in my part of Norway, 10 years since last time this cold, normally we do not see any snow along the coast here)

Since almost no one uses studded winter tires anymore, we get this very slippery surface.
Would benefit for having a few cars with studded tires ripping up the surface  creating better grip.

Bjørnung

86" 1955
Other interest - I am also known as LA9ULA (monitoring DMR BM 242 and YSF 44919)  and have photography in general as a small hobby.

Offline rd10014

• LRSOC Member
Reply #186 - Feb 06, 2021 - 01:31
I finally changed my historic to period correct plates.  Still has to move an inch to the right, what can I say its a work in progress. 

My daily driver.  😁

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #187 - Feb 06, 2021 - 03:52
Sorry - no pictures.

Took my 86" out today for the first time this year.
Blue sky, sun mostly dry pavement, pleasant drive, but the short departure onto a narrow side road was interesting.

Going nowhere in 4DW on a 2-3% incline, luckily there were an escape route.  :tongue:

As suspected, but I just had to try  :tic:
Not going to repeat it on snow and ice with those tyres though!

Bjørnung
I think in those conditions you are going to struggle without studded tyres.
Eveliene 1953 Minerva.

Offline Bjornung

Reply #188 - Feb 06, 2021 - 07:41
I think in those conditions you are going to struggle without studded tyres.
I absolutely agree, but most cars with winter tyres without studs made it up the worst steep part, that came later probably at 15 degrees, at least one did not.

(Note - these Fedima tyres are marked with "mud & snow" and according to law legal as winter tyres)

Don't get me wrong, I knew this side trip was a risky business on such tyres, I should not even have attempted.
The main roads were dry and clear and  perfectly safe. I love these tyres on dry roads and off road as long as there is no ice.

I need a set of  dedicated winter tyres I think, need to start looking for 4 second hand whees for them as well...but in a weeks time I guess we are back to normal rainy weather again...

Bjørnung

Bjørnung

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals

86" 1955

Offline Black Sheep

• Non-Member
  • 1952 ex NZ Army
Reply #189 - Feb 11, 2021 - 10:49
Collecting trailer loads of brushwood from hedge cutting. Parked overnight in -9, started first prod. Of course.
1 Thank you.

Offline B.S.F.

• Non-Member
Reply #190 - Feb 11, 2021 - 11:35
I'm still trying to figure out when and why those "10 full squares between the lights" grilles were introduced.
.W.

Offline shropshire lad

• LRSOC Member
Reply #191 - Feb 11, 2021 - 11:42
Moved some firewood out of the field . The steering was a lot lighter with that lot on board.
1 Thank you.

Offline Robbie

• Non-Member
Reply #192 - Feb 12, 2021 - 17:59
Went to the butchers and stopped by The Queen’s place on the way back, she wasn’t home. 

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC
1 Thank you.

Offline vardjewell Home Trader

• LRSOC Member
Reply #193 - Feb 13, 2021 - 21:24
 Bjorung, I’m surprised that studded tyres are not now frequently used in Norway. On the three occasions I’ve lived and worked in Norway our hire cars where wheel changed in October and changed back in April . My own Ford Cortina I always carried chains. But never used them. As you say the west coast wasn’t too snowy. I was based in Rosenberg Yard for Marathon. Moved to Haugesund. But Stord certainly saw more snow when working and living there for Shell. Must admit its amazing the road groves/damage caused by studs! 
Back here in Derbyshire decades ago I had chains for my then 2A and 3, they certainly make a difference when the roads are truly snow covered. Today nothing overcomes the clowns out in such conditions with totally unsuitable vehicles and tyres blocking the roads completely !
      Vardon
TTV326H. 1955, 86" V8
NTV838.   1951, 80" P4

Offline Bjornung

Reply #194 - Feb 14, 2021 - 09:41
Bjorung, I’m surprised that studded tyres are not now frequently used in Norway. On the three occasions I’ve lived and worked in Norway our hire cars where wheel changed in October and changed back in April . My own Ford Cortina I always carried chains. But never used them. As you say the west coast wasn’t too snowy. I was based in Rosenberg Yard for Marathon. Moved to Haugesund. But Stord certainly saw more snow when working and living there for Shell. Must admit its amazing the road groves/damage caused by studs! 
Back here in Derbyshire decades ago I had chains for my then 2A and 3, they certainly make a difference when the roads are truly snow covered. Today nothing overcomes the clowns out in such conditions with totally unsuitable vehicles and tyres blocking the roads completely !
      Vardon

I live near Stavanger, which is a city between Bergen and Kristiansand in the south, but Stavanger is warmer in winter with less snow, and colder in summer than both those cities.

Studded tyres are used quite extensively in rural areas and up in the mountains, but the 4 biggest cities has banned the use,  unless you pay a fee for the winter season. 
This fee is currently around 120GBP per season, or less per month if you prefer.
This means that in Stavanger and immediate area, only 10% use studded tyres, but many change over to studded tyres only when the need is there, like when going to the cabin or over the mountains.

The reason for this is the problems with air borne dust and health problems, as well as wear on the roads.
However, there are arguments against the ban due to more accidents and roads being more slippery due to few cars using studded tyres.
You do need to have approved winter tyres though, which have become quite good, but not particularly on wet ice.

Rosenberg is an important yard and has been for generations.

Bjørnung

1 Thank you.
86" 1955

Offline GunnarTM

• Verein Landschaftsschutz Platzenberg
Reply #195 - Feb 14, 2021 - 10:44
I should point out that I forgot to describe the conditions.
Snow that has been compacted to almost ice, very hard, by road traffic over a week or so, having mostly winter tires without studs.
Temperature around -3degC very slippery.
Had it been  more cold, for instance below -10C like the other day when we had -13C, I don't think I would have had any problem.
(This is an unusually cold January and February so far in my part of Norway, 10 years since last time this cold, normally we do not see any snow along the coast here)

Since almost no one uses studded winter tires anymore, we get this very slippery surface.
Would benefit for having a few cars with studded tires ripping up the surface  creating better grip.
I was out doing field rounds yesterday in my '15 Defender, which has really chunky Goodyear Wrangler offroad tires.  There's a section of road where water migrates out of a natural spring and the road is completely frozen over with just a bit of snow on top.  I descended slowly, and felt it losing grip until it hit a little dirt berm on the shoulder.  This morning when I was walking the dogs, I watched a van with what looked to be regular winter tires approach the same section from the other side, but the driver really gunned it to get a "runny", and it went right up no issues.  It made me wonder if having a flatter profile on a really slick surface actually performs better than knobbies.
'53 Series I 80" 36102446 HG-UE53H née 409YUE née YJH780F née 44AA91
Previous owner: '62 Series IIa 109" Current fleet: '13 LR4, '13 LR2, '15 Defender Heritage Edition 90", '18 Discovery Sport

Offline GunnarTM

• Verein Landschaftsschutz Platzenberg
Reply #196 - Feb 14, 2021 - 11:01

I have hear rumours of this.  As I was writing my colourful reply on tyres,  I laboured under the delusion that I had made no honourable mistakes.  I went back to my parlour, poured a half-litre of lacklustre beer, and read some humourous verse and a book on industrial organisation. 

I counted 10 red squiggly underlines above (not including your not capitalising "English"), so the answer seems to be yes ;-)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_spelling_differences

With apologies to Winston Churchill or whomever actually said it "this is behaviour with which I will not put!"  https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/11/14/churchill-on-prepositions/
'53 Series I 80" 36102446 HG-UE53H née 409YUE née YJH780F née 44AA91
Previous owner: '62 Series IIa 109" Current fleet: '13 LR4, '13 LR2, '15 Defender Heritage Edition 90", '18 Discovery Sport

Offline Mark Edmunds

• LRSOC Member
  • Engine overhaul, Overdrive and Gearbox sorted...
Reply #197 - Feb 14, 2021 - 15:51
Not in, but with...Stripped Bellhousing from gearbox...to find a rattling Layshaft bearing...

Offline joetwist

• LRSOC Member
Reply #198 - Feb 15, 2021 - 10:25
According to the speedo app on my phone, 51mph.......first time above 50 (under its own power) since at least 1986

Sent from my SM-T715Y using LRSOC mobile app

Offline jkhackney

• Non-Member
  • October 55 86", late 2A Dormobile
Reply #199 - Feb 15, 2021 - 11:11
Parked it at the sawmill and went skiing!

2 Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal