Problem starting

Offline Somerset80

• LRSOC Member
Problem starting
- Apr 04, 2021 - 16:37
After advice/suggestions please - my 80 wonít start. Turn key, instrument panel lights go on, fuel pump ticks over and as soon as l press the start button- nothing happens. The instrument lights go out/fuel gauge needle drops and everything is dead. This repeats itself each time l try. Doesnít turn over. Iíve checked electrical connections and Iíve fitted a new battery but no joy. Could it be the starter motor? or ignition switch?
Thank you
Simon

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline nickuk

• LRSOC Member
Re: Problem starting
Reply #1 - Apr 04, 2021 - 16:53
Guesses -

If the battery is good then High resistance connection between battery live and the starter switch - when the starter is operated the very low resistance drops the effective voltage at the starter switch and so kills the electrics.

If not that then the earth lead(s) high resistance battery to chassis (same effect).

If you have a jump lead try connecting battery post (not the clamp on terminal to starter switch output and/or battery earth terminal to bare metal on the chassis or engine block.

Nick.

Offline edseries49

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Apr 04, 2021 - 16:54
Sounds like a dodgy battery connection or earth ?

Offline mutley1954

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Apr 05, 2021 - 17:01
have you got a starting handle, at least to get it running. Could be the starter switch, or earth lead , onto the gearbox.
1955 S1 hardtop, A reg finished at last after 9 yrs,
  Also 110 defender Tdci, BMW Z3

Offline scimart

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Apr 05, 2021 - 17:26
Over the last few years I've experienced 3 batteries which have developed bad connections internally - voltages look good until under load. A jump start gets it running - and the problem may not occur again for a while and the tendency is for people to assume that there's a charging circuit or intermittent discharge fault. This may be something to do with modern battery production methods as I've only encountered it in the last 10 - 15 years and I'm only talking about a limited number of cars belonging to family members so statistically it is very likely that many others will have had similar faults.

If the battery can be checked by substitution that may eliminate a faulty one (which I realise you've done) but there are some simple checks for bad connections - and the simplest is the Mk 1 finger!  Try starting it and then check each connection - battery, earth leads, starter switch, starter motor terminal etc. for any heating - if anything is noticeably warm then that's where the problem is.

If you have a voltmeter and an assistant you can check for a bad connection by looking for a voltage between the lead and its terminal.  e.g. put one probe on the battery terminal and the other on the clamp - if there is any voltage shown while the engine is cranked, suspect a bad connection.  This is a very sensitive test and will show up even a small resistance in the termination.
1955 86" NGY 990 (ex-MoS)

Offline alan reid

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Apr 07, 2021 - 12:53
Had similar problem on my daily driver citroen C2, was a battery fault took some finding after checking all usual suspects bad  earths etc

Sent from my SM-A515F using LRSOC mobile app

1955 107  57200511  HJR 468
1954 107 47100413 WRG162A

Offline Somerset80

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - Apr 07, 2021 - 14:05
Thank you all for the advice, have hopefully traced the fault to the ignition switch (new one on order) so will see if that solves it!

Offline Somerset80

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Apr 07, 2021 - 14:06
Thank you all for the advice, have hopefully traced the fault to the ignition switch (new one on order) so will see if that solves it!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal