Instant Gaskets

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
  • Area Rep: Cambs, Herts, Beds
Instant Gaskets
- Aug 24, 2022 - 10:45
Mrs PDES has worked out how to use her crafting tools to cut gaskets.  No waiting, no postage, no VAT!!!  Here's her cutter in action!  Result!!!!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtEJsvfhggPSgZRYoOu0sWszEMAyXA?e=QEILwv
2 Thanks.

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Re: Instant Gaskets
Reply #1 - Aug 24, 2022 - 12:07
That looks like a whole new business venture. 

Offline simondewing

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Aug 24, 2022 - 14:49
Never thought of doing that with my wife's cutter, have to get some gasket materials.

A library of gasket designs to load to the cutter might be a useful add to the forum (and info on materials and suppliers).
That way people would not have to measure up and make their own pattern each time they needed to cut another gasket.

Rgds

Simon

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Aug 24, 2022 - 14:55
Great idea Simon.  Perhaps Willerby could comment on how we could do this.  Thickness and material should be included in file names. Mine are all jpg templates so dead easy  to store
Never thought of doing that with my wife's cutter, have to get some gasket materials.

A library of gasket designs to load to the cutter might be a useful add to the forum (and info on materials and suppliers).
That way people would not have to measure up and make their own pattern each time they needed to cut another gasket.

Rgds

Simon

Sent using LRSOC mobile app

Offline Old Hywel

• Non-Member
Reply #4 - Aug 24, 2022 - 19:53
In case anyone else is as mystified as I am, what is such magic machine, and what is itís normal use?

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Aug 24, 2022 - 22:15
In case anyone else is as mystified as I am, what is such magic machine, and what is itís normal use?
This is a machine used by crafter's who cut card and other sheet materials to make greeting cards etc.  It works in conjunction with PC or tablet apps.  In short, scanning a gasket into a jpg file allows one to extract the image into a cutable template.  Here's the machine but I expect there are others: https://cricut.com/en-gb/shop?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Paid_search&utm_campaign=Brand&utm_content=keywords&gclid=CjwKCAjwmJeYBhAwEiwAXlg0AWr-u0i8WbsSOmeHx81oeIXPSuqUezzcIuzig_I644yiMCeRDCeAnxoCaA0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I will now be scanning all my gaskets and saving the JPGs for reference with their part numbers, thickness, material for instant cutting when needed.  I would strongly advise looking at YouTube videos but if you are lucky like me, you will have a Crafter in you midst who can sort it for you.

Sent using LRSOC mobile app

Offline DEG61 Paid Advertiser - Trade

• LRSOC Member
  • Essex escapee
Reply #6 - Aug 25, 2022 - 08:08
Check out the Brother Scan N Cut too.

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline whitehillbilly

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Aug 25, 2022 - 09:50
Mrs whitehillbilly has been doing this for me for a couple of years.
She has A Flash Brother Scan and Cut. She is very clever with it.
I have many of the gaskets for Series Land Rovers. I hand her a new one. She Scans, add good quality Gasket paper, I have of different Thicknesses, and 2 minutes later all done. It. It will Cut up to 3mm Thickness, and is big enough do Diff Housing, engine sump Gaskets no problems.
She puts All scans into a Land Rover Gaskets Folder on her lap Top with Common name and Parts Number.
If she changes the Needle and Adjusts Height, it will Etch Alloy, Brass, And Glass.
And she love Series Land Rovers.

whitehillbilly
1 Thank you.

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member
Reply #8 - Aug 25, 2022 - 11:39
Something very similar is on sale in Hobbycraft  (Craft supermarkets in big shopping centres) stores for craft work. So must be freely available. Going to look next time I am there.

Nick.

Offline simondewing

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Aug 25, 2022 - 14:58
Yes,

Many different ones about to cut stencils, vinyl, iron on etc. to make your own designs of on anything.
Cricut and Brother machines seem the most popular.
Search on vinyl cutter and see what pops up.

My wife has a Cricut she and my daughter use it for T 'shirts bags etc for the grandkids to take to nursery so things don't get lost (or at least return when they do) .
Way more obvious than the old cash name tapes.

Been looking at it thinking I could recreate the county strioes for my 110.

Rgds

Simon

Offline KAR-Tanganyika

• LRSOC Member
  • Bought my 1950 S1 a year ago from a farmer who own
Reply #10 - Aug 25, 2022 - 19:25
Congratulations guys, an absolutely brilliant solution for those of us living in remote locations and relying on snail mail for deliveries of stuff from the other side of the world. Have to get the 3D printer tooled up to print Series 1s

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal