My Vehicle history. Help Needed

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Re: My Vehicle history. Help Needed
Reply #25 - Jun 20, 2022 - 07:15
I thought the Military vehicle/ demob theory had been disproven.  Military vehicles would have gone straight through from Rover to the miltary.  They would not have gone through a dealer in Bedford.

When a vehicle is given a replacement registration after cherished transfer, the original registration date IS REPLACED, on the V5C by the date the replacement registration was issued.

I own ex RGC 911 . It is known to have been supplied to MoS, so the RGC reg would have been issued in 1955.

RGC 911 was transferred off the vehicle and replacement reg XSK 452 allocated. The date of first registration on the V5C is 01 06 1979.

The new registration mark, a  previously unissued Scottish registration, is marked as "non Transferrable"

This seems a direct parallel to the OP's vehicle history.   No Military service,  It once had a different registration mark allocated in 1956 having been sold in Bedford by a motor dealer,  this registration was transferred off the vehicle in 1980 and a new non transferable previously inissued scottish reg was allocated as non transferrable and now the date this new reg was issued is shown as the first registration  date.

Rechecking paperwork I realise this is not actually the case.

I have a June 79 registration date because the owner bought the vehicle without a V5 being given to her.  She applied for a registration document using a form V62.  The vehicle was inspected 31 08 79 and a V5 was issued.

The vehicle was sold 28 08 90.

The new owner sold the RGC registration 23 04 1991.

It gained a replacement reg number HLH 363T. This reg was transferrable.

The owner moved and was issued with a new V5C with a changed address.

The vehicle sold next in 05 03 1993

HLH 363T was transferred off the vehicle some time before the next sale,  being issued with a non transferrable registration XSK 452.  The copy of the second registratiion transfer is almost illegible and no date can be determined

The vehicle was sold with XSK reg 19-06-1993.

So correction is that date of first registration is not the date of either recorded transfer of registration marks,  it is simply the date that a new V5 was issued because the owner had acquired a vehicle without being given a V5.

Offline Trakgrip

• LRSOC Member
Reply #26 - Jun 20, 2022 - 08:18
When a vehicle is given a replacement registration after cherished transfer, the original registration date IS REPLACED, on the V5C by the date the replacement registration was issued.

Interesting, thank you. I have never actually owned a vehicle which has had its registration plundered, only vehicles which have had their registrations lost through inaction, and clearly there is a difference which I hadn't considered.

This seems a direct parallel to the OP's vehicle history.   No Military service,  It once had a different registration mark allocated in 1956 having been sold in Bedford by a motor dealer,  this registration was transferred off the vehicle in 1980 and a new non transferable previously unissued scottish reg was allocated as non transferrable and now the date this new reg was issued is shown as the first registration  date.

In the light of the above I agree that this is the plausible scenario. The DOFR is in this scenario the date which that registration was first issued rather than a statement about whether or not the vehicle itself was previously registered.

Offline NHP

• Non-Member
Reply #27 - Jun 20, 2022 - 10:41
Wow. Certainly a lot of knowledge here. Thank you all so much.
Real shame it hasnít military history but interesting reading your workings out. I guess that means if it had a Scottish plate added in 1989 then it was registered there at the time. ?
The plate is psl. Is there any more info that can be told by it.
Thanks again for all the help

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #28 - Jun 20, 2022 - 10:49
Real shame it hasnít military history but interesting reading your workings out. I guess that means if it had a Scottish plate added in 1989 then it was registered there at the time. ?

Not necessarily ever physically anywhere in Scotland. there were a Large number of early  three letter three number registrations never issued by some smaller Scottish local authorities. So when the DVLA started issuing "age related" plates they went to those incomplete sequences and issued those Scottish configurations previously  never actually allocated.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Reply #29 - Jun 20, 2022 - 10:50
Real shame it hasn’t military history but interesting reading your workings out. I guess that means if it had a Scottish plate added in 1989 then it was registered there at the time. ?

The PSL plate would have been issued either by Swansea, or at a local DVLA office.  It is unlikley that the vehicle was actually in the Klackmannashire .

DVLA were using up unissued registrations upon cherished transfer.   Wherever a vehicle was at the time of transfer, a Scottish plate was issued, since most English counties had already used up all available UK county plates. It was not possible to give a plate where the area letter code matched the area in which the cherished transfer took place.

Clackmannashire issued reg numbers only got as far as the GSL series by the time Suffix Letters were added to the registrations.

PSL (infact everything after GSL) registrations were therefore available to be issued as age related plates.

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/registrations/sl.htm

The cherished transfer could have happened in 1989,  as outlined earlier, and that could explain the first registration date.

But it is also possible the vehicle was off the road untaxed when the computerised registration system was implemented by the DVLA in 1974.   The old paper log book never got put on the computerised sytem because the vehicle was untaxed/ unused.  The vehicles original registration has never been known by DVLA.

The vehicle could have laid abandoned until 1989, when it was put back on the road, and the owner did not by then have the paper log book, so a new first registration was made in 1982 using form V62.   If the vehicle had no log book and documentation could not be provide to show what the paper log book registration was, then an age related (but Scottish) plate was issued.

Either scenario is possible,  I am not sure you will ever know for certain.

Offline NHP

• Non-Member
Reply #30 - Jun 20, 2022 - 11:04
Thanks. Still gives the vehicle a bit of a story which is nice. I just need to give it the rest of its story now. Lots of work ahead I think

Offline mjallum

• Non-Member
  • 1951 80"
Reply #31 - Jun 20, 2022 - 11:36
If supplied to Mukett Brothers Ltd who are still trading at 137 Histon Road Cambridge CB22 5DG  They might just have some history of the landy

Offline DEG61 Paid Advertiser - Trade

• LRSOC Member
  • Essex escapee
Reply #32 - Jun 20, 2022 - 19:14
If supplied to Mukett Brothers Ltd who are still trading at 137 Histon Road Cambridge CB22 5DG  They might just have some history of the landy
Unfortunately not, mine was supplied new by Murkettís of Peterborough. As I was based in Cambridge at the time, I made enquiries only to find that all the old paperwork has gone.

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal