New purchase

Offline oilyrag

• Non-Member
New purchase
- Nov 02, 2021 - 18:10
Hello everyone,
after many years of false starts, indecision and searching I have at long last acquired a series 1, 88 ins and it's 1957.  I feel like I am now at the start of a long journey, I'm sure it will be interesting but lots of work coming along. The chassis to would seem to be repairable, it needs some new pieces letting in but the rest appears (I hope) to be surface rust, it also has a series 2/3 rear cross member as well. I do have some spares included by the seller though, a Radfords rear cross member, both bulkhead pillars, the top rail and an outrigger.  The bulkhead is unfortunately rather perforated so I'll have to see what the best way forward is.  A spare 2 litre petrol engine was also included which needs a rebuild and presently fitted is the popular period conversion Perkins 4.203. 
After a thorough inspection to see what I've really got I have attempted to start the engine, it ran for a few seconds so I'm fairly confident about the Perkins but the cranking rapidly flattened my spare battery. The battery that came with it appears to be shot so I was wondering what is the best replacement type, specification, as the Perkins is a bit of a lump.
Any comments and opinions appreciated as I'm sure many of you will have been where I am.  I'm really pleased at last to be an owner

Offline oilyrag

• Non-Member
Re: New purchase
Reply #1 - Nov 02, 2021 - 18:11
Sorry, forgot to say, I'm Michael, I'm in East Lancs.
thanks

Offline Trevor Cobb

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #2 - Nov 02, 2021 - 18:22
Hi Michael
Welcome  to series 1 ownership , looking at your bulkhead I would suggest a replacement is the way to go .
Either a remanufactured one or perhaps a solid Australian import
Trevor

Offline VRO Moderator

• LRSOC Member
  • You can never have too many Land Rovers
Reply #3 - Nov 02, 2021 - 18:25
Welcome to the forum and to Series 1 ownership. Projects are so much fun. Finding out what you have, what’s needed and the steps you take along the way. In addition there is so much to learn, the learning never stops. The forum is full of useful info and most questions have been asked before. Use the search function to find what you need and if you can’t find the answer, ask away. We love pics of projects and progress so do update on progress. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline 34058

Reply #4 - Nov 02, 2021 - 18:59
Hello and welcome.

The bulkhead top rail on my 80" was at least as bad as your one but I managed to repair it.  I don't know exactly how many 86/88" bulkhead repair sections are offered for sale, but if that's the only rusted through part then it's got to be worth a shot at repairing it.

David

Offline oilyrag

• Non-Member
Reply #5 - Nov 02, 2021 - 19:09
Thank you,
 I am looking forward to doing this and I hadn't thought of an Ozzie bulkhead, I'll look into that. I did really want to have a crack at repairing it but I need  to be realistic. It is to be honest rustier than I thought but I don't regret buying it, I said to my wife as we surveyed everything- "if they can get Donald Campbell's boat running after decades at the bottom of the lake I'm sure I can sort it out".  As I go through this I'm sure I'll keep changing my mind as I find stuff out. 
Thanks,
Michael

Offline jonhutchings

Reply #6 - Nov 03, 2021 - 10:40
Welcome,
It's nice to see a hard top thats not had extra windows cut in it. Looks like a good project which will keep you busy.

Jon

Offline Calum

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Nov 03, 2021 - 19:28
Hi Michael!

Nice project. Looks similar to mine condition wise (although my bulkhead is even worse...) I'm from East Lancs originally (Rossendale to be exact) but now live just over the border in West Yorks. Is that a Triumph 2000 lurking in the garage?

Offline tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

Reply #8 - Nov 03, 2021 - 21:54

Jon,  My wife says no good for going to the tip in,,  will need a permit.

Offline donp38

Reply #9 - Nov 03, 2021 - 23:59
Take your time and enjoy as a hobby…it will surely test you.
But enjoy..,yes that is triumph in the background for sure:..

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline jonhutchings

Reply #10 - Nov 04, 2021 - 11:25
  Jon,  My wife says no good for going to the tip in,,  will need a permit.

It's a good excuse to have several land rovers  :smiley:

Offline oilyrag

• Non-Member
Reply #11 - Nov 05, 2021 - 13:13
Thanks for all your kind words, it is a Triumph 2000 in the garage, that will have to come out and spend a little time under a tarpaulin while I work in the dry.
I think you are right about the local tip, they seem to regard them as vans and I'm glad too that the top is as original, I have no plans to put windows in it, it's nice as it is.
  The Triumph was actually my first project some years ago so I'm ready for another, although I would not want to do another monocoque with all the corrosion, I always thought if I do another car I want a proper chassis.
 I'm servicing the engine initially to get it mobile enough to move under it's own power and drive into the garage, despite some info on-line about excessive noise and torque the engine does seem to be a quality unit when I've done some research, Perkins did I think engineer them very well so for the time being it will do for me.
I do live in Rossendale Calum, so you will know what the weather's like, I'm keen to get it out of the rain and under cover.
   I'll let veryone know when I make some progress,
Thanks,
Michael.

Offline oilyrag

• Non-Member
Reply #12 - Jan 27, 2022 - 17:38
Progress ? Well a little, but going into a sub zero garage is not that enticing so it's slow but steady.
Michael.

Offline oilyrag

• Non-Member
Reply #13 - Jan 27, 2022 - 18:05
I've also got the engine running,  although it's rather noisy with no silencer yet, it was difficult to get it running. I had to dismantle and clean the injectors but I don't have a pressure tester so I re-assembled the injectors to be exactly  the same as before  plus a little extra turn on the adjuster screw to increase the pop off pressure, as I'm given to understand that pressures drop in service.  It runs for around 10 minutes before stalling so maybe an issue with air in the system or as a responder on the "Farming Forum" suggested a weak fuel pump so I'm fitting a new pump together with a new glow plug for the inlet manifold.  I didn't want to spend to much on the perky so hopefully that's it.
Apart from that some minor welding on the dumb irons, and under the bump stop.  I'm getting nearer starting the bulkhead now, not looking forward to it as it's poor condition, there are that many holes it's a case of replacing entire sections rather than patching what's there.
All the best,
Michael

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal