Whats the worst job during a restoration?I

Offline A Price

• LRSOC Member
I will start the ball rolling
Refitting the Brake Master cylinder and connecting the pipes to it with the body in situ. What a nightmare, took me ages. No doubt somebody will come on here and say that they did it in a jiffy!
Anybody done anything worse

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Re: Whats the worst job during a restoration?I
Reply #1 - Jan 06, 2022 - 15:29
Paying for it. :tic:

Offline Chriswilderspin

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • LRSOC Club Secretary
Reply #2 - Jan 06, 2022 - 16:13
Stripping all the body panels with Nitromors! (yes - I know there are mechanical methods - wish I had realised that at the time!!) :banghead:

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Jan 06, 2022 - 16:40
Paying for it. :tic:
Being payed to do someone elses  :censored:

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Jan 06, 2022 - 16:46
Trying to fit in some home workshop fettling time around a routine 70+ hour working week, 100's of Km away from base.... :steering:

Offline 4croes

Reply #5 - Jan 06, 2022 - 16:47
Realising youíve thrown away an old rusty redundant part, then finding out it is very rare, stupidly expensive or not available.

The best advice I can give is this: Only throw away an S1 part if it has turned into powdered iron oxide - keep everything else!

Offline TAC

Reply #6 - Jan 06, 2022 - 17:21
Bleeding the brakes

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Jan 06, 2022 - 17:34
Realising youíve thrown away an old rusty redundant part, then finding out it is very rare, stupidly expensive or not available.

The best advice I can give is this: Only throw away an S1 part if it has turned into powdered iron oxide - keep everything else!
I evntually found every single part I took off, but some of them where a long way seperated from other parts.  Pure luck the Bulkhead stay bar was found in a bread tray in a totally unrelated shed.

What was more annoying was thinking you did not have parts, sourcing replacements for them, then having those original and fully reuseable parts turning up in an ammo box on racking in a container.....
2 Thanks.

Offline strang

• LRSOC Member
Reply #8 - Jan 06, 2022 - 17:55
Trying to remember how it goes back together - and also fitting the speedo cable to the back of the gearbox after fitting an overdrive.

Offline shropshire lad

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Jan 06, 2022 - 18:01

Can I interest you in some highly sought after and rare Series One parts that are unidentifiable rusty lumps , that I have been keeping just in case ?
1 Thank you.

Offline midlandoak

• LRSOC Member
Reply #10 - Jan 06, 2022 - 18:03
Not fitting the the drivers side turn buckle to the seat base before fitting the seat base over the fuel tank !!

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #11 - Jan 06, 2022 - 18:09
Trying to remember how it goes back together - and also fitting the speedo cable to the back of the gearbox after fitting an overdrive.
Use 2BA Allen caphead screws which can be placed on the long leg of an Allen key, and this job becomes an easy straightforward job.

Certainly no where near the top of a difficult job list.

Offline simondewing

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Jan 06, 2022 - 20:41
If you are in the States and not afflicted with salt:-
Digging out all the rust and compacted clay from around the steering relay (with a mini hacksaw blade) so you can remove the relay without damage to the chassis!

If you are in UK and your chassis is a crumbling pile of rust :-
Trying to figure out how much of the chassis to cut back to find a solid base for your welds!

and I could add spraying 2 pack paint in either location!

It all depends on the history of your project and how much you want to save vs replace.

Rgds

Simon

Offline Lancelot49

• LRSOC Member
Reply #13 - Jan 06, 2022 - 21:06
There are a few things, but fitting the master cylinder and brake pipes after the gearbox is in seems to haunt me. But what is giving me nightmares at the moment is aluminium welding. I am finding it so difficult I am thinking of making new panels.

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Reply #14 - Jan 06, 2022 - 22:09
Definitely removing the steering relay!!!!!

Offline daleradford Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • bodgers beware
Reply #15 - Jan 06, 2022 - 22:18
Removing and refitting a starter motor on a 1600 engine 80" land rover, with the body work in place.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #16 - Jan 06, 2022 - 22:21
There are a few things, but fitting the master cylinder and brake pipes after the gearbox is in seems to haunt me. But what is giving me nightmares at the moment is aluminium welding. I am finding it so difficult I am thinking of making new panels.

What method are you using to weld Aluminium?  TIG is probably the best but you need an AC set for this.

You can get very good results using MIG, but even with a short 3 metre Eurotorch with a Teflon liner you can experience birdsnesting after the feed rollers often enough for it to be just an annoyance.

I found investing in a spool on gun torch MIG welder and pure argon shielding has vastly improved the process of MIG Aluminium welding.

Although I have an advanced TIG set-up, Most of the repairs I did on my 86" were done "spool on gun" MIG.  And it is far cheaper to buy the equipment than investing in TIG.

Offline philpjread

Reply #17 - Jan 07, 2022 - 08:43
On an early 80" bleeding the brakes.

Offline Jules

• LRSOC Member
Reply #18 - Jan 07, 2022 - 08:57
Trying to get the exhaust valve collets on with the engine in situ!
Even with blobs of grease to hold them in place at was still a buttock clenching moment to see if they would ping off as the valve compressor was gently released........ (to disappear into the bowels of the engine for ever more)

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #19 - Jan 07, 2022 - 09:46
Trying to get the exhaust valve collets on with the engine in situ!
Even with blobs of grease to hold them in place at was still a buttock clenching moment to see if they would ping off as the valve compressor was gently released........ (to disappear into the bowels of the engine for ever more)
I pack the area below the rocker shaft with blue paper roll to block off any possible route for the collets down into the bowels of the block.

If they slip out they simply fall onto the paper where they are easily retrieved for a second attempt at fitting.

Planning ahead for the worst save a lot of buttock clrnching.....

Offline Trakgrip

• LRSOC Member
Reply #20 - Jan 07, 2022 - 09:48
Definitely removing the steering relay!!!!!

I would second this. Most of the other jobs mentioned have work-arounds or alternatives approaches/tools/methods which can ease their execution, but I really don't know of any easy approach to getting a rusted-in steering relay out without causing significant collateral damage.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #21 - Jan 07, 2022 - 09:56
I would second this. Most of the other jobs mentioned have work-arounds or alternatives approaches/tools/methods which can ease their execution, but I really don't know of any easy approach to getting a rusted-in steering relay out without causing significant collateral damage.

Often collateral damage is the easiest solution.   Most likely the tube through the cross member will be rusted through to holes and will need cutting out and replacing anyway. You can simply cut out around the relay and remove it with a section of the top and bottom pates that from the cross member and what ever is left of the tube itself, then rebuild the area with brand new steel.

Threads in the four tapped holes below often end up with the 1/4" screws breaking off in them.  maybe simply replacing with new is simpler than trying to get out screws that have been rusting in for the last 70 years?

Offline msm80

• RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
Reply #22 - Jan 07, 2022 - 11:13
It certainly is a real pain to get them out, indeed most times it probably isnít worth the bother and although a fiddle it should be possible to rebuild the darned thing in situ!
I was compelled to do this remove my very early superseded relay on the 48 I have just started.

Not wishing to go down the road of extreme force as others have done, I did find a methodical and excised route worked such even after cutting access holes in the drivers chassis rail, it was very easy to split open up the housing tube by careful chain drilling at the bottom and down inside the front cross member tube via an access hole in chassis rail, then reweld in one of Dale Radfords replacement tubes instead.
Yes long winded but it meanít the chassis was undamaged and quite repairable. Just a long process I admit!

Malcolm

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #23 - Jan 07, 2022 - 11:30
Because the spring hangers are further apart, outside the chassis long rails, a 107SW rear axle case has reinforcing channel sections welded to its base.  This extra strengthening was carried on through later series (up till the S3  Salisbury axle)as the Rover heavy duty rear axle case.

Due to its position the thing gradually fills with sand and grit, through visible drain holes over years. It rusts from inside out. Getting an engineering works with heavy folding kit to even consider helping reform one - and weld in in place without distorting the axle alignment-  was hard. Luckily after 12 months of despair we realised we did know a man who could..in his spare time.  ( Thank you Kees.)

Offline Rangie

• Oct '48 - R860487
Reply #24 - Jan 07, 2022 - 15:43
Adjusting side-exhaust tappets with the wing in place  :censored:

Alec.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal