engine lift attachment points - any info

Offline one4ash

• LRSOC Member
Dear All

I need to move a spread bore engine from its current  resting place.  I  moved it last time with webbing straps wrapped around strong points!
There is surely a better way ! I did see a triangular shaped metal plate on Ebay - listed a  S1 S2 S3 - lifting bracket !  I wonder if anyone has a picture of where they attach or could describe the best fixing points up front  and at the rear of the engine .    Mine is currently  sitting without  a starter motor housing, but with flywheel and manifold / carburettor/distributor still attached!   Any sage advice welcome !

Offline craggle

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 86" Station Wagon
Re: engine lift attachment points - any info
Reply #1 - May 18, 2021 - 14:14
I did the same recently when I removed my engine, used soft straps around the engine avoiding any fragile pipe fittings.

My series IIA has nice lifting eyes bolted to each end of the cylinder head and they remain there all the time, part of the engine but very handy when you do need to lift it.

I would like to find a better way to get the engine back in the chassis once I get to that stage as I can see the straps causing damage to the paint on the block and sump.

Craig.

Offline edseries49

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - May 18, 2021 - 14:40
I take out a couple of head bolts and fit some angle as a lifting point.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC
1 Thank you.

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - May 18, 2021 - 15:39
What you might do must rather depend on how well you actually can tie knots.

I know H&S ideals would have you purchase lots of certified gadgets, but the lifting of a Land Rover engine becomes a continuous static load.

I have often used an old style chain hoist   hung from a substantial  overhead joist beam.

I make two loops of rope around the engine block. One passes under in the gap behind the sump  just ahead of the flywheel housing, The other passes down each side to below the  water-pump , and around the crankshaft pulley. The rope used is  two lengths of 12mm pre stretched polyester rope . Each loop has a breaking strain well over 2 tons.( Much greater than the chain hoist can lift.) using proper rope like This image below  has always worked.

Offline one4ash

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - May 18, 2021 - 16:48
Thanks for both Ideas - rope is certainly better than straps - ( at least it can be tied /knotted) !  I expect there will be more - "this is what I do " !

I don't really want to take off the rocker cover and some few head bolts - just to move it - but in the garage / workshop -  with the engine stripped , of ancillaries, that's a good  way .      Thanks for responding!

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Reply #5 - May 18, 2021 - 17:08
I use a couple of Austin A series lifting eyes off the rocker cover studs.  I take of the rocker cover to give me max length of thread and use a hex nut and washer....

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - May 18, 2021 - 17:16
Lay it in a tyre on a sheet of plywood, with a couple of holes drilled in for a rope and drag it.......   They are not that heavy and will easily drag over reasonably level ground.

Offline 34058

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #7 - May 18, 2021 - 19:40
I have moved engines around by sitting the sump on a shovel and just dragging it: on concrete and compacted soil.  It helps to have someone to help balance the engine.

David

Sent from my two tin cans joined with a bit of string.

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Reply #8 - May 19, 2021 - 07:23
We have always done them with rope slings but I have an aversion to knots as they often jam and cannot be undone.  Being ex scouts our ropes have eye splices on the ends which make it eay to hang on a hook.  Splicing is fairly easy to learn and there are some good Youtube teaching videos for both laid and woven ropes.  My Tow Rope also has eye splices on the ends

Peter

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - May 19, 2021 - 08:06
have an aversion to knots as they often jam and cannot be undone.  Being ex scouts our ropes have eye splices on the ends which make it eay to hang on a hook.  Splicing is fairly easy to learn and there are some good Youtube teaching videos for both laid and woven ropes.

Ahhh! There are a number that never jam. Practice the Sheet bend, Bowline , rolling hitch and prusik. Lots of skilled tuition on You tube ...

(IMHO Learning how to Tie  knots should be high within our the national curriculum - a skill for life ?  Unfortunately today most British people  seem happier to leave it to Politicians to do that for them  :tongue: :tic:  ) Remember those olden days  car roof rack disasters  before clip shut cargo boxes existed ? .
1 Thank you.

Offline msm80

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • RAF1952 80"-1948 80"-1951 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
Reply #10 - May 19, 2021 - 08:12
We have always done them with rope slings but I have an aversion to knots as they often jam and cannot be undone.  Being ex scouts our ropes have eye splices on the ends which make it eay to hang on a hook.  Splicing is fairly easy to learn and there are some good Youtube teaching videos for both laid and woven ropes.  My Tow Rope also has eye splices on the ends

Peter

Thats my approach. I have an old pre-spliced mooring warp which is about 8ft long. I put D shackles on the front engine mount having taken loops around both the front crank damper and cleft that is made between the sump and flywheel housing. Equally I find a good short strop does the same job bringing the free ends up above the engine to the lifting eye. Its a matter of guessing the balance point tending to lift it nose higher. By using a swivel in the lifting eye its easy to move the engine slightly onto the chassis mounts and bellhousing of the gearbox. I guess we all have our own pet methods!
M

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #11 - May 19, 2021 - 08:17
Ahhh! There are a number that never jam. Practice the Sheet bend, Bowline , rolling hitch and prusik. Lots of skilled tuition on You tube ...

(IMHO Learning how to Tie  knots should be high within our the national curriculum - a skill for life ?  Unfortunately today most British people  seem happier to leave it to Politicians to do that for them  :tongue: :tic:  ) Remember those olden days  car roof rack disasters  before clip shut cargo boxes existed ? .

Maybe as previously suggested one could watch a YouTube video of how to splice an eyesplice and make up some proper rope slings you can use to make a choke hole around the engine, then you do not end up knotting anything, and have little trouble unthreading the slings?

Peter

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Reply #12 - May 19, 2021 - 18:52
I know and use all those knots when appropriate, a sheetbend is for ropes of different thicknesses , a bwline is very useful for hauling people but it can tighten on polypropylene rope when trying to lift an engine.  It takes minutes to make an eye splice and then your slings are there whenever you need them.  I wouldn't want to use a rope that has been used to lift an engine for anything else.

Peter

Online alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #13 - May 19, 2021 - 20:23
Used to be able to get lifting eyes which screwed into the plug holes would work well on an IOE engine.

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

Online gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #14 - May 20, 2021 - 01:08
Anyone see any photos of how they did it on the production line?
Maybe they employed boy scouts or girl guides for tying knots in ropes😂

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #15 - May 20, 2021 - 06:56
Anyone see any photos of how they did it on the production line?
Maybe they employed boy scouts or girl guides for tying knots in ropes

No they used Black Country boaters. As commercial carrying on Birminghams canals dwindled there was a glut of skilled rope spicers seeking alternative work as the canalfolk moved off the boats and onto the land....

Online alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #16 - May 20, 2021 - 07:49
No they used Black Country boaters. As commercial carrying on Birminghams canals dwindled there was a glut of skilled rope spicers seeking alternative work as the canalfolk moved off the boats and onto the land....
Along with all the unwanted aircraft riveters from WW2. Any Rosies i wonder?

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

Offline fulltilt

• Non-Member
  • 92 KA 58
Reply #17 - May 20, 2021 - 16:08
2.1/4  2.3  & 2.5  engines just use (are fitted)  a cylinder head lifting bracket , each with a pair of  5/16" UNF or 8mm (metricated) - both in shear   ;D   S  or  8.8 grade   :huh:     A leveller fitted to a pair of  1/2" cylinder head bolts is best.

Online Geoff and Vanessa

• LRSOC Member
Reply #18 - May 20, 2021 - 16:53

I made a really posh leveller in work some years back thinking it was a good idea at the time as you do -  hours to spare and a toolroom going begging

It was tried just the once and was more hassle that the worth of it as it increased the distance between the engine hoist hook and the engine / gearbox itself so I either gave it away or skipped it ( memory ? )

I find careful slinging with strops or even with webbing is quicker and more accurate, just my experiences over the years  :tiphat: :steering:

Offline one4ash

• LRSOC Member
Reply #19 - May 27, 2021 - 11:46
Thank you everyone - loads of methods there to consider,  Thankfully the engine is sat on a old trailer  with 8" wheels so is easy to move - it was just the "correct" method of slinging an engine  I was curios over.  Happy now that slings are regularly used  as well as  lifting plates !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal