New member with LRS1 to sell

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
- Jul 18, 2021 - 09:54
Hello to all.
I am a new member having joined with the intention of seeking help to gain provenance to sell my old family-owned series 1.
The LR has been in the family for over 40 years.
Following the passing of the person who was storing the LR, we have been tasked with clearing the garage.
The last time this LR saw light of day was 18 years ago.
At that point we had carried out a full engine rebuild (2 1/4 petrol) and a nut and bolt resto using as many original parts again as we could, resulting in a full rolling chassis state.
A replacement S2 gearbox was fitted and S2 half shafts.
The original chassis was repaired as needed and painted with black Miaguard chassis paint.
When we removed the LR 2 weekends ago, it was apparent that the chassis is still in fantastic condition.
The tub and all other parts to finish the project are present.
Our dilemma...we have reg plates, we know a lot of its history / owners, but the chassis plate is missing and we can't locate the old V5.
Can we move to sell our LR without these items?
Any help, guidance or messages would be gratefully received.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Re: New member with LRS1 to sell
Reply #1 - Jul 18, 2021 - 10:05
Hello to all.
I am a new member having joined with the intention of seeking help to gain provenance to sell my old family-owned series 1.
The LR has been in the family for over 40 years.
Following the passing of the person who was storing the LR, we have been tasked with clearing the garage.
The last time this LR saw light of day was 18 years ago.
At that point we had carried out a full engine rebuild (2 1/4 petrol) and a nut and bolt resto using as many original parts again as we could, resulting in a full rolling chassis state.
A replacement S2 gearbox was fitted and S2 half shafts.
The original chassis was repaired as needed and painted with black Miaguard chassis paint.
When we removed the LR 2 weekends ago, it was apparent that the chassis is still in fantastic condition.
The tub and all other parts to finish the project are present.
Our dilemma...we have reg plates, we know a lot of its history / owners, but the chassis plate is missing and we can't locate the old V5.
Can we move to sell our LR without these items?
Any help, guidance or messages would be gratefully received.

If the vehicle has ever been on the DVLA computerised system simply apply to DVLA for a duplicate V5A?

Offline Fen Boy Paid AdvertiserModerator

• LRSOC Member
  • If it ain't broke... Fiddle with it until it IS !
Reply #2 - Jul 18, 2021 - 10:57
Try a simple DVLA vehicle check on the Reg number you have and see what comes back. Search the DVLA website for a link. If your reg number is still described as your vehicle then that's a good start, you could then apply for a new V5 doc. If not then the reg number has been transferred or perhaps sold and now the fun starts..... keep us posted.

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Jul 18, 2021 - 11:47
Thank you.
Certainly still listed on the DVLA website and showing as current.
My fear was that the DVLA might want to inspect and with the chassis plate missing would deem it unable to register.
I will try DVLA.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Reply #4 - Jul 18, 2021 - 12:17
Thank you.
Certainly still listed on the DVLA website and showing as current.
My fear was that the DVLA might want to inspect and with the chassis plate missing would deem it unable to register.
I will try DVLA.

Simply apply to replace a lost V5.  I cannot see why they would want to make an inspection.
1 Thank you.

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Jul 18, 2021 - 14:34
Thanks for the replies so far on simply applying for a new V5.
Filling in a V62 form for a replacement V5C requires you to give the VIN number.
We don't have this....

Offline scimart

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - Jul 18, 2021 - 14:45
The chassis number should be stamped into it in addition to the screwed on “VIN” plate.   Depending on the year, there are a number of different locations so if you can update us with the year/wheelbase it should be possible to give you its probable location.

DVLA are extremely inflexible with chassis numbers but if all else fails, you may be able to get a Q plate. This is a last resort as it won’t be regarded as an historic vehicle.  I had to do this a year or so ago with a Massey Ferguson tractor which has no trace of a serial number or any evidence of a plate being fitted to the bodywork. It was on the database but they flatly refused to issue a new logbook or assist in identifying the registered keeper - it’s owned by a club I’m in and may well have been in the name of a deceased member…

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline tonyg

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Jul 18, 2021 - 17:05
Evening maverickstu,
Either inform the learned bods of lrsoc of the exact model that you have via photos etc or the reg number.
Then one of the bods can identify where the vin/chassis number should be stamped on the chassis, hopefully under the paint. With that info and confirmation you can apply for a duplicate v5.
In addition the lrsoc shop will sell you a new vin/chassis plate as per original, stamped with the correct number.
If one cannot identify as above then contact milkman on this forum, in addition milkman wrote an excellent article on solving problems such as yours in 2 or 3 issusses ago in the club magazine, back issues again from the club shop.
Do not approach dvla yourself or you could end up with a q plate even though the reg number is shown live.
One of my 40 year old reg numbers I had to fight to be re-issued to me, even though I had the vehicle in a shed.
Regards
Tonyg

Offline Willerby

• Administrator
1 Thank you.

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Jul 18, 2021 - 19:14
Ok, so now the fun has started and you need to find that chassis number...

You don't mention what model of series 1 you have and the chassis number will be stamped in different locations depending on the model.

What have you got ?   Do you know  the year it dates from ?

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
Reply #10 - Jul 18, 2021 - 19:41
Thanks for all of your input.

The LR is a 1954 /1955 86" S1.
Reg is ODG 486.
Truck cab with tilt cover.

It has been in the family since 1982.
We think the old V5 is somewhere in the house but this is an ongoing search.

There is no wish for us to finish the renovation and we want to sell.

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Reply #11 - Jul 18, 2021 - 20:18
You are lucky, as your car is as 57102986 on the Club vehicle Register from 1983.

Sebastian
1 Thank you.

Offline 1964_cooper

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Jul 18, 2021 - 20:24
PM sent

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Reply #13 - Jul 18, 2021 - 20:24
You are lucky, as your car is as 57102986 on the Club vehicle Register from 1983.

Sebastian
Looking at the original entry in newsletter 17 it is very hard to read and might be 57102906

You definitely have to find the number on the chassis itself.

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
Reply #14 - Jul 18, 2021 - 20:39
Thank you very much.
Are you saying this is my problem solved with that number?

Is newsletter 17 available to view here?

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
Reply #15 - Jul 18, 2021 - 20:53
I found the entry.
As you say Sir-Bastian, the print is unclear.
I need to inspect the chassis.

Offline scimart

• LRSOC Member
Reply #16 - Jul 18, 2021 - 21:39
I would read that as 2906 - hopefully finding the chassis number will clarify it.  It should be stamped into the rear nearside spring hanger as per the 1955 example below.

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
Reply #17 - Jul 19, 2021 - 07:12
Thank you for all the amazing help so far.
I shall be inspecting the chassis today.

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
Reply #18 - Jul 19, 2021 - 10:53
Good morning All.

I have located the chassis number on the N/S/R spring hanger - Thanks to scimart.

I can confirm we have 57102906.
ODG 486 Reg.

The next hurdle is to apply for a new V5 and put another owner on her, or leave her be and let the new owner do that....?
1 Thank you.

Offline scimart

• LRSOC Member
Reply #19 - Jul 19, 2021 - 11:08
Great news. As the vehicle is on the DVLA database (last change 1984) I would be inclined to request a replacement V5 to simplify any sale - any cost involved will be a worthwhile investment.

P.S. In your OP, you stated that it had a 2 1/4 litre engine - the photos show what appears to be the proper 2 litre engine so getting this right when you advertise it may help you.

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
Reply #20 - Jul 19, 2021 - 12:42
Thanks once again for good advice.
What a cracking friendly forum!
So glad I decided to join.

• LRSOC Member
Reply #21 - Jul 19, 2021 - 17:22
Glad to hear you're making progress and the details are coming clearer for you. Getting a re-print of the V5 and / or changing it to your names at least proves to an existing buyer that you have title to it.

A polite reminder that when you do decide to sell if you choose to advertise it here then forum rules require it to have a sale price , not an auction or bids over. Just to keep things clear for any potential buyer.

What you have looks like a complete vehicle abeit - dismantled. As mentioned the engine fitted to the chassis is not a 2.25 (later type) - its the original type 2 litre. When the new V5 comes back it will be interesting to see what the engine number is recorded as.  On the engine block fitted - the engine number is at left-hand end of the exhaust manifold stamped into the face and should be easy to read.

Offline Chriswilderspin

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • LRSOC Club Secretary
Reply #22 - Jul 19, 2021 - 17:24
Thanks once again for good advice.
What a cracking friendly forum!
So glad I decided to join.

Friendly is our middle name! : :D

Chris Wilderspin
LRSOC Club Secretary

Offline Maverickstu

• LRSOC Member
Reply #23 - Jul 20, 2021 - 06:45
Glad to hear you're making progress and the details are coming clearer for you. Getting a re-print of the V5 and / or changing it to your names at least proves to an existing buyer that you have title to it.

A polite reminder that when you do decide to sell if you choose to advertise it here then forum rules require it to have a sale price , not an auction or bids over. Just to keep things clear for any potential buyer.

What you have looks like a complete vehicle abeit - dismantled. As mentioned the engine fitted to the chassis is not a 2.25 (later type) - its the original type 2 litre. When the new V5 comes back it will be interesting to see what the engine number is recorded as.  On the engine block fitted - the engine number is at left-hand end of the exhaust manifold stamped into the face and should be easy to read.

Thank you for all your help and support here.
I suppose my next question for the learned colleagues of LRSOC, is just what value is on this old girl?

Offline msm80

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
Reply #24 - Jul 20, 2021 - 07:46
Always a tricky Q to ask especially if it has not been seen in the flesh so to speak. 86" models are not my specialty but there are others who will know. Lately prices have gone a bit stale on classic car projects as the costs of restoration and more importantly the expertise to do them or rebuild special parts they encompass are rising rapidly. Same story for parts as the recent reliable supplies of NoS (new old stock) ex military sources and established firms like Dunsfold DLR and Blanchards are sadly becoming scarce. Broadly speaking a good restoration will take the lions share of the whole cost of a project with £15 - £20k easily being spent in my opinion on most S1's.

That is not to say a very good original example that is 95% complete will not make a good price with the right buyer who either has stock of bits or the expertise to make new parts and or rebuild the vehicle themselves. Some Australian imports are being offered as projects and have been offered in the £6k to £9k mark, but they usually require a lot of work and may not have the right engines etc. Barn finds tend to command higher values when found complete as a non running but rolling chassis. Look at some auction sites, e-bay and Car & Classic websites and look at similar vehicles is a good way to gain some knowledge for a quick look at prices.

Good luck, it does look to be a good project for someone and you might find the right buyer here without going through the tedium of selling online or at auction. As FenBoy has said getting the V5C sorted first will definitely help in the sale in my opinion.

Malcolm

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal