New Member, Old Land Rover

Offline doflynn

• LRSOC Member
New Member, Old Land Rover
- Jul 27, 2021 - 12:26
Hi All,

I'm not new to Land Rovers, but this is my first series 1 and I have a lot to learn !  It's an 86" and was built in 1955, but sold in 1956 in Auckland, New Zealand so has a very low chassis number for that year.  Now back in Suffolk and going through some refreshing.  New brakes, brake lights, wipers and tyres, so plenty to get on with.  Some fresh seats would be good too.

Running and driving already, I'm hoping to have it out in the summer.  To paint or not to paint, now that is the question...?

Also, does anyone have the measurements or drawing of the windscreen glass ?, in case I can't buff these clear enough.

Cheers,
Damian

Offline BaronDefenders

• LRSOC Member
Re: New Member, Old Land Rover
Reply #1 - Jul 27, 2021 - 12:50
If it were mine, I wouldn’t paint it. That looks to have quite a nice “patina” as is.

Equally, a fresh paint job would look very smart.

Charlie

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Jul 27, 2021 - 19:31
I'd be tempted to leave it unpainted

Offline Fen Boy Paid AdvertiserModerator

• LRSOC Member
  • If it ain't broke... Fiddle with it until it IS !
Reply #3 - Jul 27, 2021 - 19:49
If you have a small list of other jobs to do then I'd focus on those first to keep it roadworthy and running and in use. Paint is  a personal look / choice but mechanical reliability and safety more so...  so whilst some might think that a bare metal respray is the desirable thing.... it will of course change its look and how you then use and drive it. As it stands it unique and a 1 off and likely create just as much attention and interest.... once I would gone for a respray but today I'd be tempted to live with it. Good luck.

Offline midlandoak

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Jul 27, 2021 - 20:17
Damian
I had an opaque windscreen on my 80 I tried the proverbial options of Brasso mixed with wood ash but then got the number of a company called SGR Scratched glass repair
Did an excellent job on my original Triplex toughened and managed to retain the kite mark
Ken

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal