1958 SERIES 1 SPEEDOMETER

Offline Johan Marais

• Non-Member
  • One Life Love It
1958 SERIES 1 SPEEDOMETER
- Jan 22, 2021 - 04:56
Hi

I experience some issue with my speedometer and tried to fixed it as far possible as I can but still cant get it to work.

At first did the speedo jumping up and down when traveling, and  I then have replaced the inner of the cable and the inner is turning when the Landy is moving, it also connects properly at the back of the speedo but the needle does not move.

I have opened it up cleaned and lubricate all the necessary parts as indicated in the Jaeger and Smiths manual by Anthony Rhodes.  The spring looks fine and the magnet is turning but the drag cup is not moving the needle. I also increased the tension on the spring a little bit but the needle does not want to move.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Johan

Online autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Re: 1958 SERIES 1 SPEEDOMETER
Reply #1 - Jan 22, 2021 - 09:08
Is the needle cup free to turn against the spring and I wonder whether the magnet has become demagnetised . If you run it out of the vehicle with a drill does anything happen ?

Offline Johan Marais

• Non-Member
  • One Life Love It
Reply #2 - Jan 22, 2021 - 12:18
Hi

Yes the needle cup is free, and I have used a drill but the needle still does not move. I have also tried to re- magnetised the magnet by using the opposite poles and dragging the magnet in one direction over it but no movement of the needle.

Regards

Online autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Reply #3 - Jan 22, 2021 - 12:48
It may be obvious question but are you running it the right direction , ie anticlockwise looking at the back of the gauge ?

Offline Johan Marais

• Non-Member
  • One Life Love It
Reply #4 - Jan 22, 2021 - 13:51
Yes I am running or testing it in the reverse anticlockwise direction and no movement.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal