Greetings from East Yorkshire

Offline Martin58

• Non-Member
- Dec 28, 2020 - 21:01
Hello Everyone!

It's a privilege to be able to join this forum, thank you for the warm welcome.

I'd like to introduce my grandad's 1958 Series 1 Land Rover. My grandad, Martin, has owned the vehicle since 1986, it had just been restored by a local 'collector' at the time he bought it.

It's mine and Martin's goal to get it returned to the road in 2021. I'm helping him with the technical side of things. The first step will (hopefully) be reuniting the original registration with the car. Fortunately Martin did a good job keeping hold of all the paperwork, including the originally issued registration book.

I've been told there is some very knowledgeable experts within the club who might kindly help us with this task. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
1 Thank you.

Offline Old Hywel

• Non-Member
Re: Greetings from East Yorkshire
Reply #1 - Dec 28, 2020 - 22:34
Looks excellent. I see the Diesel badge, what engine?

If the paperwork is present, it should be straightforward. Get the Club Registrations Officer involved before approaching DVLA.

Offline Johnners733

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Dec 28, 2020 - 23:34
Hiya Martin

To follow up on my posts on the LRSOC FB page Iíd seek the help of Michael Burn (ĎMilkmaní on here) but the presence of the buff logbook sounds like good news.

There are a number of distinguished S1 enthusiasts in East Yorkshire including Ben Stowe at Black Paw 4x4 (Holme on Spalding Moor) and others. Iím located on the West side of York.

Good luck with the car and the re-reg!

Regards

Offline Martin58

• Non-Member
Reply #3 - Dec 29, 2020 - 09:13
Thanks guys

Iím still learning a lot about these Series 1. All the information Iíve learned so far is off my grandfather, Martin, who owns this vehicle.

This model is a diesel. From what he told me Iím sure itís an 86Ē. He said heís been told itís quite a rare combination. Can anyone clarify further?

Thanks again for the info (Johnners733). I  took the advice of the members on the FB page and subscribed to the owners club. Iím not very familiar with the workings of the website so Iím not sure where to go from here. Do you perhaps have contact details for Michael Burn?

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Reply #4 - Dec 29, 2020 - 09:17
If it was a diesel originally then it must be an 88, they stretched the wheelbase to accomodate the diesel engine.
Looking at the nearside wing in the photo it looks like an 88 and it wears the land rover diesel engine on the grill.
Peter

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Reply #5 - Dec 29, 2020 - 09:50
I second what Peter wrote.
There was never a 86 diesel produced by rover.
The front spring hangers look 88 too. They moved to the front opposed to 86. On the 88 the bumper bolts are interfering with the spring hanger.

Can we have pictures of the engine please and maybe the engine number? I wonder if it is the original engine, the car seems to be looked well after.
Good luck with this nice truck.

Sebastian

Offline Johnners733

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - Dec 29, 2020 - 19:59
Thanks guys

Iím still learning a lot about these Series 1. All the information Iíve learned so far is off my grandfather, Martin, who owns this vehicle.

This model is a diesel. From what he told me Iím sure itís an 86Ē. He said heís been told itís quite a rare combination. Can anyone clarify further?

Thanks again for the info (Johnners733). I  took the advice of the members on the FB page and subscribed to the owners club. Iím not very familiar with the workings of the website so Iím not sure where to go from here. Do you perhaps have contact details for Michael Burn?

Michael is known as ĎMilkmaní on here if you want to look him up and message him direct. Heíll get back to you

Cheers

Offline Martin58

• Non-Member
Reply #7 - Dec 30, 2020 - 13:14

Michael is known as ĎMilkmaní on here if you want to look him up and message him direct. Heíll get back to you

Cheers

Thanks again Johnners, Iíve messaged his account early yesterday but not had any reply as of yet. Do you perhaps know of any other contact details that would allow me to get in touch with him?

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Reply #8 - Dec 30, 2020 - 13:26
He has been on Facebook recently.
He works shifts so sometimes it can be difficult getting hold of him.
You have to have a bit pof patience when when contacting club officials, the are volunteers and have all sorts of other things going on in their lives.
Peter

Offline tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #9 - Dec 30, 2020 - 19:12
Michael, That looks a good straight Landrover, nice front  bumper. The good thing about getting it registered, is the number will always remain with the vehicle. I found this out when I registered DPV 667 in 1997, I then only had the buff log book.

Offline TomC

Reply #10 - Dec 30, 2020 - 19:50
Are you sure it isn't registered anyway? If your grandad acquired it in 1986 as a registered vehicle then there is no reason why it should have ceased to be registered since that date. Do you have a chassis number or registration number that people could help you to check?

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Reply #11 - Dec 31, 2020 - 12:04
Mick Burn email  is registrations@lrsoc.com 

Offline Landie Les Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Jan 01, 2021 - 17:25

Thanks again Johnners, Iíve messaged his account early yesterday but not had any reply as of yet. Do you perhaps know of any other contact details that would allow me to get in touch with him?

It is the Christmas/New year holidays and he does this all voluntary. Patience is a virtue.

4 Thanks.

Offline tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

Reply #13 - Jan 01, 2021 - 18:48
I would of thought Martins priority was to become a club member.
1 Thank you.

Offline Martin58

• Non-Member
Reply #14 - Jan 02, 2021 - 10:00
I would of thought Martins priority was to become a club member.
Martin is already a club member. I subscribed for him, however i can see that it does say Iím a non-member on these forum posts. Iím not quite sure why.

Offline Martin58

• Non-Member
Reply #15 - Jan 02, 2021 - 10:03
I stopped by to take some pictures as requested by some other members on the group. Martin says heís likely mistaken the 88Ē for 86Ē

Hereís some images:
2 Thanks.

Offline joetwist

• LRSOC Member
Reply #16 - Jan 02, 2021 - 10:20
Martin, that looks to be in great condition, if the engine has not been run for a number of years it may be prudent to drain off the old diesel in the system and fit a new filter before trying to start. A rebuild on the injector pump costs around 400 if it gets blocked and injectors are around 40 quid a pop to refurbish!

Sent from my SM-T715Y using LRSOC mobile app

Offline simonppowell

• LRSOC Member
  • 57103514 86 inch
Reply #17 - Jan 20, 2021 - 02:56
I stopped by to take some pictures as requested by some other members on the group. Martin says heís likely mistaken the 88Ē for 86Ē

It certainly looks very much like an 86 inch  Series 1 - did you get a Chassis number yet ?
57103514  86 inch

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Reply #18 - Jan 20, 2021 - 05:23
It certainly looks very much like an 86 inch  Series 1 - did you get a Chassis number yet ?
No, the front wings are definitely 88Ē . The bolt on the lower edge behind the wheel is not in the corner of the wheel arc but little to the rear and the inner wing has the space for the second battery used by a washer bottle.
Most likely there is the second battery holder fitted to the chassis indicating it always was a diesel.

Sebastian

Offline autorover1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1955 SW , 2005 D3 G6TVC
Reply #19 - Jan 20, 2021 - 10:30
The front spring hangers relative to the bumper look like 88" to me  & the horn is on the bonnet too.

Offline Sir-Bastian

• LRSOC Member
  • 1958 109 2L Diesel CKD
Reply #20 - Jan 20, 2021 - 10:56
And there is a cable clip on the radiator panel for the wire connecting the two 6v batteries for the diesel setup

Sebastian

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal