Cleaning to avoid corrosion

Offline Rudgey

• LRSOC Member
Cleaning to avoid corrosion
- May 16, 2022 - 18:45
I have recently bought a series 1 and only just taken it off road through some muddy bits. What’s the best way to clean it underneath rather than leave it to corrode in a garage?

Offline landie57

• LRSOC Member
Re: Cleaning to avoid corrosion
Reply #1 - May 20, 2022 - 08:01
Only just spotted your post. A good wash down underneath paying particular attention to mud traps. You don't say if you have an 80, 86 or 88. I have an 88 and the areas that need attention are.
Above footwells under front wings.
Chassis outrigger where brake operating shaft passes through to master cylinder
Between fuel tank and chassis outriggers.
Rear tub, the area above the chassis outriggers by fuel tank and tool box. Also area at side where the gusset plate that the floor sill attaches to is spot welded to rear tub.
Rear tub above rear chassis outriggers.
I hope the above makes sense.

Offline Rudgey

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - May 22, 2022 - 20:39
thanks so much, I think I have sorted it this weekend with your helpful tips!

Offline vardjewell Home Trader

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - May 24, 2022 - 11:12
I would suggest using a garden hose rather than a pressure washer. If there is any preservation coating applied the high pressure washers tend to blast this coating off. Any signs of rust or corrosion once under side is dry then make good with WaxOil or typical, clear or black. The aerosol cans although more expensive are very handy for small local repairs.
    Vardon

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - May 24, 2022 - 11:49
I know this can become a dirty job, (probably defies H&S adherers , clean environment admirers, and annoys counters of gleaming rivets (!) :tic: 

But, quite often any dedicated owner of a classic vehicle  will be underneath doing things to it. One thing that will then not be far away is an "oily/greasy  rag". Keep one old rag nice and oily, and use it, moistened by a small oil can of old engine oil , to  wipe along bits that have just been cleaned.  Gradually a good oily film will develop to supplement and refresh areas coated with waxoil. This will be  a perfect coating for every crevice and corner.A Greasy film makes cleaning it all next time so much easier.
1 Thank you.

Offline diffwhine

• LRSOC Member
  • Should really have learned by now...
Reply #5 - May 25, 2022 - 16:18
Can I just wave a flag for Lanoguard https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/collections/moto? Much nicer to use than Dinitrol or Waxoyle and sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. Basically its like wiping an old ewe all over the underside of your LR. It smells like that too, but does the job beautifully. For the tree huggers its a also a great deal more environmentally friendly!

Offline krh59

• Non-Member
Reply #6 - May 25, 2022 - 18:44
These guys are worth checking out too, based near Bristol.....www.buzzweld.co.uk ....lots of choice of protective paints and coatings for all surfaces including lanolin based ones. I have used their WAR hybrid wax and it is really effective. Can be tinted too if you like that sort of thing

Sent from my moto g pro using LRSOC mobile app

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - May 25, 2022 - 20:03
Can I just wave a flag for Lanoguard https://www.lanoguard.co.uk/collections/moto? Much nicer to use than Dinitrol or Waxoyle and sticks like the proverbial to a blanket. Basically its like wiping an old ewe all over the underside of your LR. It smells like that too, but does the job beautifully. For the tree huggers its a also a great deal more environmentally friendly!
Second that !

Just Wish I had come across this natural preservative stuff years ago.
 If any sort of advert, I covered some old galvanised shackle threads to join a mooring chain onto a ground anchor(well, a large rock ) on the foreshore. After 6 months of winter, submerged in sea water each  tide I came to unfasten it. The shackle threads were still well coated, and simple to unscrew.
I now use lanoguard on all sort of outdoor things, like shed door hinges ,tractor and boat stuff ,more and more often.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal