Applying for original or age related registration.

Online MilkMan

• LRSOC Member
  If you are after a registration for your Series One Land Rover I will post out a Registration Pack detailing everything needed. It also includes all the necessary forms ( V55/5, V765 ) correctly filled in. Before Iíll post out a Registration Pack I MUST receive PROOF that the vehicle is complete. I MUST HAVE  : - Front and rear current photos of COMPLETE vehicle, photos of chassis number on chassis and photos of chassis plate. I also need chassis and engine numbers and your FUll name and address. Post these to my address in Watford ( in Legend ). Please also include a covering letter detailing a bit about history of vehicle.
    ALL applications require a Heritage Certificate ( proofing when vehicle was built and acceptable to DVLA ). Apply on line at British motor museum/heritage certificate. Certificate costs £45. If you already have a Heritage Certificate please send me a photocopy along with your photos.
1 Thank you.

Offline Shiel7777

• LRSOC Member
As a sinner I have to admit that I sold my registration number nearly 40 years ago, young family  mortgage  ect. Is it possible  to get a non suffix number or am I stirring up a hornets nest

Offline Old Hywel

• Non-Member
Whatís on it now? An A-plate?

Offline Shiel7777

• LRSOC Member
Correct an unused Northamptonshire  A registration

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
It is very likely that 40 years ago when you got the A suffix reg mark that was what DVLA were giving out as age related in which case they will not change it for a non suffix reg mark

Peter

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
It is very likely that 40 years ago when you got the A suffix reg mark that was what DVLA were giving out as age related in which case they will not change it for a non suffix reg mark

Peter
I was issued with an A plate in around 1986.  (I had applied for age related on a '53 that was on an E suffix when I bought it).

After I was issued the A suffix which was all they were prepared to do,  all subsequent attempts to get it changed for a non suffix plate failed.

I ended up doing a cherished transfer of a 6 character plate onto the vehicle.

Cherished transfer of a number bought from someone who has one on retention  might be the only way you can loose the suffix letter.

Not Cheap!  But you might find one for sale at £500 ish but not much around below that sort of figure.     It depends how badly you want to loose the Suffix and how deep your pockets are.

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
My 86Ē had an A plate after the previous owner sold the original. I took all my paperwork to the local DVLA office (remember them??) and in about 15 mins I had an age related plate issued. I had to explain why it had an A reg as the lad I spoke to was far too young to remember them being issued.

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
My 86” had an A plate after the previous owner sold the original. I took all my paperwork to the local DVLA office (remember them??) and in about 15 mins I had an age related plate issued. I had to explain why it had an A reg as the lad I spoke to was far too young to remember them being issued.

I have a 1979 build 101" which wasn't bodied until 1983,  In 1983 it was issued to the RAF. Upon release from MoD it was registered based in the 1983 date into service (D.I.S) and hence it was given a 83 Y plate and it had this plate when I bought it.

When the vehicle was eligible for Historic status (April 2020) I sent in proof that the vehicle had been built in 1979 (letter from club historian) and DVLA agreed to ammend the build date on the V5C but they did not change the registration mark  to reflect this.

I subsequently wrote to them explaining that the Y plate made the vehicle appear newer than it actually was, I pointed out that the plate should not make the vehicle appear younger, and they issued me with a replacemeny 1979 S registration.

Since then a good number of similar 1979 build, 1983 into military service vehices have successfully had the year of build and taxation class changed on the V5C but still with a Y reg.

I have told these owners how I got DVLA to change my reg from a Y suffix to an S suffix and they have all tried to follow the same route.  All have had that application turned down and are stuck with the 83 plate and DVLA will not budge.

What I have learned about DVLA is they constantly change the rules, and just because they did something in 2020 does not mean they will do it now in 2022.

However easy it was to get a correct age related plate, even two and a half years ago, or when local offices still existed, does not mean it is going to happen now.

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
Sadly Monkeypin things have changed beyond all recognition at DVLA since they did away with local offices.

Peter

Offline msm80

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
I have a 1979 build 101" which wasn't bodied until 1983,  In 1983 it was issued to the RAF. Upon release from MoD it was registered based in the 1983 date into service (D.I.S) and hence it was given a 83 Y plate and it had this plate when I bought it.

I subsequently wrote to them explaining that the Y plate made the vehicle appear newer than it actually was, I pointed out that the plate should not make the vehicle appear younger, and they issued me with a replacemeny 1979 S registration.

Interesting to read that Mike. My ex RAF 80Ē was built and delivered Jan 1952 then did not leave service until 1968 and subsequently registered for that year with an F suffix. However for reasons I cannot fathom it has year of manufacture as 1958! Its not a bother to be honest and I suspect the DVLA office at that time mis-wrote 1968 as 1958 and it subsequently got stuck with it post computerisation. Iíve long decided to leave well alone given it is at least registered and categorised as Historic. Besides it is what it is as is so to speak. Tempted though Iíve been to seek out a cherished number the cost and hassle seemed pointless given it does have some history.
M

Offline Marc Pedersen Trade advertiser

• LRSOC Member

Peter
I agree with Peter, I went down the cherished transfer route to change my A suffix as DVLA werenít interested.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
I agree with Peter, I went down the cherished transfer route to change my A suffix as DVLA werenít interested.

The full story pf my 80" was its original six character registraion mark was changed to H 21 when it transferred from Courages Brewery to Hitchens Ltd. When Hitchens sold it they retained the H 21 registration mark and it was given reg ETM 879D (the year of that transfer).  I actually bought it with the ETM 879D registration, and applied to DVLA to change this to an age related plate.   They did not give me a six character reg but to my annoyance gave it BBM ***A registration.

I went back to them asking for a six character registration and they flatly refused to do this. (possible date for this conversation was 1987/88?)

I was on the point of selling a non suffix 1965 series IIA and I decided to do a cherished transfer.   The IIA was odd that for a 65 build it would be expected to have a C suffix, but was actually 202 GYU.   I was happy to do the transfer because the donor ended up with a C suffix that actually suited the year it was first registered, and the 80" gained a six character reg.  Admittedly it was numbers first letters last, when really it should have neen numbers first, letters last, but at least it was without a suffix letter.

For me,  cherished transfer was the only way I would get a six character registration mark onto that 1953 80",  and already holding a donor plate it was relatively cheap thing to do.

Offline Brian H

• Non-Member
Hello,
I'm new here so maybe asking a stupid question but hoping someone can help?  I've just bought a 1957 88" that has been been chopped up and fitted with 80" inch bodywork, it was in pieces when i bought it but i have no reg no for it. I have the  vehicle number on the bulkhead plate that identifies it as a 1957 88" but i cant find number stamped on chassis, it like a patchwork quilt with welding !! Could anyone advise the best way to get a reg no for it please ?

Many thanks Brian

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
You need to speak to Mick Burn the S1 club Vehicle Registrations Officer (milkman on here) before you go anywhere near DVLA.
There is nothing worse for him than trying to untangle the mess that some people get into with DVLA

Peter (with my S2 Club VRO hat on)

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Hello,
I'm new here so maybe asking a stupid question but hoping someone can help?  I've just bought a 1957 88" that has been been chopped up and fitted with 80" inch bodywork, it was in pieces when i bought it but i have no reg no for it. I have the  vehicle number on the bulkhead plate that identifies it as a 1957 88" but i cant find number stamped on chassis, it like a patchwork quilt with welding !! Could anyone advise the best way to get a reg no for it please ?

Many thanks Brian

Vehicle identity comes from the chassis alone.   Any numbers on the bodywork that do not relate to the chassis are of no value.

You will need to prove by some means or another the identity of the chassis.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal