DIY Land Rover Hood.

Offline Angus Redman

• Non-Member
    • land rover cards
DIY Land Rover Hood.
- Jan 16, 2021 - 19:40
I am looking into the possibility of producing my own 86" hood after the last two Exmoor Trim ones I have had have only last about 18 months and was curious to see if anyone on this forum has attempted to make one themselves?

If so can anyone let me know if there are any template/guides to doing this?

Lastly does any one know a canvas supplier that sell suitable weight and size canvas for vehicle hooding?

Any help and suggestion gratefully received.

Kind regards,
Angus

Offline parksyafw

• Non-Member
  • Surf-Rover
Re: DIY Land Rover Hood.
Reply #1 - Jan 16, 2021 - 19:45
Canít help with the canvas but I would always go to Undercover covers. 100% better, had one on for the last 6/7 years living outside with no dramas at all 👍
1 Thank you.
Parksy
'55 86"
surf-rover

Offline george8406

• Non-Member
Reply #2 - Jan 16, 2021 - 22:14
I made my own hood with a sewing machine I bought for £20 off ebay. It is more functional than pretty but was relatively straight forward. I too had issues with my Exmoor Trim going rotten after 3 years. I have been told the short canvas life was due to the manufacturers unable to use waterproofing chemicals that are harmful to the environment any more. Luckily I had a friend with a brand new old stock 70's tarpaulin which I cut up to make it.
1 Thank you.

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Reply #3 - Jan 17, 2021 - 08:16
I wonder why Exmoor trim have the probelem but Undercover Covers and Allwheel Trim dont.
Whose Tilts do Jaguar Reborn use?
Peter

Offline Trevor Cobb

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Jan 17, 2021 - 10:05
JLR reborn use Undercovers hoods as far as I know , has anyone else had a  problem with Exmoor hoods ?

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
Reply #5 - Jan 17, 2021 - 10:39
There are plenty in the S2 club that have had problems, a friend of mine has had his reolaced twice - he bought it through his local dealer.  They were replaced because of poor fitting after the first one split 2years after purchase.  He wont have another, he has gone to a hard top.
My Undercovers tilt is 3 years old and still seems like new and is a good fit but not perfect is better than the Exmoor offering that it replaced but that one was almost 30 years old

Peter

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Reply #6 - Jan 17, 2021 - 11:26
I wonder why Exmoor trim have the probelem but Undercover Covers and Allwheel Trim dont.
Whose Tilts do Jaguar Reborn use?
Peter

I can confirm, they use Undercover Covers/ Comptons 2000.

1 Thank you.
You are never too old to have a happy childhood.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Jan 17, 2021 - 11:32
JLR reborn use Undercovers hoods as far as I know , has anyone else had a  problem with Exmoor hoods ?
not only with their hoods but also withg their seat backs,  They has two attempts to supply a Minerva hood that fitted.  When they had the second go they had my old hood as a pattern and still could not get it right.  It was easily 2" too short, from the windscreen sharks teeth to the rear hoodstick.

Both the Minerva seat backs they supplied bend in use at the point were they sit on the buffers,  One bend 20 degrees after one passenger used it for the first time,  My drivers seat back ended up bending nearer 30 degrees out of line.

Any attempt to get a resolution from Exmoor was met with rudeness, denials and the worst display of non existant customer services I have ever seen.  My experience of Exmoor would rate them 0/10.

Offline gcc130

• LRSOC Member
Reply #8 - Jan 17, 2021 - 13:37
I wonder if Exmoor are more interested in the bling Defender interior market these days......
Area Rep Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Bristol

Offline stuarty

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Jan 17, 2021 - 16:57
Oh this makes interesting reading!. . I contacted exmoor before lockdown last year as the rear window on my 101 hood went brittle and snapped in half, the hood was under three years old, i was told i would have to prove i bought the hood from them! Surely details that will be in record with them anyway? . . I have since not been able to get them on the phone and i have a hood i paid £500 for with a broken window, and the side window now appears to be going somewhat cloudy! . . This would not be so bad if the hood was not a warrenty replacement for the first one they aupplied that leaked like a sive!!  :smiley:  pardon the pun but what a shower!!  ;D

Offline 80inch_nut

• Non-Member
  • Wayne
Reply #10 - Jan 17, 2021 - 17:33
For canvas material Tarpaflex sell it. See

http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/Green-Canvas-Roll--21OZ-.html

Iíve been waiting for them to have it back in stock and placed an order last week. It arrived next day. Itís 21oz canvas, which is nice and thick.
About £280 for a roll 6ft x 80ft.

Wayne

1 Thank you.

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
Reply #11 - Jan 17, 2021 - 19:46
StuartIf you get no joy from Exmoor you coul look at tent repair  and lorry tarpaulin repair places.  They should be able to install new windows for you and probably of better quality than the stuff that exmoor use.
Peter

Offline Kev 1974

• Non-Member
Reply #12 - Jan 17, 2021 - 19:53
Now this is an interesting reading, I use to work for said company up until a few years ago. When I started (approximately 2005) the company was genuinely producing good quality hoods, and other products. As they built a good reputation the businesses expanded and unfortunately their quality fell apart.

Almost all of their hoods are now produced in India, the quality is nowhere near what they used to be when produced in-house. This also lead to massive lead-times as most of the products are coming from overseas by boat with a minimum of a six week wait. This is also now true of all their metal work including hood sticks and the metal in the series one seat backs ( and yes it bends very easily). They still have a small hood department on site for low volume items and custom parts but the canvas is still of a poor quality.

The stuff I saw while working their was unbelievable, one time a container of series hoods arrived, upon opening the container we were met with a frightful smell, every hood we opened was covered in mould and was half way to rotting! before it had even arrived at the factory, it looked like it had been dragged behind the boat rather than in it. We also regularly received hood stick sets where poor welding was had been ground back AFTER galvanising! and the exposed steel had just been sprayed with a can of silver paint!

The worst thing I ever saw their was when a customer came in concerned about the play in his steering wheel. I took it off to have a look at it and found the outer wheel had completely detached from the spokes and all that was holding it together was the leather cover and stitching! we then looked at the steering wheels we had on the shelf and found that this was not a one off and all the rims where barely attached. I think the wheels came from China, they didn't even have a product recall on a potentially fatally dangerous item, instead they took them offline and sold them at trade shows where the sale could not be easily traced.

On a final note, customer services, were to begin. Firstly most of the staff at said company are not Land Rover fans, they donít really know the difference between a Discovery and a Defender, this unfortunately applies for most of the service team and so when you try and describe you problem with any degree of technical detail they complete glaze over. This is made worse by the fact that once they have finally understood what is wrong they have no power to make any decision so they normally have to talk to the M.D that again has absolute no understanding of anything Land Rover. their normally response is to offer 10% off and that nine times out of ten that is no help to the customer whatsoever. Thirdly, due to the rubbish they are now selling with their name on it there are just so many problems with almost ever product and product line so just keeping up with complaints is hard (just look at their google reviews). Lastly as so much is produced abroad to put it right may involve waiting another six weeks for the next container to arrive (and then find its not fit for purpose)

Back to the question in hand I'm afraid know donít any canvas suppliers but so long as its not from India you should be fine. ;D
12 Thanks.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #13 - Jan 17, 2021 - 21:27

On a final note, customer services, were to begin. Firstly most of the staff at said company are not Land Rover fans, they don’t really know the difference between a Discovery and a Defender, this unfortunately applies for most of the service team and so when you try and describe you problem with any degree of technical detail they complete glaze over. This is made worse by the fact that once they have finally understood what is wrong they have no power to make any decision so they normally have to talk to the M.D that again has absolute no understanding of anything Land Rover. their normally response is to offer 10% off and that nine times out of ten that is no help to the customer whatsoever. Thirdly, due to the rubbish they are now selling with their name on it there are just so many problems with almost ever product and product line so just keeping up with complaints is hard (just look at their google reviews). Lastly as so much is produced abroad to put it right may involve waiting another six weeks for the next container to arrive (and then find its not fit for purpose)

My customer experience including sending them my original hood as a pattern, but forgetting to take the genuine brass hooks off the straps going forward to the windscreen.  The hood was returned with the hooks missing.  Somebody had unbuckled the straps to remove the hooks.

When I rang them to ask where they were they denied all knowledge.

I asked them if they could supply me with a replacement set.

They said no, but they would sell me a set of their repro, brass plated steel hooks (which are of vastly inferior quality to the ones they had lost)

Yes, that is right, they would not even give me their cheap crappy hooks as a replacement for the ones they had pocketed, I would have to buy them!

I won't go into the conversations we had about their bendy seat back... except to say, they denied they had a problem, they denied anyone else had experienced problems and they refused to do anything to rectify the situation.   

When I told them I knew this was not the case and I had talked to several people who had experinced the same failure and who had tried to contact them, but had also be told there was no problem and you would not do anything, and they more or less accused me of lying.....

Offline tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #14 - Jan 17, 2021 - 23:07
It was an excellent firm when Lou Gosling, the MDs father ran it in Birmingham.
1 Thank you.

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Reply #15 - Jan 17, 2021 - 23:30
Lou sewed up all seven of my seat covers in about 1990 from my own original Elephant Hide material and they fitted perfectly. Had  another sewed up by Exmore Trim when one cover was damaged and it fits like a sack in comparison .

Offline Plankton

• LRSOC Member
Reply #16 - Jan 18, 2021 - 08:38
This doesn't bode well!
I am in need of a new tilt and was assuming a nice new Exmoor would be tip top.
I have an old tilt but its heavily stained and the mice have taken a few chunks out of it.
I'm starting to think a professional clean and repair might not be such a bad idea.
I know a sailmaker. I think I'll consult him before doing anything with it.
Tim
Iechyd da

Offline dennington88"

• LRSOC Member
  • Back to 2 Land Rovers again & 2 bikes, what next.
Reply #17 - Jan 18, 2021 - 08:38
Well done for whisleblowing on exmoor trim, when a company supplies bad quality equipment it needs to be brought to people's attention. Sometimes it takes somebody from the inside to reveal dangerous or bad practice. People don't always believe a customer.
Regards Kevin

Sent from my SM-G930F using LRSOC mobile app

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
Reply #18 - Jan 18, 2021 - 10:54
This doesn't bode well!
I am in need of a new tilt and was assuming a nice new Exmoor would be tip top.
I have an old tilt but its heavily stained and the mice have taken a few chunks out of it.
I'm starting to think a professional clean and repair might not be such a bad idea.
I know a sailmaker. I think I'll consult him before doing anything with it.
Tim

I would investigate Undercover Covers/ Comptons 2000 for a new hood.  IMHO there product is excellent and I would not fault it (apart from the straps going forward to the windscreen that on my hood could have been 1 1/2" longer.) 

This might be an alternative to getting yours repaired   Being craftsman made in Birmingham, there is non of this rotting in containers nonsense......

Offline Plankton

• LRSOC Member
Reply #19 - Jan 18, 2021 - 11:38
Thanks for the recommendation. Will do. Tim
Iechyd da

Offline stuarty

• LRSOC Member
Reply #20 - Jan 18, 2021 - 14:22
StuartIf you get no joy from Exmoor you coul look at tent repair  and lorry tarpaulin repair places.  They should be able to install new windows for you and probably of better quality than the stuff that exmoor use.
Peter

Thanks for the idea Peter, I have kinda gave up on Exmoor, I used to regard the hoods and products they sold as the best in the business, but unfortunately the aftersales customer support and the quality of the products are leaving a lot to be desired, Its a real shame.
There is sail maker locally to me who I will get in touch with and see if they can help with the repair.  :thanks:

Stuarty.

Offline starken

• LRSOC Member
Reply #21 - Jan 18, 2021 - 15:26

Many years ago before I became a club member and was even more uninformed, I bought a new cover to replace my tatty hood on my 86 inch. What I discovered was that it was too small. [Aren't all Land Rovers the same size?] Took it to a saddle maker and he cut it long ways and sideways and sewed in new canvas. It was a perfect fit. The only perceived down side was that the roof then had a cross. At the time, my wife, an FE teacher used it to go to work and her students decided despite her denials, that the Land Rover was a target for free-fall parachuting.

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Reply #22 - Jan 18, 2021 - 18:34
Even genuine ones from LR didn't always fit. I had to get three  for 3/4 tilt on an 88" S2 for a friend before we got one that fitted .  We ended laying them out on the floor of the parts department  to prove a point .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal