Series 1 barn find - help

Offline davidedwardmawer

• Non-Member
Series 1 barn find - help
- Nov 22, 2021 - 11:46
Hello ladies & gentlemen,

I came across this Series 1 for sale. It's in quite a state! In your experience is anything worth salvaging ? See photos and following...

Thanks,
David.

Offline davidedwardmawer

• Non-Member
Re: Series 1 barn find - help
Reply #1 - Nov 22, 2021 - 11:47
and...

Offline davidedwardmawer

• Non-Member
Reply #2 - Nov 22, 2021 - 11:48
Finally..

Thank you for your indulgence!

David

Offline Jules

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Nov 22, 2021 - 11:52
Hello,
Anything is worth saving if it is worth it to you. The chassis looks in quite good condition so is repairable. Engines are getting rarer now but there are lots of other Land Rover engines that will fit and as there appears to be no gearbox or transfer box - you can take your pick.
It depends on if you enjoy that challenge of restoration.
Jules

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Nov 22, 2021 - 12:10
If there are previous identity and registration/ownership papers with it, that would make a lot of difference.

But too obviously....So many bits are absent, damaged  (modified by rough use  :D)  , trying  anything with this to begin to put it right would be an enormous task. A very costly challenge at todays prices anyway.

Offline davidedwardmawer

• Non-Member
Reply #5 - Nov 22, 2021 - 12:24
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. It's not the £1500 asked but what do you do with it after that? Thanks again.

Offline garyaa

• LRSOC Member
  • Anderson Classics
Reply #6 - Nov 22, 2021 - 12:29
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. It's not the £1500 asked but what do you do with it after that? Thanks again.

Hi,
Did you say 1500!!! I picked up a fully complete 1959 109 S2 last year for 500 that had been sat needing a restoration, the difference was everything was with the car….
I agree with the above replies, if you aren’t able to source an original box and engine there are other engines which will fit nice and happily… i recon its worth the save but definitely for a lower price.
Henry

Offline Geoff and Vanessa

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Nov 22, 2021 - 12:39
 £1500 is beyond ambitious !

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
Reply #8 - Nov 22, 2021 - 14:28
It has a series II / III rear cross member and the bulkhead outriggers look straight to me, not the bendy ones the 86" and 88" chassis should have.
Question is, is the chassis actually a series one chassis or a later one?
The bulkhead looks like it's had holes cut in it for the later pedal boxes as well.

Worth a few hundred pounds perhaps to save the series one bits there but no, not worth £1500.

The silver piece in middle of the photo next to the coil of pipe, looks like an upper door trim backing panel from a series III to me and the door leaning against the tub is obviously later too.

Craig.

Offline Birdsnest55

• Non-Member
Reply #9 - Nov 22, 2021 - 15:25
The rear axle has the wrong half shafts.

Paul

Offline davidedwardmawer

• Non-Member
Reply #10 - Nov 22, 2021 - 15:37
……looks like I came to the right place!   :undecided:

Pleased to be keeping you all sharp, :huh:

David.

Offline Chriswilderspin

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • LRSOC Club Secretary
Reply #11 - Nov 22, 2021 - 15:55
………and it is worth mentioning that if it doesn’t have a log book with it registering it could be problematical and it may well be just a collection of parts :(

Offline Geoff and Vanessa

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Nov 22, 2021 - 15:58
Always better to see  :undecided: :undecided: :undecided: on your posts than  :motz: :motz: :motz: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You came to the right place  :steering: :tiphat:

Offline 337BXB

• LRSOC Member
Reply #13 - Nov 23, 2021 - 11:43
Looks like someone got their moneys worth out of those front tyres !   ;D

Offline Dpaz

• LRSOC Member
Reply #14 - Nov 23, 2021 - 21:42
337, Nah! plenty left to recut, easier done when there is a bit of visible tread to follow. Yes I do know that recutting L-R tyres is illegal. It was in the '70s when a lot of us did it, different times!

Online B.S.F.

• Non-Member
Reply #15 - Nov 23, 2021 - 22:00
It depends why you would want a Land R over Just just ask yourself;  Would I be restoring a  Land Rover, or building a  replica ?
.W.

Offline jkhackney

• Non-Member
  • October 55 86", late 2A Dormobile
Reply #16 - Nov 24, 2021 - 12:54
The tiitle of the thread is "--help".

The best help I can offer is the advice not to buy it! Unless you have a field that needs decorating with random bits from Birmingham.

There's not much Land Rover there, even less Series 1.

Jeremy

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #17 - Yesterday at 11:37
The bulkhead doesn't look too bad but if it has a series one identity it's deffo a " ringer" on a later chassis. If no I. D. Will be almost Impossible to put on road  except as a Q plater
Not sure about the rules about reconstituted classics though ? May get identity of most recent part ie chassis but doesn't look like a series 2/ 3. Either way a minefield on wheels not worth much try knocking off a zero haha

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #18 - Yesterday at 12:28
The bulkhead doesn't look too bad but if it has a series one identity it's deffo a " ringer" on a later chassis. If no I. D. Will be almost Impossible to put on road  except as a Q plater
Not sure about the rules about reconstituted classics though ? May get identity of most recent part ie chassis but doesn't look like a series 2/ 3. Either way a minefield on wheels not worth much try knocking off a zero haha

Not convinced that it isn't just a much altered chassis after a hard life. The rear crossmember is a common replacement for the correct type. The front looks to have been altered for some other engine. Either way I wouldn't really think it was a good starting point for a restoration. There are better around awaiting a loving home,

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #19 - Yesterday at 12:42
Good point if there is a chassis number on that front dumb iron a lot of questions could be answered, along with perhaps evidence of pedal shaft holes otherwise the later chassis is almost identical to the 88 series one
Not convinced that it isn't just a much altered chassis after a hard life. The rear crossmember is a common replacement for the correct type. The front looks to have been altered for some other engine. Either way I wouldn't really think it was a good starting point for a restoration. There are better around awaiting a loving home,

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal