The Gods Must Be Crazy

Offline rickyrover

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
The Gods Must Be Crazy
- Jan 19, 2022 - 21:49
The Gods Must Be Crazy. it's on again on Talking Pictures. chanel 81.

Great

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"

Offline Trakgrip

• LRSOC Member
The Gods Must Be Crazy
Reply #2 - Jan 20, 2022 - 09:00
On Tuesday 18th the "Talking PIctures" freeview channel showed the epically-bad 1963 British sci-fi film "The Earth Dies Screaming" in which the main protagonist drives a c.1951 80".  Slightly "bitza", the 80" appears to be ex-military, with the ventilator under the windscreen,  split rims, and military reflectors at the rear. It also has narrow front springs and bulkhead sidelights but a late radiator panel and grille, but early door handles. With location shots filmed in Shere, Surry, the film is so dire by today's standards it is quite entertaining!
1 Thank you.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
The Gods Must Be Crazy
Reply #3 - Jan 20, 2022 - 10:10
B-movies and Land Rovers seem to go together ;-) https://www.imcdb.org/m58050.html   Here's the whole film on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0iCFjXvwK0 .  Good close-ups of 672EFW (which shows on the DVLA site as, oddly, a "1968 1595cc", despite it clearly being a '51 80" with Trafficators) from 3:30-6:10, and 58:00 minutes on.  I was born in 1965, so tend to think of the mid-60s as pretty "modern times", but these films show what a different world it was.

The latest movie I saw in a theatre (when I happened to overnight in beautiful downtown Bicester for the Land Rover Legends weekend in 2019) was the Elton John film "Rocketman", which featured 2-liter '54 86" TFN799 (SORNed) https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1290557-Land-Rover-86---Series-I-1954.html

I have often thought about lending my trucks to TV and film production companies https://www.bookaclassic.co.uk/s/?rental_type=chauffeured&make=Land%20Rover&sort=verified&page=1 , but have heard that the prop people can be pretty cavalier.  Interested to learn if others here have had any experience doing so.

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
The Gods Must Be Crazy
Reply #4 - Jan 20, 2022 - 11:11
Love the gods must be crazy film. I managed to find it on DVD a while ago and sit down on a regular basis to watch it again.  ;D

Craig.

Offline VRO Moderator

• LRSOC Member
  • You can never have too many Land Rovers
Re: The Gods Must Be Crazy
Reply #5 - Jan 21, 2022 - 09:52
We have the DVD and this thread prompted another viewing last night. Love this film and the LR content

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Online diffwhine

• LRSOC Member
  • Should really have learned by now...
Reply #6 - Jan 21, 2022 - 16:36
There must be an echo round here... The same conversation appears to be going on in the Series 2 Club forum!
I found a 2DVD set many years ago of TGMBC 1 & 2. Two of my favourite films both because of Africa and Land Rovers.

I watched a rather sad documentary recently about the Kalahari bushmen and in particular what impact the film made on the key actors. In summary - sadly not a lot and it may have even had a negative impact on them.

Offline Trakgrip

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Jan 21, 2022 - 19:34
I've never managed to catch up with TGMBC2, does it also have significant LR or SI content?

Online diffwhine

• LRSOC Member
  • Should really have learned by now...
Reply #8 - Jan 21, 2022 - 19:38
Trying to remember, but I don't think there's any Land Rover content in the second film.
An excuse to watch it again... I'll report back.

Offline strang

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Jan 23, 2022 - 19:09
I've never managed to catch up with TGMBC2, does it also have significant LR or SI content?

No sadly.......

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #10 - Jan 23, 2022 - 21:04
On Tuesday 18th the "Talking PIctures" freeview channel showed the epically-bad 1963 British sci-fi film "The Earth Dies Screaming" in which the main protagonist drives a c.1951 80".  Slightly "bitza", the 80" appears to be ex-military, with the ventilator under the windscreen,  split rims, and military reflectors at the rear. It also has narrow front springs and bulkhead sidelights but a late radiator panel and grille, but early door handles. With location shots filmed in Shere, Surry, the film is so dire by today's standards it is quite entertaining!
This film features in the video for Tom Wait's "The earth died screaming ". Good single

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal