New member from Queensland

Offline waynehall1015

• LRSOC Member
New member from Queensland
- Dec 31, 2021 - 11:05
Hi everyone, as the subject title suggests, I'm a new member from Brisbane, Queensland.

I've just brought a project car (hopefully photo attached) which I'm just starting to strip down and, like most people new to working on old land rovers, I have a stack of questions.  I'll thank everyone in advance now!

The car is a 1958 petrol 109" (No. 123800977) which has seen some modifications (e.g. tub replaced by timber tray, chassis shortened).  It has spent the last 40 years in the elements on a farm so is not in the best condition, but it does run, just not very well.

Cheers
Wayne
1 Thank you.

Offline Keith Robertshaw

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86
Re: New member from Queensland
Reply #1 - Dec 31, 2021 - 15:18
Welcome to the club, Wayne

Keith

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Dec 31, 2021 - 18:05
Welcome Wayne. It looks in pretty good condition compared to some we see on here. Are you going for a shiny or patina restoration? I'd keep the trayback as I think they look good.
There is a mass of information on the site so chances are a search will give you any answers you are looking for but if not don't be afraid to ask as someone will know the answer.
Mike

Offline roversrussell

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Dec 31, 2021 - 19:46
Hi everyone, as the subject title suggests, I'm a new member from Brisbane, Queensland.

I've just brought a project car (hopefully photo attached) which I'm just starting to strip down and, like most people new to working on old land rovers, I have a stack of questions.  I'll thank everyone in advance now!

The car is a 1958 petrol 109" (No. 123800977) which has seen some modifications (e.g. tub replaced by timber tray, chassis shortened).  It has spent the last 40 years in the elements on a farm so is not in the best condition, but it does run, just not very well.

Cheers
Wayne
happy new year to my friends  in the uk and around the world      welcom to the club  wayne  your welcome to a land rover day on the  on the small island jim

Offline B.S.F.

• Non-Member
Reply #4 - Jan 01, 2022 - 00:16
Wayne
Good to see another 109 from Aus. on this forum. I've had mine,  No. 123800948 for 21 years. There are some pictures of it on this forum.
.W.

Offline waynehall1015

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Jan 01, 2022 - 09:53
Thanks all for the welcome.

My thinking is to keep the current patina - I like the look and also know a full restoration would be beyond me.... 

I also intend to keep the timber tray although I will narrow the width to that of the car's body - the tray previously extended ~6 inches on either side of the cab. 

Cheers
Wayne

Offline jonhutchings

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #6 - Jan 01, 2022 - 11:08
Welcome, nice to see a proper working truck. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Offline VRO Moderator

• LRSOC Member
  • You can never have too many Land Rovers
Reply #7 - Jan 02, 2022 - 08:48
Lovely looking vehicle, welcome to the forum and enjoy your project

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline Defender9

• LRSOC Member
Reply #8 - Jan 02, 2022 - 10:04
Welcome Wayne, from another 1958 109 owner.

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Reply #9 - Jan 02, 2022 - 17:22
Wellcome Wayne! Nice looking 109.  Why do you think the chassis has been shortened? The wooden tray backs usually extend over the rear crossmember.

Sebastian

Offline roversrussell

• LRSOC Member
Reply #10 - Jan 02, 2022 - 20:32

Cheers
Wayne
hi wayne i  have a spare 109 tub here as new will go straight on jim

Offline Alan C

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #11 - Jan 02, 2022 - 20:55
Often normal to have the tray wider than the cab, then long narrow items can be readily carried on the left side, extending forward past the back of the cab.

Offline waynehall1015

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Jan 02, 2022 - 23:44
Hi everyone.

Jim, thanks very much however I think I'll stick with the tray - bit more useable flat space, I'd have to replace my non-standard fuel tank to refuel, and the right wing that I think is essential to support a tub has been removed to allow for the fuel tank.  But you never know, perhaps once I get it back on the road....

Sebastion, not certain why the chassis was shortened - possibly to deal with rust??  There is rather extensive rust in this area now.  Attached is a photo of the replacement cross-member.  Not certain if this will get past a road-worthy inspection?  The tray did still extend past the chassis.

Alan, thanks for the insight.

Thanks everyone.
Wayne

Offline B.S.F.

• Non-Member
Reply #13 - Jan 03, 2022 - 01:23
Unlike on SWB L/Rs , on 107/109s  the side chassis rails are made up of 3 parts.. When inspecting for rust pay particular attention to the area  around the joints,  marked on the drawing .
You should be able to see/feel the vertical welds. There are plates welded across the joints on the inside, which can attract rust. At the front joint you can put a finger through the hole in the
 bottom rail just in front of the gear box cross member and feel the plate.
.W.
Maybe start a new Repair thread ?

Offline waynehall1015

• LRSOC Member
Reply #14 - Jan 03, 2022 - 01:43
Thanks W. Good to know.

Offline roversrussell

• LRSOC Member
Reply #15 - Jan 03, 2022 - 05:41
Hi everyone.

Jim, thanks very much however I think I'll stick with the tray - bit more useable flat space, I'd have to replace my non-standard fuel tank to refuel, and the right wing that I think is essential to support a tub has been removed to allow for the fuel tank.  But you never know, perhaps once I get it back on the road....

Sebastion, not certain why the chassis was shortened - possibly to deal with rust??  There is rather extensive rust in this area now.  Attached is a photo of the replacement cross-member.  Not certain if this will get past a road-worthy inspection?  The tray did still extend past the chassis.

Alan, thanks for the insight.

Thanks everyone.
Wayne
hi yes i have nos guards and and a fuel  all for he 109 jim

Offline roversrussell

• LRSOC Member
Reply #16 - Jan 03, 2022 - 08:54
sorry fuel tank and also a109 chassi on the market just to let you jim

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal