Looking for a mechanic to rebuild swivels- South or West Yorks

Offline edchef

• LRSOC Member
I'm looking for someone who could rebuild the swivels for my 80", I bought all the bits but then realized I don't have the wherewithall to fit new bearings etc.  I can't justify the cost of a press or similar for a job I will only ever do once, so I would be quite happy to pay a competent fellow club member or recommended professional to do it for me.
I'm Rotherham based but would quite happily drive an hour in any direction for someone who could do these for me.

Thanks All.

Offline DoDO Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
  • DoDO and Mini DoDO
Just to add balance....
The job can actually be done without a press. Just hand tools and vice are all that's required to rebuild swivels.

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
As said ,it is perfectly possible to rebuild the swivels without a press  Looking back I have never used a press when working on the swivels, in fact I don't think I have ever used a press & I rebuilt my Series one from the ground up. A good vice helps though and a few brass drifts.  I admit a press would have been useful at times.

Offline simondewing

• LRSOC Member
Actually using a press is more difficult as you need to use the correct length support inside the swivel housing between the 'ears' otherwise they bend when you press the seats in.
I found this out the hard (and expensive) way!!

Easier to do them 1 at a time in a vice just have to be careful to keep everything square and press seats in using scrap cones/bearings so you don't damage them.

Rgds

Simon

Offline edchef

• LRSOC Member
Thanks for the advice all.  I tread quite a few forum posts and I fear I might have hit a snag with aftermarket swivel housings that may not be manufactured as carefully as they should, the first half-shaft bearing I tried to push in effectively rocks in the housing because the housing is obviously slightly elliptical, presumably due to not having been machined carefully enough after casting.

Sadly at the moment I don't have a big enough vice!

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
a snag with aftermarket swivel housings that may not be manufactured as carefully as they should, the first half-shaft bearing I tried to push in effectively rocks in the housing because the housing is obviously slightly elliptical, presumably due to not having been machined carefully enough after casting.

There have been a batch of these produced some time ago, all are defective. They do the rounds.. Buyer beware .( People on this forum might easily speculate where the ones you bought were supplied from .,sadly, for genuine Series LR  enthusiasts  too many guesses about likely sources would not be wrong.)

You would be well advised to return them and get your money refunded . Sale of goods "not fit for purpose" rules cover this, and don't let them fob you off by saying because you attempted to use them they are no longer "as supplied" . This means nothing ,unless of course your efforts have included an attempt to remachine and correct the tolerance defects you have discovered .   

Offline edchef

• LRSOC Member
Indeed. Sadly I think that ship has sailed as these sat in the garage for a couple of years before I tried to use them.  I'm not 100% sure where they came from but I think it rhymes with Haddock!
Can anyone recommend a 'reliable' source from whom I could purchase some replacements?

Offline DoDO Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
  • DoDO and Mini DoDO
Just remember the retailer isnt responsible for the quality as they don't make the parts and this particular item is only made by 1 or 2 suppliers so its like the quality let down resides with the factory making them.

That said knowing what colour box the retailer peddles is worth finding out before purchasing some items.

Offline edchef

• LRSOC Member
Yes I understand the distinction between manufacturer and retailer.  So can anyone recommend a reliable manufacturer?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal