1949 Tickford

Offline MichaelCox

• Non-Member
1949 Tickford
- Jun 21, 2022 - 09:28
Hello,
I have recently inherited a series one 1949 tickford station waggon.
Unfortunately it is not something that I would be able to improve so I have made the decision for it to be sold.
It has been owned since 1986 and over the years has been stripped so will need a restoration. Any help/advise would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

Offline Willerby

• Administrator
Re: 1949 Tickford
Reply #1 - Jun 21, 2022 - 09:48
Okay, please do not post any more about this vehicle or reply to messages offering a quick sale. This is an EXTREMELY desirable vehicle and you are best placed to auction it regardless of condition / being in parts etc something we do not allow on this site.

In fifteen years of running this forum you can count on one hand the number of Tickfords that have changed hands. Please do not take an Ďofferí on it - you will not receive its true value which right now, I would suggest, nobody knows.

Peter

6 Thanks.

Offline vardjewell Home Trader

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Jun 21, 2022 - 14:28
I would suggest that you secure the vehicle, parts and components in a dry locked garage if not already stored in this fashion. Itís amazing how word gets about. Itís even worth considering insurance, perhaps talk to Hagerty (Iíve no connection) I insured my 80Ē as  a pile of rust. As suggested contact one of the well known classic car auctioneer houses. They will give sound advice and value the vehicle as is!
    Lastly, your a very lucky man.
          Vardon
1 Thank you.

Offline shropshire lad

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Jun 22, 2022 - 07:53
Brightwellís in Leominster might be a good place to start , as they are local to you and have a classic car section . Plus I might get to see it before it is sold !  However, you might get a better price if you go to one of the big boys , like Bonhams.

Good luck with the sale , there will be a lot of jealous people here wishing they had your luck .

Offline Andy80 Moderator

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #4 - Jun 22, 2022 - 08:57
Hi Michael,
I would go to effort / outlay to to reassemble the Tickford as this gives a better overall view of completeness.

When I restored my Tickford 10 + years ago, my  concern was the Tickford parts being there and not the 80" parts...

Andy

Offline lew

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Jun 22, 2022 - 14:13
Hello
As somebody who uses Brightwells quite a bit, they value their vehicles off the results on Glenmarch.com, as do most auction houses.
Have a look , you will be better informed.
A dark art it ainít, a numbers game it is.
Hope this helps

Offline Rangie

• Oct '48 - R860487
Reply #6 - Jun 22, 2022 - 15:45
You could ask Julian Shoolheifer to appraise the Tickford?
That would give a ballpark figure.

Alec.

Offline neil furness Trader (Legend Advertiser)

Reply #7 - Jun 22, 2022 - 16:15
Is it a genuine tickford or hardtop with side windows

Offline gcc130

• LRSOC Member
  • Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Bristol Area Rep.
Reply #8 - Jun 22, 2022 - 17:42
Did Tickfords do hardtops ???

Offline Landie Les Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Jun 23, 2022 - 09:36
Hello
As somebody who uses Brightwells quite a bit, they value their vehicles off the results on Glenmarch.com, as do most auction houses.
Have a look , you will be better informed.
A dark art it ainít, a numbers game it is.
Hope this helps

Glenmarch is an interesting site that I wasn't aware of. Looking through back to 2016 out of all the Series Ones I only spotted 3 tickfords all complete ranging from 38 to 48 k the price increasing over time. These prices are around double of all the other series models show sold, which gives an indication of value and rarity.
1 Thank you.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #10 - Jun 23, 2022 - 10:26
When I visited LandyPoint in Beuron https://landy-point.de/Land_Rover_Museum.html a few years ago, I was given a peek at Ken Wheelwright restoration KYM725.

I recall reading up on Tickfords (and Mulliners) at that time on the club forum, and learning that Germany club rep Dieter Sikorski "LandyCB" restored GHR236, John Smith "JOH" restored EPN262, and John Lennox "JCMEL" restored KSM312.

Perhaps one could pop them a message and obtain their views on what theirs were worth pre-restoration, and what they think they're worth today.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal