Trying to discover military history of my 1952 S1 80

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
Hi
I have an S1 80 1952 with a chassis number 26104491 and a reg number of 2858 KM. It was first registered after military service on 15th Oct 1963. I am trying to discover something about its military history, but have had no luck so far.
I would be grateful for any guidance or help in finding out.
Thanks. Phil

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
This is a time period when record cards were kept for 5 years after the vehicle was cast, then discarded.

The likely place to get info (B Cards etc) is the RLC museum but they will not have records from 1963, because they were destroyed before the museum came into existence.

Unless Austychamp (John Mastrangelo) on this forum can help you you are really out of luck. I would PM him as a first move.

Can I suggest you gently sand back front of wings and rear tail gate to see if you can find any unit or regiment markings?

Offline jonhutchings

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
a quick vehicle search turns up a link to one of of Austychamps articles for the land rover register, which seems to indicate that 26104491 had War Office registration 16BH45 as part of contract 6/Veh/7111

Not sure as a non member you'll be able to see these archives, all the more reason to join the LRSOC :) Especially since if you are in Herefordshire I'll be your area rep!

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
I am a bit baffled because I am a member
Thanks for the info

Offline msm80

• RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
I am a bit baffled because I am a member
Thanks for the info

Maybe you need to check again or enquire why on these pages clicking on your name reveals you to be a non-member! Are you a Register member maybe in which case technically they are different groups despite many of us belonging to both!
M

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
I have not joined the Register. Is that a separate thing with a different fee to pay?
Thanks
Phil

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
Aha! It has just changed  :cool:

Offline Chriswilderspin

• LRSOC Club Secretary
I see that, as I was typing, this particular issue has been resolved but the info below may be of use to others.

In the context of this forum and website there are two Series One clubs, The Land Rover Series One Club (LRSOC) and The Land Rover Register 1948-1953.

The former caters for the whole range of Series Ones from 1948-1958 and the latter concentrates on the 80” wheelbase vehicles built between 1948-1953.

This forum and website is owned and maintained by LRSOC but supports members of the Register as well.

You can register for the forum without being a member of either club but some of the material on the the forum and website is restricted to CLUB members.

It is well worth joining either one (or both of) the clubs for many reasons.

If you go to the main LRSOC website (click “Home” from the forum) there are links or information on how to become a member of the club(s).
1 Thank you.

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
a quick vehicle search turns up a link to one of of Austychamps articles for the land rover register, which seems to indicate that 26104491 had War Office registration 16BH45 as part of contract 6/Veh/7111

Not sure as a non member you'll be able to see these archives, all the more reason to join the LRSOC :) Especially since if you are in Herefordshire I'll be your area rep!

Whereabouts in the archive do I search. I cannot seem to find it?
Also, how can I get my profile picture straight?
Thanks
Phil

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
...... how can I get my profile picture straight?
Thanks
Phil

I suspect you have uploaded a crooked photo.  I don't believe there is a way to rotate in on this Forum.

I suggest you edit your "Forum profile" where you can upload a different avatar.   

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Whereabouts in the archive do I search. I cannot seem to find it?
Also, how can I get my profile picture straight?
Thanks
Phil
Go to search and than do a vehicle search with the chassis number. It is in Full Grille 192

Sebastian

Offline austychamp

• LRSOC Supporter
Truck 1/4 Ton 4x4 GS Rover Mk2 from War Office Contract 6/Veh/7711 dated 13 June 1951:

Chassis: 26104491
Engine: 26107671
War Office Registration: 16 BH 45
Date into Service: 5 March 1952 under Receipt Voucher LHM/R/2605 [22nd B Vehicle Depot Laleham]
Struck Off Charge: WD Storage & Disposal Depot Ruddington on 18 June 1963.
Disposal: Probably 70th Ruddington Auction on 8 October 1963.

History: You might find military markings on tailgate and front wings and maybe doors. Look also under rear lights.

Date of disposal could indicate Territorial Army use early 1960's and maybe before.

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
Truck 1/4 Ton 4x4 GS Rover Mk2 from War Office Contract 6/Veh/7711 dated 13 June 1951:

Chassis: 26104491
Engine: 26107671
War Office Registration: 16 BH 45
Date into Service: 5 March 1952 under Receipt Voucher LHM/R/2605 [22nd B Vehicle Depot Laleham]
Struck Off Charge: WD Storage & Disposal Depot Ruddington on 18 June 1963.

History: You might find military markings on tailgate and front wings and maybe doors. Look also under rear lights.

Date of disposal could indicate Territorial Army use early 1960's and maybe before.

Many thanks for this information. It was reregistered on 15 October 1963.
Cheers. Phil

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
Go to search and than do a vehicle search with the chassis number. It is in Full Grille 192

Sebastian

I'll try that.
Many thanks
Phil

Offline ferret1958uk

• Non-Member
I replied on another forum as yours is a similar age to my mums. In that reply I mentioned a brass plate either on the bulkhead or in the engine bay, but looking at the photo you posted here it may be on the front nearside dumbiron?
If that is it then it is the plate fitted by the army.  It may have overhaul details on it?

Offline austychamp

• LRSOC Supporter
Trucks 1/4 Ton 4x4 GS Rover Mk2 had a Ministry Of Supply [MOS] data plate fitted to top of front dumb iron n/s when new. See attachment.

The repair/rebuild data plate was generally a square type mounted mainly inside engine bay on n/s inner wing. See attachment showing this plate and the Truck 1/4 Ton 4x4 GS Rover Mk1 location and type of the original MOS data plate for Mk1.

Rover Mk1: 80" with 1.6 L engine.
Rover Mk2: 80" with 2 L engine.

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
Trucks 1/4 Ton 4x4 GS Rover Mk2 had a Ministry Of Supply [MOS] data plate fitted to top of front dumb iron n/s when new. See attachment.

The repair/rebuild data plate was generally a square type mounted mainly inside engine bay on n/s inner wing. See attachment showing this plate and the Truck 1/4 Ton 4x4 GS Rover Mk1 location and type of the original MOS data plate for Mk1.

Many thanks. I am away with work until next week. I'll have a look then and see what I can find. Cheers Phil

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
I replied on another forum as yours is a similar age to my mums. In that reply I mentioned a brass plate either on the bulkhead or in the engine bay, but looking at the photo you posted here it may be on the front nearside dumbiron?
If that is it then it is the plate fitted by the army.  It may have overhaul details on it?

I'll search next week when back from work trip. Many thanks Phil

Offline msm80

• RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay

Maybe I can clarify as the second picture in austychamp’s post is of my ex RAF Mk2 80” with 2 litre engine. The Mk 1’s were 1600cc.

Far from me to query John as he is the expert and full of most helpful military info on ID’s etc. However in my short experience Mk1 & some Mk2’s tend to have the brass or aluminium (in my case) contract plates fixed to the n/s engine facing side of the bulkhead. There are some Mk2’s it seems where these are of a different type that combine repair data that are fitted to the nearside dumbiron as he has shown.

I have also seen a number or different repair plates in odd places like inside the front wheelarch on the chassis rail or even fixed inside the bulkhead inside the drivers compartment. It seems many of these are either temporary or made up plates because they do not follow the typical MoS pattern. I guess when maintained abroad the issue or supply of ‘official’ plates was difficult for various operational reasons no doubt. A case of make do and mend as they say.

In any case if you have either a contract plate or brass repair plate you will be in luck, even luckier in my case is to have both as it is very common for both to get lost or removed when body parts are swapped post service.

Malcolm

Offline austychamp

• LRSOC Supporter
When new:

The Mk1 was a small plate mounted on bulkhead n/s engine compartment.

The Mk2 was a rectangular brass plate mounted on chassis front dumb iron.

Very early Mk3 RAF had similar data plates as seen on Mk2. Some of these RAF Mk3 have "Mk2" on the data plate.

The Mk3, Mk4 & Mk5 had aluminium data plates mounted on bulkhead passenger side.

The square brass rebuild plates were normally mounted inside engine compartments.

However, variations on location and types of rebuild plate do exist.

I hope this clarifies the situation.
3 Thanks.

Offline fv1620

• Non-Member

Indeed, sold on first day of sale Lot No.350  £60

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
Indeed, sold on first day of sale Lot No.350  £60

Thanks for that info, that's really great to know when and how much.
Can you copy the page or are these catalogues available to buy.
Thanks again
Phil

Offline fv1620

• Non-Member
I'm away from my archives at the moment but I will scan it when I can. The only reason I know the sale price is because a dealer wrote them in.
I have a few auctioneer's catalogues that are double paged to allow for recording the hammer price.

Offline Phil Marron

• LRSOC Member
Thanks for the help. Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal