Starting in 2nd gear

Offline ppanos

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • 1950 Series 1 lights behind the grille.
Starting in 2nd gear
- Jan 15, 2022 - 21:11
Greetings all.  Can I get your thoughts on starting out in 2nd gear versus 1st gear; on flat surfaces not hills. 

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline scimart

• LRSOC Member
Re: Starting in 2nd gear
Reply #1 - Jan 15, 2022 - 21:18
Using first is easier on the clutch - I've always used the full box.

Offline B.S.F.

• Non-Member
Reply #2 - Jan 15, 2022 - 22:05
If you start off in second gear people assume you don't know how to double de-clutch.
.W.
1 Thank you.

Offline Geoff and Vanessa

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Jan 15, 2022 - 22:19
starting out in 2nd gear versus 1st gear; on flat surfaces not hills. 

Fill your boots  :steering: :steering:   quite safe and sensible if conditions allow  :tiphat:

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Jan 15, 2022 - 22:21
In my 1600 I almost always start in 2nd gear on the level . The gearing is so low and the torque likewise that clutch wear is not a realistic problem.

Also - I quite often change from 2nd to 4th directly on the level or downhill as third is unnecessary in those conditions. Sometimes go from first to third if that combination seems appropriate. Both of those I was taught by an elderly lorry driver in the days when lorries had very limited power and heavy gearboxes.

Nick.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Reply #5 - Jan 15, 2022 - 22:25
I would actually recommend starting in second gears on hills.  Absolutely fine...... 

Provided you were setting off down the hill that is  :tic:

Offline tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

Reply #6 - Jan 15, 2022 - 22:27
I  never double de clutch.

Offline B.S.F.

• Non-Member
Reply #7 - Jan 15, 2022 - 22:43
You're correct. Double de-clutching is only necessary when shifting down, only a pause in neutral is required when shifting up. My mistake.
.W.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #8 - Jan 15, 2022 - 23:15
If I'm starting from a dead stop on a downward incline, I actually go from first to third sometimes.

That said, I will sometimes also go to second and then engage the overdrive to use 2 1/2 in 30km zones to not lug the engine nor speed.

Offline ppanos

• 1950 Series 1 lights behind the grille.
Reply #9 - Jan 16, 2022 - 02:02
As usual, I very much appreciate all of your thoughts. 

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #10 - Jan 16, 2022 - 10:29
A bit simple as an answer to this perhaps, but it is worth considering that the gearbox does not "care" which gear it is in.

On a Land Rover each gear is strong enough to make the connection. Excess stress will be taken elsewhere on bearings , on gearbox mountings ??... But obviously it can happen that the engine itself will not be able to power the selection you have made. It will soon tell you this...if it does not "like" what  you did ....it  will stall .

A well maintained engine is easily able to move an unloaded Land Rover from rest along a hard surface on the flat in 2nd high ratio .. But, as others have reminded in this thread , the clutch should not be used as a variable speed device . If used wrongly, unnecessary clutch wear will take place, and then later, perhaps when the clutch is stressed by a gear change up a hill,  it may be too hot or too worn, and may slip.

A clutch should be "in" or "out"  never held part way - getting hotter and hotter - for long at all.

So if the engine would stall once the clutch is released quickly, arguably, this fact alone shows you were in the wrong gear ?
1 Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal