Another Newbie...

Offline bradm

• LRSOC Member
Another Newbie...
- Jan 03, 2022 - 20:32
Greetings, all.  Although I've been a member for a while now, this is my first post, as I've FINALLY started on my '56 86 project! I picked it up a couple years ago, but stored it until I could finish up a Jaguar restoration I had underway.

It was originally dispatched to an oil field services company in Tehran, Iran in May of '56, and found its way to Texas, USA around 1970 by one of the US workers helping out over there.  It still wears a Texas license tag from 1973, and spent its days on a ranch until it was sold somewhere around 2010 in non-running condition.  The buyer freshened the 2.25 replacement engine but stalled when his first child came along, and then sold it to  a friend of mine in 2015, who sat on it for 4 years then passed it on to me in 2019.  To my novice eye, it seems to be mostly complete, and mostly original, except for the engine swap and a replacement radiator. 

I'm a long time British car nut, but this is my first Land Rover and I'm really excited about it.  And I'm a big patina fan, so the current plan is to blast and recoat the chassis, rebuild drivetrain, brakes, etc., but leave the body mostly as it is.  Subject to change, I guess...

Anyway, I got a start on it before the holidays, and found a pretty solid chassis and bulkhead.

I look forward to participation in the club, and look forward to getting up to speed enough to be able, eventually, to contribute.

Cheers,
Brad

Offline Old Hywel

• Non-Member
Re: Another Newbie...
Reply #1 - Jan 03, 2022 - 21:04
“Solid chassis and bulkhead.”
The sort of things we dream about.  Welcome along.

Offline Dpaz

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Jan 03, 2022 - 21:51
That patina will look great!

Offline Ser1man

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Jan 09, 2022 - 01:14
Greetings, all.  Although I've been a member for a while now, this is my first post, as I've FINALLY started on my '56 86 project! I picked it up a couple years ago, but stored it until I could finish up a Jaguar restoration I had underway.

It was originally dispatched to an oil field services company in Tehran, Iran in May of '56, and found its way to Texas, USA around 1970 by one of the US workers helping out over there.  It still wears a Texas license tag from 1973, and spent its days on a ranch until it was sold somewhere around 2010 in non-running condition.  The buyer freshened the 2.25 replacement engine but stalled when his first child came along, and then sold it to  a friend of mine in 2015, who sat on it for 4 years then passed it on to me in 2019.  To my novice eye, it seems to be mostly complete, and mostly original, except for the engine swap and a replacement radiator. 

I'm a long time British car nut, but this is my first Land Rover and I'm really excited about it.  And I'm a big patina fan, so the current plan is to blast and recoat the chassis, rebuild drivetrain, brakes, etc., but leave the body mostly as it is.  Subject to change, I guess...

Anyway, I got a start on it before the holidays, and found a pretty solid chassis and bulkhead.

I look forward to participation in the club, and look forward to getting up to speed enough to be able, eventually, to contribute.

Cheers,
Brad

Why not keep the patina on the chassis as well? A good clean and preservation treatment looks like all it needs. I use a product called penetrol, excellent and long lasting. It seems to creep into spots even water doesn’t and seals moisture out. I also used it as basis for painting a chassis, like a primer, it’s still good after 20 years. It is in a dry climate though and no salt on the roads.

Looks like a good project, have fun,
Graeme.

Sent from my iPad using LRSOC

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal