Hi from NZ

Offline etinnz

• Non-Member
Hi from NZ
- Jan 16, 2021 - 18:10
Hello, just starting down the track of restoring/rebuilding either one good or one good and one additional patina’d series 1 107 Ute. One is a 55 needs a lot of work, the other a 57 sort of running in a kiwi fashion. It is quite incredible what you can do with an old fuel tank and some fuel line on a flat deck (not road legally). It also may have been rechassied onto a 109 frame at some time. The wheels don’t fit in the front wheel arches centrally. They are rather further forward than would be normal to my mind. Thinking of taking the best of one to the the best of the other in the first instance. May just stick with the runner and get her roadworthy then tinker into and past retirement with the other one, I don’t know yet. It rather depends on what my wife can take too! Anyhow, kim sure I will need advice along the way and will add photo’s as I go. Two jobs currently! Revival of the rear tub and restoring the fuel tank. I have heard that helps a little. Then it will have to go through reregistration and certification.

Offline Plankton

• LRSOC Member
Re: Hi from NZ
Reply #1 - Jan 16, 2021 - 18:20
Hi Etinnz,
I bought a 1954 tilt 86” S1 last Sept.
I have found YouTube videos by Geoffrey Coker very informative, although he has a S3. He’s somewhere in BOP, maybe Whakatane, so he might be a good resource for you especially if you’re near there?
Best of luck with your refurb.
Tim
Iechyd da

Offline M80

• Non-Member
Reply #2 - Jan 16, 2021 - 19:34
Hi Eric, I'm just up the road in Whitianga, and call in to our old home town matamata frequently.

Lots of knowledge on here but certainly join the club whilst you are restoring.

Before you judge 107 vs 109 what's what, give us your chassis numbers for positive ID, and physically measure your axle centers at hub to verify.

Best thing to buy would be a parts manual.

Catch up with you  and all the best,

Murray.

R06103599, 132700059, S3 109 s/w #70 NZ CKD,  D90 NAS replica

Offline Alan C

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #3 - Jan 17, 2021 - 01:39
Hello Eric,

I looked at the 1958 109 you bought in Cambridge and made the last comment on the auction site.

I believe the chassis is the correct one for the original bulkhead plate. The 1958 engine may also be the original and if not is the correct year. Probably the gearbox and axles numbers will confirm that you bought a 1958 109 inch Land Rover, generally correct but with some modifications.

The front mudguards are from a earlier model, an 86 or 107 inch, and are not correct. You need to find suitable 88 or 109 mudguards. The bonnet may be correct as it fits up to the correct front radiator panel but is in poor condition towards the back. The back of the cab is not correct and should include a rectangular sliding window. The rear chassis outriggers have been cut off but not needed for a flat tray back. It needs a correct petrol tank. There have been holes gas cut in the left bulkhead outrigger and the one behind the brake cylinder. There are also various modifications that would need to be undone to make a correct 109 inch land Rover. But a good basis to start with. The required parts are out there.

The registration plates are from something else first registered years before your 109 was built and those, their history and the modern VIN plate are all bogus, specious, or of similar description.

I would not bother with the 107/109 rear tub as there is no tailgate, you would need the full rear chassis crossmember to support it, and they are not the most practical to use, a flat tray back would be more useful perhaps. There was a series of posts on traybacks a little while ago.

Offline Alan C

Reply #4 - Jan 17, 2021 - 01:56
PS, the correct chassis number should be stamped into the inside face of the front right spring hanger, may appear upside down.

Offline Alan C

Reply #5 - Jan 17, 2021 - 06:36
Another PS. The bulkhead show features of an 88 or 109 bulkhead, different to and not seen on earlier Land Rovers.

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Reply #6 - Jan 17, 2021 - 18:48
Wellcome, it would be nice to see some pictures of your two cars! Good luck whatever you decide to do with them.
I would expect the chassis number on the left rearmost spring hanger on a 58 lwb. On the earlier vehicle in the position Alan suggested.

Sebastian

Offline Alan C

Reply #7 - Jan 17, 2021 - 20:31
Sebastian,

I think you have transposed the location of chassis numbers, early at the left rear and 1958 as I suggested, is so on my 1958 107SW.

There is a photo of the 1958 109 in Gallery, 122800961, generally as it appeared when I inspected it but the rear tray now in poorer condition.

[size=78%]Alan[/size]

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Reply #8 - Jan 17, 2021 - 21:10
Thanks for the picture.
My 58 109 has the chassis number on the left rear

Sebastian

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal