My name is Gerda, from USA

Offline gerdawright

• Non-Member
My name is Gerda, from USA
- Jun 21, 2021 - 12:18
My name is Gerda, from USA, I have just purchased a 1951 series 1 ,  the chassis is in poor condition, Using your chassis information tool , it was manufactured between August 1950 and July 1951, should I dip and strip and repair if possible,  or go down the route of a Heritage chassis, Without seeing the chassis I accept itís hard to comment, but I would love a little guidance which might be preferable.
Thank you!!!

Offline KAC 87

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • KAC 87 - at least I thought I'd finished her!
Re: My name is Gerda, from USA
Reply #1 - Jun 21, 2021 - 12:25
Hello Gerda and welcome.
It would be a good idea to first post some photos on the forum here which would give members a better idea of what you have.
You have taken the first step and bought your 80".
Good luck with her.
Nigel.

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Jun 22, 2021 - 21:15
Welcome to the forum, People on here have repaired some rough chassis over the years so it might not be as bad as you think. As said a photo or 2 would certainly help, A photo of the whole vehicle would be nice as well, we all like to see what others have got 

Offline tsmith

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Jun 23, 2021 - 00:18
Hi Gerda, Where are you in the US?
I acquired a very tired disassembled 80" a few years ago. My chassis had several outriggers and crossmembers missing and was full of rotted areas. I cut out the obvious parts and had it sandblasted aggressively, revealing a few more spots of deterioration. I had very little welding experience but lots of time. I patched the flat areas and purchased missing parts (front dumbirons, crossmembers) from Radfords. I can't praise Radfords work enough.
It was a bit of trial and error but very satisfying to repair the chassis. Between the dimensional information in the book and the depth of knowledge in this forum, It has come together nicely.
Mine is a small 135 Amp MIG welder which was not too costly and big enough for the job. The 14 gauge chassis was considerably easier that the thinner bulkhead repairs but practice and patience will see you through.
It's worth doing.
1 Thank you.

Offline starken

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Jun 23, 2021 - 08:53
Well done. I'm encouraging someone also with limited welding experience to follow the same route. Practice and time.

Offline donp38

Reply #5 - Jul 03, 2021 - 22:42
welcome.
I would always say repair what you have. But it is a long journey.
Try and ensure the job is first class however it is done....it is one of the most important parts to be rebuilt.
Best wishes.

Offline Steve Owen

Reply #6 - Jul 04, 2021 - 14:41
Hi Gerda Welcome I am in Oshkosh WI USA and own a 1953 Srs1, which was rebuilt by (mostly) myself. It is easy if you take your time and do not set a dead line. Forums are a great help. Good Luck. If you need any advice drop me a line Steve Owen

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal