80 dig out

Offline stephen grima

• Non-Member
80 dig out
- Nov 03, 2021 - 06:18
Hello all. This is An early series 1 80 inch. Solid bones but cut up body( made to look like a lightweight).Thinkering if to restore to original specs or leave as is. Any views about it?

Sent from my Armor_6 using LRSOC mobile app

Offline VRO Moderator

• LRSOC Member
  • You can never have too many Land Rovers
Re: 80 dig out
Reply #1 - Nov 03, 2021 - 08:05
Obviously itís a personal choice and I am sure you will get a full range of views here. For me it would depend a bit on how much work is needed underneath. If it needs a complete strip down to repair chassis and bulkhead then I would be tempted to return bodywork to original but if itís a rolling restoration I would be tempted to leave the bodywork as is given itís part of its history. What year is it and do you know its history. Interesting project either way

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline Stephen M

• LRSOC Member
  • 1951 80Ē
Reply #2 - Nov 03, 2021 - 14:08
My take on it is that itís not a vehicle that has for example historical significance, and thus one where you would inherit an obligation of custodianshipÖ. So you are therefore really free to do as you wish; follow your enthusiasm:-)

I would be taking the bodywork back to a standard shape - but just as itís my preference.

Offline Tony B

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Nov 03, 2021 - 14:37
A further vote for replacement panels.

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Nov 03, 2021 - 19:21
If it was mine I could probably live with the back wings but would have to replace the front ones.

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Nov 03, 2021 - 19:25
What do YOU want to use it for?

Would be fun to use as is - actually looks nice and straight and that things have been altered competently.

Equally if has good bones could be returned to near original spec.

Either way enjoy it.

Nick.

Offline B.S.F.

• Non-Member
Reply #6 - Nov 03, 2021 - 23:12
What you should do is decide now what is "part of it's history" or  "adds character ", which seems to be the standard explanation / excuse when people don't want to do a particular job, run out of funds or enthusiasm  half way through the restoration.
.W.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal