Split Posts from Good 88 inch chassis wanted.

agdenbogtrotter and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Others may have a different view but isn’t the chassis the legal identity of the vehicle? I think in the UK you are only permitted to replace repair an existing chassis or replace with a new one. Swapping the entire chassis with that from another vehicle is fraught with issues.

If transacting on a public forum like this or similarly via eBay or other public selling sites, I would suggest seller and buyer beware… these things have a habit of being investigated and causing horror stories in the future.
Perfectly correct,  a vehicle (built on a chassis rather than monocoque construction) gets its identity from its chassis.

A vehicle which is currently registered can only keep its registration and historic status if the original chassis is repaired of an identical NEW chassis is used.

An old chassis can theoretically be used as a basis for registering a "reconstructed vehicl"  but every single part used must be NOS of come with provenece as to its age, where it came from, proof of purchase, official receipts etc etc.

I have not heard of anyone successfully navigating the paperwork and inspections etc required to use the "reconstructed vehicle" route.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/reconstructed-classic-vehicles

Using an old chassis to rebuild a vehicle that has a log book giving a different chassis number is illegal, even if you weld over the chassis number and restamp it with the V5C chassis number.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Re: Good 88 inch chassis wanted.
Reply #1 - Dec 01, 2022 - 08:19
Perfectly correct,  a vehicle (built on a chassis rather than monocoque construction) gets its identity from its chassis.

A vehicle which is currently registered can only keep its registration and historic status if the original chassis is repaired or an identical NEW chassis is used.

An old chassis can theoretically be used as a basis for registering a "reconstructed vehicle"  but every single part used must be NOS or come with provenece as to its age, where it came from, proof of purchase, official receipts etc etc.

I have not heard of anyone successfully navigating the paperwork and inspections etc required to use the "reconstructed vehicle" route.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/reconstructed-classic-vehicles

Using an old chassis to rebuild a vehicle that has a log book giving a different chassis number is illegal, even if you weld over the chassis number and restamp it with the V5C chassis number.

If detected by the authorities as a "ringer",and  let's not mince our words here, it will be crushed.

Offline davep10000

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Dec 01, 2022 - 08:31
All the above is the present situation, (and has been for some time), and quite correct.
But I wonder how many Series 1s are still around with chassis that were 'swapped' in good faith, decades ago, and the present owners dont even know.
 (The chassis numbers can be illegible at the best of times).

Online scimart

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Dec 01, 2022 - 10:01
After nearly 40 years of ownership, I was horrified to find that my chassis number didn’t match the logbook entry.  After some logical thought, I realised that the chassis and engine numbers had been transposed on an original buff continuation logbook (luckily I’d obtained a copy in pre-data protection days) and armed with the evidence, perhaps foolishly, I approached DVLA to have the details amended. Happily, they agreed and issued me an amended V5 although after seeing some horror stories of their intractability I might have been tempted to let sleeping dogs lie!

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline Trakgrip

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Dec 01, 2022 - 16:16
Hypothetical question: it is OK to "repair" an original chassis and there is, as far as I know, no restriction in using good parts from another contemporary chassis to repair the original. At what point does the original chassis become the other chassis?

For example cutting a good gearbox crossmember from a donor chassis to transplant onto a damaged original chassis would, I imagine, be fine, and clearly a repair. I can't imagine cutting the LH engine mount off both chassis and transplanting the donor chassis onto the original engine mount would be considered the same.

As an aside, I believe that vehicles modified, rebuilt, or repaired in a manner which would not now be allowed have not become retrospectively illegal with the more recent legislation, although I imagine that it would be prudent to have some form of evidence of when the work was done.   

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member
Re: Split Posts from Good 88 inch chassis wanted.
Reply #5 - Dec 01, 2022 - 19:08
Not expressing an opinion about the legalities but 10 - 15y ago one of the then very well known chassis builders said to me that he would build an 80 inch chassis provided I sent him the chassis engine mount from the original chassis on the side with the number stamp.  His view was that doing that prevented the chassis being viewed as a clone and was acceptable then.

I did see one supplied on the that basis (but not to me).

Nick.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal