Queen Elizabeth 2nd

Offline KAC 87

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • KAC 87 - and now she is gone, I miss her dearly!
Queen Elizabeth 2nd
- Sep 09, 2022 - 11:03
I know there was at least one post on FaceBook this morning, but for those of us who don't use it, here is a photo of our Queen probably before she became our Queen.

May she rest in peace.
4 Thanks.

Offline msm80

• RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
Re: Queen Elizabeth 2nd
Reply #1 - Sep 09, 2022 - 11:42
Nice one Nigel.
Wondered if anyone would post a tribute to probably one of the greatest devotees of the Land Rover. I was only just walking past my ex RAF 52 80" thinking it was built in the reign of King George VI, used during Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II lifetime and into the Reign of King Charles III.
I am no ardent Royalist but I even felt a lump in my throat as I saw the broadcast live on ITV last night and thought how dignified they were about it too. I've never had the honour to be near royalty but know somehow another great light has faded from all our lives. RIP,  God Save the King.
M
4 Thanks.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #2 - Sep 09, 2022 - 11:53
This thread could grow into a great repository for historic photos of The Queen and her Series Land Rovers.  My favo(u)rite photo attached.

I feel a great sense of loss today as the second Elizabethan era has come to an end.  Let's hope the new Carolinian era is even half as good.  The first and last Prime Ministers she greeted were born over 100 years apart, and her reign lasted almost 1/3 as long as the entire existence of the United States of America.

She wasn't afraid to thrash her Land Rovers around a bit https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2015/1/23/7877243/king-abdullah-queen-drive and https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ42dE6BJWI .

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC
2 Thanks.

Offline scimart

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Sep 09, 2022 - 12:40
An old workmate told me how he’d been driving his work van into a local estate/stud farm and a woman coming the other way in a Land Rover loaded with straw bales jumped out and opened the gate to let him through with a cheery wave. It only dawned on him who the driver was after he’d driven past the Land Rover and noticed several corgis in the back…

3 Thanks.

Offline KAC 87

Reply #4 - Sep 09, 2022 - 14:36
This thread could grow into a great repository for historic photos of The Queen and her Series Land Rovers.  My favo(u)rite photo attached.

I feel a great sense of loss today as the second Elizabethan era has come to an end.  Let's hope the new Carolinian era is even half as good.  The first and last Prime Ministers she greeted were born over 100 years apart, and her reign lasted almost 1/3 as long as the entire existence of the United States of America.

She wasn't afraid to thrash her Land Rovers around a bit https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2015/1/23/7877243/king-abdullah-queen-drive and https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ42dE6BJWI .

Thanks for your post Gunnar. The YouTube clip is very funny when she came across the local Police Superintendent poaching!
1 Thank you.

Offline KAC 87

Reply #5 - Sep 09, 2022 - 14:38
Here is another Series 1 photo with the Queen; you could be right Gunnar!
1 Thank you.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #6 - Sep 09, 2022 - 15:02
I think she's going to go down in history, as did her great-great grandmother Victoria, as a shorthand description of a remarkable era of human history for the whole world ... much as we talk about "Victorian" or "Edwardian", future generations will likely refer to the "(Second) Elizabethan" to describe 1953-2022.  I also think there are very few people in the world as often photographed in our beloved elderly Series 1 trucks than she.  Picture posts of our Series 1s in grotty garages or hauling firewood around can't hold a candle to those of her and Prince Philip making their goodwill visits around the world :-)

Land Rover Owners Namibia put up a post on Facebook with a wonderful collage https://www.facebook.com/LandRoverOwnersNamibia/posts/pfbid021Et31pbaJxCXjTxb1HCeq9WTzQmaLnJwfVEckmSqtcLqJy9kHsFTueyACSx9Jm81l , which I shared on the club Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/LRSOC/posts/1976060779251146 .

Offline msm80

Reply #7 - Sep 13, 2022 - 13:17
Here is another Series 1 photo with the Queen; you could be right Gunnar!

And just for Gunnar, my particular favourite a still I clipped from a British Pathe a long while ago which is of course copyrighted:
“Copyright British Pathe - for preview only”. It is of Her Majesty presenting the colours to No 1 Technical School RAF Halton in the early fifties I guess.

When I first saw it I had to rerun it many times to bag the number of 41AA54, just 14 after mine…..darned shame as I got very excited at the thought it might have been 41AA40 but it makes a good talking point at shows when I display the attached suitably clipped at the bottom!

Wonder where 41AA54 ended up if indeed it survives?

Malcolm
1 Thank you.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #8 - Sep 13, 2022 - 14:34
The event at RAF Halton appears to have been in 1952 https://youtu.be/5VnPeFTMcgw .

Also, I read that registration as 41AA64 ... but even 24 after is still a brush with greatness :-)

John Mastrangelo's Dec 2018 Full Grille "Truck 1/4 Ton GS 4x4 Rover Mk 2" article doesn't list is explicitly as part of his 6/Veh/7188 table, but 41AA64 interpolates as chassis number 26103277, and that shows up in the search.

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Sep 13, 2022 - 15:03
I've posted this elsewhere before, but it's worth repeating here.  When Arthur Goddard was back in the UK in 2010, and I was filming him for the 'Stop Gap' DVD, he told the story about making the special 'Royal Parade' 80" versions for Her Majesty and Prince Philip's tour of Australia:

AG   There was an order from the Palace for about 14 of them, cos she was doing a world tour, and these had to be stashed in these various places.  And she’d be reviewing the troops, or trooping the colour, or whatever she does on her days out.  We had the order placed on us, and Tickfords had the order placed on them for making the body.  They’d made a sort of throne — a massive thing where she sort of sat in the back of this.  It was like Rule Britannia on the penny.  [Laugh]  And we looked and said “Christ, you can’t do that, sitting up here like a Goon!”  And it also cost about 30-thousand pounds a vehicle to do it.  We said that she would look a lot better if she looked as though she was standing up when she really wasn’t

Presenter (vo)  So they made the Queen a seat, which was really a round padded bar, which swung back out of the way so she could get past it.  But the height had to be pretty precise — which was why Arthur and his colleagues found themselves early one morning at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh.

AG   We were let in quite early, and we were parked on a bit of lawn, and a few minutes later these (sort of) French windows opened, and the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh came out, in their dressing gowns, would you believe, and slippers, chewing a piece of toast!  [Laugh]  They thought it was absolutely fantastic, you see… So I thought I’m in luck here, because I’ve got the Duke of Edinburgh, so I got the old Duke on one side, and I said “Look, this is the problem, you see, with this thing, that it’s got to be set right, and we’ve got to get the Queen somehow to sit on it and try it, and we can move it a bit…”  And he said “My dear, Arthur wants to find out how far your bum is from the ground!”  [Laugh]

[The pic shows Arthur on the right, with other members of the Rover team.  I don't know whose copyright this is — probably now JLR — so apologies.  Before I used this sequence in the film I wrote to the Buckingham Palace Press Office to run the script by them, and see if I could use it.  They didn't say "Yes", but then they didn't actually say "No" either, so it went in the film!]
1 Thank you.

Offline msm80

Reply #11 - Sep 14, 2022 - 08:16
The event at RAF Halton appears to have been in 1952 https://youtu.be/5VnPeFTMcgw .

Also, I read that registration as 41AA64 ... but even 24 after is still a brush with greatness :-)

John Mastrangelo's Dec 2018 Full Grille "Truck 1/4 Ton GS 4x4 Rover Mk 2" article doesn't list is explicitly as part of his 6/Veh/7188 table, but 41AA64 interpolates as chassis number 26103277, and that shows up in the search.

Hi Gunnar

Thanks yes my Pathe still being partly obscured by their copyright does shed doubt and you are quite right, mine is somewhat ten more ahead :( . It does make one wonder about how many land rovers she had ridden in over the years! Interesting to watch that youtube copy of the original again. I'd not spotted the Sqd emblem on the offside front wing before and small details of a comparatively new vehicle are informative too.

Per ardua ad astra

Malcolm
1 Thank you.

Offline austychamp

• LRSOC Supporter
Reply #12 - Sep 14, 2022 - 09:06
Truck ¼ Ton 4x4 GS Rover Mk2-41 AA 64: Chassis 26103277

Note the RAF Halton in the County of Buckinghamshire emblem on the front wing and the late Queen Elizabeth II Royal standard on the bonnet.

RAF Halton has seen flying since 1912 and became the Halton School of Technical Training Establishment on 10 September 1917.

Date 25 July 1952 No-1 School of Technical Training RAF Halton presenting colours:

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/queen-elizabeth-11-presents-colour-to-no-1-school

Same date & Location:
Truck ¼ Ton 4x4 GS Rover Mk2=36 AA 64: Chassis 26100846

RAF Police, the “R/52” marking on the front wing is not known to me.

Both Land Rovers are from Air Ministry Contract 6/Veh/7188.
1 Thank you.

Offline Chriswilderspin

• LRSOC Club Secretary
Reply #13 - Sep 14, 2022 - 09:53
A couple from another arm of the services. On Ark Royal in May 1957.
(Ark Royal, Paul Beaver & Patrick Stephens, 1979)

(EDIT - Looking at the pics again, does that front wheel arch look odd or is it my eyes?)

Offline TomC

Reply #14 - Sep 14, 2022 - 09:57
....... It does make one wonder about how many land rovers she had ridden in over the years!.....

The BBC have repeated several images of her in Land Rovers over the last week. One in particular of her with Prince Philip on the trip to Kenya during which she became Queen, which is followed by a similar image of Prince William and Kate in the 'same' vehicle more recently. I expect many on here will have wondered how an 80"  morphed into a later Series 88"  :smiley:

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #15 - Sep 14, 2022 - 14:41
... particularly as we know that there was more than one 80"!  See Arthur Goddard, above.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #16 - Sep 14, 2022 - 16:01
I suppose the ultimate "rivet-counter" question would be if there's an actual obscure part number for the royal standard holder bracket on the front spare wheel mount :-) .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal