Hello from W.Yorks

Offline Calum

• LRSOC Member
Hello from W.Yorks
- Aug 08, 2021 - 19:59
Hi all

Some will know me already from the leaf sprung land rover world, either in real life or on the S2C or OLLR/Seriously series forums. I've driven my 1972 88" daily for the last 11 years or so but I also have a 2a Carawagon. I've finally completed the set and agreed to buy an 86" which is in need of a LOT of work (but don't they all?) which I will hopefully collect in the next few weeks. I'm sure there will be many questions to follow!

Cheers
Calum
1 Thank you.

Offline Defender9

• LRSOC Member
Re: Hello from W.Yorks
Reply #1 - Aug 11, 2021 - 06:57
Hi Calum, welcome to the forum. Glad you have completed the set and got a Series One. By the way the Series 3 transfer box I got off you last year is working well behind the LT77 box  :smiley:
John

Offline Calum

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Aug 11, 2021 - 15:42
Hi John

I'm glad to hear it! Did you just fit it as-is? It looked nice from what I recall.

Calum

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Reply #3 - Aug 11, 2021 - 17:38
There are quite a few of us from the S2 Club who lurk on here.

Peter

Offline strang

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Aug 11, 2021 - 17:52
Hey up Calum, lots of Series One owners around these parts as you will know of course!

Offline Calum

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Aug 11, 2021 - 21:26
Indeed Mark, just one or two!

There are quite a few of us from the S2 Club who lurk on here.

Peter
Yes many familiar names, which doesn't surprise me!

Offline Defender9

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - Aug 12, 2021 - 21:33
Hi John

I'm glad to hear it! Did you just fit it as-is? It looked nice from what I recall.

Calum
Hi Calum, yes it was in excellent condition just needed a quick inspection of the internals and a clean up. I seem to remember you thought it was in good order.
Cheers,
John

Offline SalisburyPlainThreshingCo

• Non-Member
Reply #7 - Aug 16, 2021 - 09:41
Hello you, before I could find a P4 for some sensible motoring, I ended up needing to join up here last month, I bet my wreck is worse than yours....

Offline Calum

• LRSOC Member
Reply #8 - Aug 16, 2021 - 10:11
Hello you, before I could find a P4 for some sensible motoring, I ended up needing to join up here last month, I bet my wreck is worse than yours....
Ha! Yes I had already read that post and thought it may well be yourself! Well done!

Offline Calum

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Aug 16, 2021 - 22:10
And here it is in all its glory...

I have known of this motor for around 20 years now. As a child I used to play at a friend's house across the road from where the then-owner lived, and remember it parked outside. A couple of years later he unfortunately passed away and it was parked up at a farm half a mile or so up the road and there it has sat for the last 15-20 years.
Thankfully I have been entrusted by the guy I bought it off to take it on, rebuild it and look after it. It's a shame I've had to watch it deteriorate so much in the intervening years but I'm very glad I've managed to save it.
Obviously it was nice and local, but whilst it is very rusty now it is complete. The bodywork is pretty straight aside for a NSR wing crease and a few small dents on the front wings. The original green paint seems to have survived well under the faded blue/grey (which is peeling off in a lot of places) so I'm hoping I can get back to the original bronze green and civil defence markings.
The engine is a 2.0 spreadbore as it should be but the block wears a number from a 1953 P4 60 (although it still has the LR head and carb).

It'll need a new bulkhead, there is little left of it and the dash shelf has fallen off completely. The chassis should hopefully be saveable so the intention is to do a full mechanical and electrical rebuild, and try and preserve any original paintwork and markings that may survive.

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Reply #10 - Aug 16, 2021 - 22:48
Excellent

Peter

Offline Defender9

• LRSOC Member
Reply #11 - Aug 17, 2021 - 10:15
Looks a good project Calum. I have had two RGC Series Ones, my son still has RGC917, family owned for over 30 years. There is a register of RGC vehicles compiled by a forum member. According to limited information records in the book the Green Machine your vehicle was in the West Riding Harrogate Brigade.
Keep us posted on the rebuild.

Offline jim_mcc

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Aug 17, 2021 - 11:19
Hi Calum,

Welcome to the forum. That looks like an excellent project. Cheers, James

Offline SalisburyPlainThreshingCo

• Non-Member
Reply #13 - Aug 17, 2021 - 13:06
Looks wonderful, certainly worth trying to save the original paint. Interesting drawbar on the bumper, is that something you fitted to move it, just the welds look oddly fresh if not from the photo? Shame about the bulkhead, I'm looking to befriend someone with a reasonable one to measure up for replication! Not sure if 86" and 109" are different anyway.

Offline Calum

• LRSOC Member
Reply #14 - Aug 17, 2021 - 13:25
Looks a good project Calum. I have had two RGC Series Ones, my son still has RGC917, family owned for over 30 years. There is a register of RGC vehicles compiled by a forum member. According to limited information records in the book the Green Machine your vehicle was in the West Riding Harrogate Brigade.
Keep us posted on the rebuild.

Yes indeed I have been in touch with Ian already. I see so many project motors with absolutely no history at all so it's nice that I know a little about its early life.

Looks wonderful, certainly worth trying to save the original paint. Interesting drawbar on the bumper, is that something you fitted to move it, just the welds look oddly fresh if not from the photo? Shame about the bulkhead, I'm looking to befriend someone with a reasonable one to measure up for replication! Not sure if 86" and 109" are different anyway.

Yes the bumper bracket was quickly knocked together by the guy I bought it off so we could easily use his straight bar to move it. In the last photo I put up we had just moved the vehicle from beyond the houses at the far right of the photo. It's a steep hill!

Offline JBLancs

• LRSOC Member
Reply #15 - Aug 17, 2021 - 19:39
Superb that you have obtained such a wonderful vehicle and nice that itís local too. Couldnít have ended up in better hands. Good luck with the restoration and as always Ö keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal