Original Land Rover by James Taylor

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
  • Area Rep: Cambs, Herts, Beds
Original Land Rover by James Taylor
- Jan 06, 2022 - 00:32
The photos in my copy of this book all appear to be too dark to the point of not being able to discern some of the finer detail. Is this common to all copies ? If not, I'll get a replacement.  Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975F using LRSOC mobile app

Offline Barney

• LRSOC Member
Re: Original Land Rover by James Taylor
Reply #1 - Jan 06, 2022 - 11:24
Hi,
just had a look at my copy, I had not previously noticed it, but some photos are quite dark, to the point of losing some detail.

As it is quite subjective,  I have noted the following examples for you to compare:

Inside title page with photo of station wagon and 80 inch.  -  The detail of the station wagon grille and headlights is barely visible in the shadow.
Page 49 photo of inside cab of 80 inch. - The floor and footwells are invisible, only the highlights of the pedals, gearsticks  and the heater door knobs stand out.
Page 84 photo of LHD cab interior. - The pedals are barely visible below the steering wheel.

Hope this helps, Cheers

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #2 - Jan 06, 2022 - 12:07
That is true of the original edition and probably of the reprint too. I had never particularly noticed it before, and at the time we were extremely grateful for anything that helped us to understand the models better. Along with the parts book this reference work was an enormous help to many.

Offline Rangie

• Oct '48 - R860487
Reply #3 - Jan 06, 2022 - 12:14
It seems to be par for the course, there are a number of "full" images in the book which appear quite dark.

There are also a few niggles and suppositions in the text. It could possibly have benefited from additional proof readings/scrutiny by experts in the field.
But its an enjoyable read with lots of useful detail information all the same  :D

Alec.

Offline TomC

Reply #4 - Jan 06, 2022 - 14:02

There are also a few niggles and suppositions in the text. It could possibly have benefited from additional proof readings/scrutiny by experts in the field.
But its an enjoyable read with lots of useful detail information all the same  :D

Unfortunately this could be said of the recent 80" book. I am really hoping that someone will have pointed this out to James Taylor. I and lots of others are looking forward to the 86,88, 107 and 109 edition soon to be published and which will become the 'must have' for restorers.

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
  • Area Rep: Cambs, Herts, Beds
Reply #5 - Jan 06, 2022 - 15:15
Hi,
just had a look at my copy, I had not previously noticed it, but some photos are quite dark, to the point of losing some detail.

As it is quite subjective,  I have noted the following examples for you to compare:

Inside title page with photo of station wagon and 80 inch.  -  The detail of the station wagon grille and headlights is barely visible in the shadow.
Page 49 photo of inside cab of 80 inch. - The floor and footwells are invisible, only the highlights of the pedals, gearsticks  and the heater door knobs stand out.
Page 84 photo of LHD cab interior. - The pedals are barely visible below the steering wheel.

Hope this helps, Cheers

Thanks for this. This is just like mine. Such a shame that a work that is advertised as a reference is devoid of some of the detail needed by restorers.

Offline msm80

• RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
Reply #6 - Jan 06, 2022 - 15:37
That is true of the original edition and probably of the reprint too. I had never particularly noticed it before, and at the time we were extremely grateful for anything that helped us to understand the models better. Along with the parts book this reference work was an enormous help to many.
I agree with Tom. Having just realised this thread is talking about the first 80 volume by James Taylor and Rowan Issac, I sat down and compared an original 1996 1st edition I have with a later 2011 reprint my daughter bought me a while back as present! There is no doubt in my mind the reprint has the lighter images so folks might wish to go out and buy another copy. Mind you the original price was 19.95, whereas the later one is priced at 27.50! I still believe this volume to be good value. In fact having now read the latest Factory Original volume by the same author I too am a little disappointed by that book as there are some niggling faults in the images and accuracy of production I suspect. A few more close ups of what Id term original untouched examples would lend more perhaps to the fascination with these early versions of the 80.
Hey ho each to their own.
Malcolm
1 Thank you.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #7 - Jan 06, 2022 - 16:44
I just splashed out 40 for the new edition just released a couple of days ago https://www.amazon.de/-/en/James-Taylor/dp/1906133905 .  32.55 on .co.uk .  Looking forward to its arrival next week :-)

Offline roversrussell

• LRSOC Member
Reply #8 - Jan 06, 2022 - 20:07
hi as queensland  joe said    dont you worry   about that my james taylor arrived  last week brillant where would be without him i have all his books also tony hutching no 488  all top shelf  i will also be ordering the rest of the collection  have a happy day  from humid queensland
1 Thank you.

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Reply #9 - Jan 07, 2022 - 12:03
I agree with Tom. Having just realised this thread is talking about the first 80 volume by James Taylor and Rowan Issac, I sat down and compared an original 1996 1st edition I have with a later 2011 reprint my daughter bought me a while back as present! There is no doubt in my mind the reprint has the lighter images so folks might wish to go out and buy another copy. Mind you the original price was 19.95, whereas the later one is priced at 27.50! I still believe this volume to be good value. In fact having now read the latest Factory Original volume by the same author I too am a little disappointed by that book as there are some niggling faults in the images and accuracy of production I suspect. A few more close ups of what Id term original untouched examples would lend more perhaps to the fascination with these early versions of the 80.
Hey ho each to their own.
Malcolm
I remember well the time the first edition wasnt available anymore, some second hand examples changed hands on eBay for more than 300

Sebastian

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #10 - Jan 07, 2022 - 12:46
I've been looking for a copy of the Tony Hutchings "Land-Rover: The Early Years", for which I've set up saved search on eBay.  When they occasionally show up, the sellers generally ask for c. 400 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265096425142 .

Offline 3sheets86

• LRSOC Member
Reply #11 - Jan 07, 2022 - 21:28
I've been looking for a copy of the Tony Hutchings "Land-Rover: The Early Years", for which I've set up saved search on eBay.  When they occasionally show up, the sellers generally ask for c. 400 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265096425142 .

I have this book. I bought it about 14-15 years ago when I was an apprentice and paid what was a lot of money at the time, especially when I was earning less than 200 per week!. It's nice to have but I can't see any good reason to pay 400 or anywhere near that for it unless you are an avid collector of all things Land Rover and you want to complete a collection, and of course, the price doesn't matter too much. All the information in it can be found elsewhere and new things have come to light since it was published.
1 Thank you.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #12 - Jan 11, 2022 - 17:02
The new edition of the James Taylor book arrived today, and I'm really enjoying it.  No issues with the photo contrast in this printing.

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
Reply #13 - Jan 11, 2022 - 17:39
Just had an email from DPD.
Mine is delayed due to covid.
Probably in quarantine :huh:

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #14 - Jan 14, 2022 - 08:43
I have this book. I bought it about 14-15 years ago when I was an apprentice and paid what was a lot of money at the time, especially when I was earning less than 200 per week!. It's nice to have but I can't see any good reason to pay 400 or anywhere near that for it unless you are an avid collector of all things Land Rover and you want to complete a collection, and of course, the price doesn't matter too much. All the information in it can be found elsewhere and new things have come to light since it was published.
Msm80 really came through for me and found a signed first edition of the Tony Hutchings book at a reasonable price from with the proceeds going to a good cause https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/land-rover-the-early-years/product/HD_300573692?sku=HD_300573692 .  He even went the extra mile and ordered it for me and in turn graciously offered to ship it to my home in Germany as the seller doesn't ship to the EU anymore https://onlineshop.oxfam.org.uk/faqs-delivery, for which I'm eternally grateful ... what a fine group of people this club is :-)  There's still one on offer on eBay.co.uk https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265096425142 .

This completes my coffee table library of the must-haves for Series 1 collectors.  Santa gave me the new 2022 reprint of the James Taylor book https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/1906133905/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00 , and back in 2019 I bought the John Smith book through the LRSOC club shop.  Ultimately, the instruction manual, parts catalogue, and workshop manual are the three most important books one needs to keep these elderly trucks running properly ... amazingly clearly-written.
1 Thank you.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #15 - Jan 14, 2022 - 09:54
For the sake of completeness, the John Smith book is unavailable on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Land-Rover-Formative-Years-1947-1967-Versatile/dp/0956170803 , but as I said above, it's available through the club shop https://www.lrsoc.com/web/product/land-rover-the-formative-years/ .

The instruction manual, parts catalogue, and workshop manual are all also available from the club shop https://www.lrsoc.com/web/product-category/manuals/ , as well as on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=land+rover+series+1&i=stripbooks&crid=1O4CPB135XIAJ&sprefix=land+rover+series%2Cstripbooks%2C135&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_17 .

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"
Reply #16 - Jan 26, 2022 - 10:16
The Hutchings book arrived today.  Thanks again msm80 :-)

It's a signed 1982 edition 266/1,000 ... I still think of 1982 as just yesterday, but it's 40 years ago!  A great time capsule with some great vintage adverts; clearly a labo(u)r of love on the part of the author.  I like how a Dymo labeler was used for the photo plate Roman numerals https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymo_Corporation .  HNX450 ('47 pre-production R04) is the cover star.
1 Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal