Introduction

Offline RupertD

• LRSOC Member
Introduction
- Nov 30, 2021 - 23:05
Just purchased my first Series 1. It is a 1957 88Ē LHD Export and was first in the US then Canada from 1981. Since 1983 has only been used off road as a farm vehicle. It is completely original and in ďagedĒ shape with every component correct/original (except the rear lights and brake master cylinder - replaced poorly with a 2-bolt vs 3-bolt) including 3 of 4 original tires! The radiator hoses and the carb hose are even original and leaking/fraying. The oil-bath air filter has been painted blue and a few other weird things but almost nothing has been touched. Itís got 17,165 miles on the clock and the engine has full compression and runs well with new plugs/points/leads. Gearbox/transfer rebuilt but thatís all thatís all thatís been touched mechanically. Even the chassis is original and not rusty other than one outrigger and the bottom of the bulkhead. Quite miraculous. Previous owner just started to restore but barely did anything (thank goodness) other than cut the rear bodywork to fit larger rear lights (ugh but repairable). I have a 1997 two-door ex-military 110 Defender and grew up learning to drive on a Series back in the early 1970s so thrilled to have this project car.  I will restore it using all the original parts and leaving the patina of age other than the paintwork.
1 Thank you.

Offline VRO Moderator

• LRSOC Member
  • You can never have too many Land Rovers
Re: Introduction
Reply #1 - Dec 01, 2021 - 08:23
Welcome to the club, the forum and Series 1 ownership. Looks like a nice project with much originality and not in bad condition at all. Enjoy you project, keep the pics coming and update us here on your progress. Feel free to search the forum for answers to questions or ask away

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline dennington88"

• LRSOC Member
  • Back to 2 Land Rovers again & 2 bikes, what next.
Reply #2 - Dec 01, 2021 - 11:00
Welcome to the club Rupert, that is a lovely 88" you have found there, please keep the pictures coming.

Regards
Kevin

Offline Duncan

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Dec 01, 2021 - 13:50
What a great find Rupert , really nice

Offline RupertD

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Dec 01, 2021 - 23:52
Thank you all start of a long journey. But Iíve been there with my Defender which (other than the colour) Iím very pleased with. But itís very nice to be back in the period I learnt to drive (early Ď70s age 14 onwards) on our farm and remember the pre-electronic era!

Offline Toddie

• LRSOC Member
  • 1951, 1953 & 1975 LRís - couldnít be happier!
Reply #5 - Dec 02, 2021 - 19:47
Welcome to the club - amazing vehicles & a great community that are very supportive for newbies like me. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using LRSOC

Offline pintoosc

• Non-Member
Reply #6 - Mar 11, 2022 - 12:37
Very nice!

Offline havens51

• LRSOC Member
Reply #7 - Mar 24, 2022 - 19:34
Thats a great find.  All the best.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal