Running checks

Offline 10351

• LRSOC Member
Running checks
- Jun 01, 2022 - 19:58
Evening all,

Hoping to make the most of the longer weekend to tie off the last few bits on my Landie.

After a semi long running battle (see other posts) Iíve got her running again and short of bleeding the brakes (or should that be Ďthe bleediní brakesí) I think Iím largely there.

Which leads me to wonder if there are any obvious or not so obvious checks, watch outs or lessons learned that I could carry out as I ease her back into the road over the coming weeks?

Is there any thing that should be warm or hot after a run up, and conversely anything that shouldnít be (thinking water pump running and thermostat checks etc).

Iíll keep an eye on the fluids, and an ear out for rattles, but if anyone has any useful observations or suggestions Iím all ears!

In the mean time I think Iíll keep chipping away at the rest of the forum for useful titbits!

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Re: Running checks
Reply #1 - Jun 02, 2022 - 10:05
If you are new to driving this sort of wagon , you will surely find plenty of rattles you did not anticipate  and some areas  near the exhaust pipe will get hotter in summer than you might have expected.

Just keep an eye on the coolant level in the radiator, so the fins of the core are kept covered. There is no point in brimming/overfilling this cooling system. It will " spit out" excess water again till it finds its own level - most do this.

Keep an eye on levels in the brake fluid reservoir, after some distance check  again to see there have been no hidden leaks.

Keep an eye on engine oil level, and the colour of any  gases that are emerging from the exhaust. Black smoke usually means problems with cooling and/ or the fuel mixture settings.  Blue, means oil is being burnt.....white, means water or condensation is evaporating in there somewhere. Some vapour  may be normal on first start up on a cool day, but should clear as the engine warms.

Tyre temperature will reveal whether you have correct pressures after a longer run. 

Get used to using the engine as a brake to assist the  foot brakes on long descents and when approaching junctions. This was considered the normal way to drive in days gone by. You might need to learn again how to take time as you change gear, and when to double clutch. "Racing" changes are so very unlikely to succeed.

Have fun.

Offline TDC

• LRSOC Member
  • Cumbria Area Rep
Reply #2 - Jun 02, 2022 - 12:07
I have just done a chassis refit and after the first days out on runs  greenlanes these are some of the checks I made underneath.

After initial runs, and periodically, check all the brake and handbrake backplates for oil drips at the bottom. If bad they may drip on the inside wheel rim. This indicates that a hub oil seal has not seated correctly (or axle breather blocked) and if caught early on the oil will not have contaminated new brake shoes.

While underneath check for any serious oil leak drips from engiine (sump, covers, front oil seal, filter, oil switch etc) gearbox and transfer box, diffs, swivels. Weeping oil films are normal  on a Land Rover underside! Check radiator and engine block water taps and hoses.

After a good off road settling shakedown go round all the U bolt nuts under the spring plates as they will need tightening up. Check spring bolts/nuts.

Adjust brake adjusters when the brake shoes have bedded in. Check wheel bearing adjustment by jacking up and rocking road wheel.

Offline mutley1954

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Jun 03, 2022 - 09:37
After I completed my rebuild, I went to my freindly local garage and booked an hour on their ramp, with their mechanic giving it a good once over,
 kind of an MOT test, but putting a spanner to key suspension bolts etc. A pair of expert eyes, second opinion is always usefull, and for £50 or so
can save you much trouble later.   AS suggested keep an eye underneath for any major fluid leaks, and be aware of sudden noises.
  They all rattle a bit anyway, and will drive different to a modern Eurobox, so learn the gears etc.   And enjoy it !

Offline tonyg

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Jun 03, 2022 - 12:52
Afternoon 10351,
Just completed 310 miles of running in, after a 41 year rebuild.
In addition to the excellent advice above, suggest after 5 miles place your hand on the wheel rims, in my case the drivers side rear was hot, indicating a brake shoe needed backing off,
Other faults...tighten the petrol banjo on the carb, +2 jets tighten, tighten the wheel nuts after 50 miles, tighten the head gasket bolts after 100 miles, check the brake fluid level as mine was too high...no expansion....dripping over the top....lubricate front hubs if using fwh by engaging.

Regards
Tonyg

Offline tsmith

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Jun 03, 2022 - 15:30
...and, check the U-joint fasteners.

Offline 10351

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - Jun 05, 2022 - 19:37
All excellent suggestions chaps thank you! The suggestion about getting a mechanic to give her the once over is a great shout.

Had a bit more bother than expected bleeding the brakes but I think Iím getting there (lots of useful posts on here about brakes!). Few more sessions and that should see us right!

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal