A second life+

Online tankman Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
A second life+
- Jun 02, 2016 - 20:48
  As you can see the grille in picture one is in a sorry state.  I am hoping to have it finished for the Malvern Show at the weekend, and display it on the club stand. At the moment it is half way there. Hoping I have time tomorrow to get it finished. This is not a sales advert  the grille will not be for sale

Offline roversrussell

• LRSOC Member
Re: A second life+
Reply #1 - Jun 02, 2016 - 21:18
hi bob 1 have 4 of grills if i send them over can you repair for me jim ps they are screaming out for those in oz
Jim Pearl : Many Series One parts For Sale

Reply #2 - Jun 02, 2016 - 21:47
Jim ,  I know you are flush, but it would be more expensive to repair original grilles than make new ones.

Offline tomrose

• Non-Member
  • 51 80", 48 80", 99 90"
Reply #3 - Jun 02, 2016 - 22:01
If that's the case I'll happily purchase a damaged one off of someone
Cheers To.

Reply #4 - Jun 02, 2016 - 22:51
Tom,  If you repair a grille, your time is free, my time is not.

Offline 715GC Trade Advertiser

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Jun 02, 2016 - 23:49
Bob, I thought this thread was about you asking for a second life!! I thought there is still plenty of life life in you yet!!!
Restorer of early land rovers,

Cant read and write!

Offline Johnners733

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - Jun 03, 2016 - 00:10
Bob, I thought this thread was about you asking for a second life!! I thought there is still plenty of life life in you yet!!!
There's obviously life in the old grille yet!

(Sorry)
1 Thank you.

Offline dkenner

• LR Register Member
    • Land-Rover FAQ
Reply #7 - Jun 03, 2016 - 00:42
I am curious. Not for a complete tangent off to a philosophical discussion, but Land-Rover issues a full grille. The lighting was clearly inadequate and by 1951 corrected the situation. However, before the new and improved grill was ready, various people took measures into their own hands to try and improve the nighttime lighting situation. Is there an obligation today to replace that grille with a 201x issue one over the 1950 one that was "modified"? 

While it would be nice to have a full grille for my 1950, I postulate that the one with the grille cut away for better lighting in 1950 is perfectly serviceable and acceptable.

Sent from my iDevice in Canada using LRSOC
--------
1950 '51, '51. '52, '76 101FC
http://www.lrfaq.org  http://www.nasor.org

Reply #8 - Jun 03, 2016 - 06:51
I was told recently that people cut the grille out to clean the headlights.

Offline linesrg

• LRSOC Member
    • Courtiestown Marine Limited
Reply #9 - Jun 03, 2016 - 09:25
Dixon,

I imagine a great many grilles were cut by frustrated owners to clean the headlamps. My 1950 welder came with a cut grille and will retain this feature.

It is similar to the feature where many 80"'s had a hole cut in the wing to allow an upright exhaust to be fitted.

In relatively modern parlance it was a design ****-up after all and why Land-Rover, after some time, modified things.

Whilst on the subject many people complain about poor lighting with the original lights but if you have untarnished reflectors they are more than suitable for a vehicle with a top speed of 50mph.

Regards

Richard

Offline TomC

Reply #10 - Jun 03, 2016 - 10:31

I imagine a great many grilles were cut by frustrated owners to clean the headlamps. My 1950 welder came with a cut grille and will retain this feature.

It is similar to the feature where many 80"'s had a hole cut in the wing to allow an upright exhaust to be fitted.

I agree with Richard (and I'm sure lots of others) and my conclusion was that I would keep the cut grille.  Having made the decision I sleep better at night.  :angel:

However I would disagree with Richard that there is any similarity with exhaust holes cut in wings.   :tic: :tic:   I fortunately have never had to make the decision, but they wouldn't be on my 'to keep' list.

Reply #11 - Jun 03, 2016 - 10:58
Tom, It seems unbelievable that the grille under repair was driven about in that condition. I am sure it would not pass a MOT. I realize it is part of the vehicles history, at the end of the day it is up to the owner.

Offline TomC

Reply #12 - Jun 03, 2016 - 11:27

Tom, It seems unbelievable that the grille under repair was driven about in that condition. I am sure it would not pass a MOT. I realize it is part of the vehicles history, at the end of the day it is up to the owner.

Mine has been quite neatly done with a wire welded around to hold it together - sort of like the later lights through, but a smaller hole and 27 holes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal