Been meaning to fix that.

Offline george8406

• Non-Member
Been meaning to fix that.
- May 11, 2021 - 21:35
Had one of those "been meaning to fix that" moments tonight. Ran out of petrol with the gauge showing 1/2 tank. The cap chain came adrift from the tank and was dangling into the tank, been meaning to fix it for months. Paid the price when it decided to hook itself onto the float wire  doh!
any other "been meaning to fix that" stories ?

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Re: Been meaning to fix that.
Reply #1 - May 12, 2021 - 15:35
Could say that about my entire vehicle

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

1 Thank you.

Offline Trakgrip

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - May 12, 2021 - 19:51
I take it that you don't have the strainer fitted in the filler, then?

Offline george8406

• Non-Member
Reply #3 - May 12, 2021 - 21:00
I take it that you don't have the strainer fitted in the filler, then?

Good point. I took the strainer out because it was fouling the sender ! I think at some time in the distant past the wrong sender was fitted.

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - May 14, 2021 - 18:06
A guy i knew,had a diesel powered 80 back in the day, closed up the bottom of the filler tube and had a couple of pints
 of DERV in there. The actual tank was full of red diesel, parrafin  , avtur or whatever cheap fuel he could cadge or pinch.
When the Ministry men dipped his tank all was well.
Even the bit of legit diesel was stolen
Remember  criminals can also be enthusiasts.
On the same theme I worked in construction most of my life the fuel tax guys were forever checking cars and vans for dodgy diesel, they came to site and asked " who has the Land Rover in the carpark we need to check your tank"
After .asking them to wait till I finished my lunch took great pleasure in letting  them take a sample . They thought all LRs were diesel then ( 2001 ish)

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Reply #5 - May 15, 2021 - 10:58
I had mine dipped at Three Counties show. I asked the revenue men for identification before allowing then to check.  They have extensive powers and legally can break into the vehicle to check.  A Friend of mine had the lock broken on his S2  filler . He was naturally furious and went to his Solicitor to make claim for damages and was told it was perfectly legal but  he was able to claim for a new lock. Whether the fact it was a petrol I am not sure. 

Offline Trakgrip

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - May 29, 2021 - 23:12
If I recall correctly, HMRC is the only body that can legally enter your home and search it without a warrant. It has extremely extensive powers.

Offline strang

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Jun 03, 2021 - 18:45
I remember getting stopped in my series one (original 2 litre diesel)  for a DVLA check some years ago. I was flagged down in the street by a young copper and directed to a nearby  haulage yard where various government agencies were present. There were also lots of dodgy looking vans, pickups and taxis there too! As I was heading to work I was wearing a shirt and tie. A DVLA inspector came over for a chat about the series one, and eventually a Police Sgt came over and apologised for me getting pulled, explaining that they had told the young bobby who pulled me over to stop old and dodgy looking vehicles! I was allowed to go, but still very surprised that I did not get my tank dipped.

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Reply #8 - Jun 03, 2021 - 22:27
I had an early diesel and when I purchased it back in 1969  the fuel filter was bright red!  Previous owner was a farmer on the Welsh borders.  I was glad the tank  didn't get dipped  as I believe the dye hangs about for quite a while

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal