New James Taylor book on the 80

Offline VRO Moderator

• LRSOC Member
  • You can never have too many Land Rovers
New James Taylor book on the 80
- Nov 11, 2021 - 08:40
New book arrived yesterday, all new pictures and much more detail than the older Series 1 version from 1996. A great read for the 80 enthusiast. A second edition covering the other Series 1 models to follow next year I believe

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Re: New James Taylor book on the 80
Reply #1 - Nov 11, 2021 - 08:50
New book arrived yesterday, all new pictures and much more detail than the older Series 1 version from 1996. A great read for the 80 enthusiast. A second edition covering the other Series 1 models to follow next year I believe

1996???

Offline msm80

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
Reply #2 - Nov 11, 2021 - 08:55
1996???

My first edition is dated 1996, my daughter kindly gave me another copy not knowing I had one already which was the second reprint in 2011.
M

Just noticed printed in Hong Kong then of course China!! 🤔
1 Thank you.

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"

Offline james diehl

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Nov 11, 2021 - 10:21
One can pre-order here https://www.amazon.co.uk/-/en/James-Taylor/dp/1906133905 .
Available on ebay for much less,27 i believe

Offline GunnarTM

• '53 80", '15 90"

Offline dennington88"

• LRSOC Member
  • Back to 2 Land Rovers again & 2 bikes, what next.
Reply #6 - Nov 11, 2021 - 13:02
Maybe you have your browser set to USA ebay ?. This comes up on my search.

Regards
Kevin

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353745976225?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
1 Thank you.

Offline Chriswilderspin

• LRSOC Club Secretary
Reply #7 - Nov 11, 2021 - 13:18
Mine arrived today but Im not allowed to look at it until 25th December :(

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #8 - Nov 11, 2021 - 13:34
It is  a happy thing that there is to be an even more corrected edition of this about to appear. But I could never support the way it appears to be set to reach readers .

( But perhaps forgive my slight rant...in view of those critical discussions reaching some formal conclusion in Glasgow this week.
 Is it wise to fill shipping containers with heavy printed books and send them half way around the world on fuel guzzling mega-ships, in this 'instant' electronic age?    Those US based online multinationals who skim hard earned % from Europeans, conspire with cheap labour markets to disrupt previously viable home grown businesses by stifling enterprise here?
 Has the collapse of local town centres over the past decade, the pandemic disruption , even the recent "Evergreen" hiatus ,  taught us nothing yet that would worry our children, and their children?
 Is such bonkers long-distance commerce the only way forward. ? ) :lipsrsealed: :motz:
1 Thank you.

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Nov 11, 2021 - 15:04
Is such bonkers long-distance commerce the only way forward. ?

You're right, Tom... but this morning I had to meet friends in a garden centre coffee shop.  The acres and acres of Xmas tat (including a trio of life-sized singing reindeer!) was just mind-boggling in the extreme.  It is, I'm afraid, the way of the world now to source everything at the lowest price, even if that means it has to be made at the lowest price on the far side of the world, and shipped here in a vessel the size of a  small nation it's wrong... but how many of the people buying in that garden centre even begin to consider that.

It's small wonder that the Chinese have (shall we say) a contempt for the Western world... look at the tat we ask them to make and send to us!
2 Thanks.

Offline Ivor M

Reply #10 - Nov 11, 2021 - 15:47
Graeme, don't  tell me STRIKE garden centre. :smiley:

Offline james diehl

• LRSOC Member
Reply #11 - Nov 11, 2021 - 16:04
Available on ebay for much less,27 i believe
I paid 27.38 from Wordery on ebay UK about 2 weeks ago

Offline Landie Les Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Nov 11, 2021 - 17:44
Mine arrived today, the one I am really interested in is coming next year though.

Offline Adam Bennett

Reply #13 - Dec 10, 2021 - 20:43
Grate book.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #14 - Dec 10, 2021 - 22:23
Grate book.
Fireside reading then?   :tic:
3 Thanks.

Offline A Price

• LRSOC Member
Reply #15 - Dec 11, 2021 - 18:10
Cheapest place to buy it is W H Smiths on line!
1 Thank you.

Offline Graeme Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #16 - Dec 12, 2021 - 08:46
Graeme, don't  tell me STRIKE garden centre. :smiley:

No... it was further east than that, in Whitby.  I confess. though, actually to buying an item of 'Christmas tat'... it was a small plaque with a sheep on it, saying "Baa, Humbug"!  It will go up on the mantlepiece later today.

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member
Reply #17 - Dec 12, 2021 - 11:39
I am afraid that is in the class of the circular plaques sold at Lands End that say "This is a round tuit".

Nick
1 Thank you.

Offline Landy88

• LRSOC Member
  • Land Rover Series 1 88` 1957 Soft Top
Reply #18 - Dec 12, 2021 - 17:09
Hello All,

I have mine ordered directly from Herridge and Sons and deliverd to Switzerland. It is a wonderfull
Book with nice Pictures . Good read for the Evening.

Offline jonhutchings

Reply #19 - Dec 15, 2021 - 13:56
So I received my copy this week and am working my way through it. It appears to be an excellently produced book, but I'm currently reading the Chassis, Axles etc. chapter and have a number of comments/questions.

p30 Bumper
Quote:
"All production 80-inch Land Rovers had a detachable front bumper, and on the earliest models this was galvanised to improve it's durability. However after about 150-200 vehicles had been built, it was simply painted silver...." (end quote)

Surely this is not right, all series land rover bumpers are galvanised aren't they? James is conflating the Bumper and the Chassis here?

P31 Gearbox (no 4) cross-member
Quote:
"This was bolted to the underside of the side rails, with two bolts either side" (end quote)

Again, was this _ever_ the case? I thought only later military series land rovers had removable gearbox cross members, certainly standard production 80"s don't .

P32 Outriggers
Quote:
"All chassis had two box-section outriggers on each side, welded outboard of the side rails" (end quote) James then talks about bulkhead cross members and goes on to say  (quote) " the second outrigger on each side was alongside no5 on front body support cross-member"  (end quote)   

Are these "box section" on any 80" ? I believed they were always an inverted U section (i.e open at the bottom) unlike the bulkhead ones which are box-section  ?

Sorry if this seems like I'm nit picking on what is in many ways an excellent book, but if like the last book this becomes a go to guide for restores, it would be good to ensure it is as accurate as possible ? Of course I may be wrong in all of the above - this is always a good possibility  ;D

Offline roversrussell

• LRSOC Member
Reply #20 - Dec 16, 2021 - 07:14
yes john you are correct

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #21 - Dec 16, 2021 - 08:16
So I received my copy this week and am working my way through it. It appears to be an excellently produced book, but I'm currently reading the Chassis, Axles etc. chapter and have a number of comments/questions.

p30 Bumper
Quote:
"All production 80-inch Land Rovers had a detachable front bumper, and on the earliest models this was galvanised to improve it's durability. However after about 150-200 vehicles had been built, it was simply painted silver...." (end quote)

Surely this is not right, all series land rover bumpers are galvanised aren't they? James is conflating the Bumper and the Chassis here?

P31 Gearbox (no 4) cross-member
Quote:
"This was bolted to the underside of the side rails, with two bolts either side" (end quote)

Again, was this _ever_ the case? I thought only later military series land rovers had removable gearbox cross members, certainly standard production 80"s don't .

P32 Outriggers
Quote:
"All chassis had two box-section outriggers on each side, welded outboard of the side rails" (end quote) James then talks about bulkhead cross members and goes on to say  (quote) " the second outrigger on each side was alongside no5 on front body support cross-member"  (end quote)   

Are these "box section" on any 80" ? I believed they were always an inverted U section (i.e open at the bottom) unlike the bulkhead ones which are box-section  ?

Sorry if this seems like I'm nit picking on what is in many ways an excellent book, but if like the last book this becomes a go to guide for restores, it would be good to ensure it is as accurate as possible ? Of course I may be wrong in all of the above - this is always a good possibility  ;D

I knew theere was a good reason for not buying this book... Thanks for the heads-up,  you have saved me a few quid.

Offline Chriswilderspin

• LRSOC Club Secretary
Reply #22 - Dec 16, 2021 - 09:16
Mind you, the earlier "Original Land Rover" book wasn't 100% correct.

It was my bible during the rebuild of LVO and I spent months searching for a Lucas DVX4HA distributor (picture caption on page 36) before realising that, in the text, it stated "DVXH4A"! :banghead:
1 Thank you.

Offline VRO Moderator

• LRSOC Member
  • You can never have too many Land Rovers
Reply #23 - Dec 16, 2021 - 09:43
I still like the book, there is lots of useful information and the pictures are excellent.

Offline daleradford Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • bodgers beware
Reply #24 - Dec 16, 2021 - 11:15
Adam Bennett's early land rover has a painted bumper.

Dale

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal