Starter motor washer fallen behind flywheel 1955 86". .

Offline tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
   I have had a disaster today, I was getting a horrible grinding noise when starting engine. When I removed the starter today, the split pin on end of shaft was missing, and the large washer behind split pin has fallen down behind the flywheel out of sight.. Looks like a engine out or gearbox out to remove the washer. The engine will not turn on handle. Wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem.  I have another starter to go in.

Offline Plankton

• LRSOC Member
Not quite the same thing but I dropped a split pin in the bell housing.
I eventually got it out with a mini magnet taped to a coat hanger.
If your washer is jammed that wonít work but if it moves you might have a chance?

Tim, Yes  a magnet was my first thought, but the magnet would first fix itself to flywheel. The  flywheel turns OK anti clockwise.

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
With the starter motor removed it might be possible to use something sticky...something like double sided tape, blue tack...or perhaps duct tape turned back on itself  stuck on the flywheel face and across the teeth, to "sweep " round as the flywheel is turned. A washer might just stick to this and come back upwards if you are lucky?

Worth a go , but fiddly... before you start to split the bellhousing.  ( a problem I see is knowing whether this washer is now down in front of - next to engine block-  lying right at the base of the space???  or has fallen behind( on gearbox side of ) flywheel.

I worry it might get thrown up when caught by flywheel teeth and then fall again to become caught into the clutch pressure plate  etc .

Tom Thankyou for your thoughts. I did think of air down on offside timing cover.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
If you can work it doen to the bottom of the bell housing it might be possible to glue it to the bell housing through the drain hole.  If you know it is stuck in place out of the way at the bottom you can leave it there until you have to take the gearbox out, and then break it free then and retreive it?

Online TDC

• LRSOC Member
Development of 57's idea :-
Stick decent magnet to flywheel (front and back) and rotate one way or other. It may pick up washer and bring it up to the timing window or starter apeture.

Online TDC

• LRSOC Member
A magnet on a piece of stiff (fencing) wire will indeed stick to flywheel but push and slide it over and around flywheel  and poke about for washer. It may find it.

Offline tonyg

• LRSOC Member
Evening tankman,
Search on eBay for engine camera, for £15 the camera attaches to your mobile phone, 5.5mm width, 1 to 5metres long, choice is yours.
Once bits located should be able to resolve.

Regards
Tonyg
Or if urgent buy a camera from toolstation or scewfix or machinemart etc but more dosh. Borescope.. endoscope

Hi Tonyg, Thankyou for the info .  My phone is very basic, I can make calls, and recieve calls, I cannot send  a tex.  I am the wrong age.  But I can still make parts.

Offline Trakgrip

• LRSOC Member
It only takes an hour or so to remove the cab floor, centre seat panel, and unbolt the gearbox assembly. You can shift it back in situ enough to change the clutch, so fishing out a washer should be a doddle. Then an hour to reassemble.

I went through a period in the 80's when I was having clutch problems and did this daily for about a week.

Offline pdes

• LRSOC Member
  Hi Tonyg, Thankyou for the info .  My phone is very basic, I can make calls, and recieve calls, I cannot send  a tex.  I am the wrong age.  But I can still make parts.
Bob, you don't need a phone.  I have this and it has proved invaluable on many occasions! I often tape the camera to a stiff item for rigidity. It may help.
David

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DDENDOCAM-Inspection-Industrial-Waterproof-Semi-Rigid/dp/B08D6K5WQ7/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=DDENDOCAM+Industrial+Endoscope+1080P+HD+Borescope+Inspection+Camera+IP67+Waterproof&qid=1623363230&sr=8-1

Sent from my SM-G975F using LRSOC mobile app

Online B.S.F.

• Non-Member
   I have had a disaster today, I was getting a horrible grinding noise when starting engine. When I removed the starter today, the split pin on end of shaft was missing, and the large washer behind split pin has fallen down behind the flywheel out of sight.. Looks like a engine out or gearbox out to remove the washer. The engine will not turn on handle. Wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem.  I have another starter to go in.
By washer, do you mean the castle nut that measures about 1-1/4" x 1/2" ?
.W.

Online B.S.F.

• Non-Member
If you are using a later starter with split ring instead of split pin your chances of retrieving it improve , as the 'washer' is only 5/16" thick.
.W.

There was no castle nut on the shaft.  The parts book shows a castle nut, but the starter I will be putting back is identical to the one that I have taken out.  Will send a picture.  Bob

Offline Eddy Camerlinck

• LRSOC Member
A small magnet head on an antenna like rod. The sides are isulated so they don't stick to the flyweel. You also have the same but on a flexible rod.
Be careful you retrieve all of the bits as some maybe found their way into the clutch cover.....
Regards Eddy

One of the lads at the powder coaters is bringing me a camera with a small magnet on , Also has a hook attachment. Worth a try.

Offline davep10000

• LRSOC Member
In the past I have had some luck with a long flexible thin walled tube attached (gaffa taped) to a powerful (Dyson) vacuum cleaner.

Offline edseries49

• LRSOC Member
Iíve got a camera to Bob. 

If that fails, as someone said floor out and split the engine gearbox to retrieve it.  Hopefully leaving it on the splines. 

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

The castle nut is out.

I spoke to my good friend Ian Smith this morning, he told me to gat a flexible pick up tool with a magnet on. I bought one from Machine  Mart, and within five  minutes it was out.
   Thankyou to all for the suggestions , and offers of help.

Offline Ivor M

Good Fishing :smiley:

Offline Plankton

• LRSOC Member
Result!
Iím getting one of those!
Tim

DPV 667 is up and running again.  I believe the problem has been caused by no spring washers fitted on the two 3/8" fixing bolts, I undid the two bolts by hand when removing the starter, there was obviously side movement on the shaft.  Next job is to rebuild the starter I removed. The main spring was down the side of the flywheel as well as the nut, so more fishing was needed.
1 Thank you.

On closer examination of the starter I have removed, the internal thread of the castle nut is mostly all gone, so is the external thread on the shaft.  I would say it is scrap. I have found a later one with a different end, no split pin,  needs a bit of TLC.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal