Manuals and Video

Offline imgreg

• LRSOC Member
Manuals and Video
- Jan 14, 2022 - 18:38
Good Evening all.
What would you say is the very best manual to rebuild an engine with.
I find that the Land Rover 1948 to 1958 Series 1 workshop manual does not have very detailed engine rebuild information.
Would like to rebuild my 1957 Spreadbore engine myself.
Aslo looked on YouTube and only find Kevan Spencer.
I have the above workshop manual (electronic) The Parts catologue and Instruction manual.
So this is more engine specific. Example: the workshop manual i have shows no detail on how to put the new camshaft in PROPERLY etc.
Any help please.

Offline scimart

• LRSOC Member
Re: Manuals and Video
Reply #1 - Jan 14, 2022 - 20:40
I doubt that anything more specific exists.  These engines are from an era where car "technicians" didn't exist - mechanics were motor engineers who would strip and rebuild engines regularly (machining tolerances, less sophisticated materials and primitive lubricants allowing more wear related mechanical work plus regular de-coking contributing to frequent engine work) using techniques that hadn't changed much since the early days of the mass produced motor car.  Information specific to the engine is in the manual - experience and judgement supplied the rest!

Perhaps the best thing would be to ask for guidance here on particular areas which concern you?  The recognised engine authority is Cox & Turner but I don't know how far they would be able to assist - perhaps more likely if you were buying parts from them?

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Jan 14, 2022 - 22:27
The Rover Co Ltd,  LR Workshop manuals were regularly reissued with revisions added right through series production as the model range widened . Each edition is identifiable on the first page. Print dates are to be found.
The latest Series One manual I have  Part No 4291 was first printed  in March 1960 and my copy is one revised again for reissue  in October 1963.

This final 4291 is possibly the most comprehensive of all. But to save space - I suppose - there were some technical operations which appeared in earlier manuals that were omitted, or the operations were simplified with  shortened versions put in.

If you have this version, then in my opinion  you may already have the most useful one.

Some military manuals issued for REME base unit training etc may be more comprehensive , but copies are very hard to find now.

Manual 4057  also known as TP165B which covers all 86/88/107/109"  was first issued in January 1954, then revised in September 1957. It covers many engine operations quite well too, and technical detail does enhances other earlier manuals. This last 1957 edition includes a section at the end on the 2ltr  Rover high speed diesel. But other operatons have disappeared or are given are in less detail. I find 4057  less valuable than 4291.

Which number manual do you have at present?

Offline Nick71

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Jan 14, 2022 - 22:43
So this is more engine specific. Example: the workshop manual i have shows no detail on how to put the new camshaft in PROPERLY etc.
Any help please.

I have just received a 4291 manual and it gives enough information about Cam fitting for me.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Reply #4 - Jan 14, 2022 - 23:49
.....Which number manual do you have at present?
The 1997cc Spreadbore engine is also covered in the Series II and IIA manual TP/344/A part number 4611.

Offline imgreg

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Jan 16, 2022 - 12:07
Hi Thanks
I have the 4291 The 2nd Edition.
Should also have a Series 2 manual, IF it has been given back to me  :smiley:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal