A gold mine

Offline garrycol

• Non-Member
  • Canberra, AUSTRALIA
Re: A gold mine
Reply #25 - Feb 10, 2016 - 11:57
Maintaining original patina/history or ''restoring to ''rivet-perfect'' - does it matter?
It's Mark's Land Rover and good luck to him - it looks fantastic, by the way!

Not really but you can do that with any old series 1 - not something special.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #26 - Feb 10, 2016 - 15:01
Making great progress with the Landie.  Now that we have been able to clean up the old paintwork it is coming up beautifully. The paint in the engine bay, on the bulkhead and in many areas of the cabin is the Landrover red, elsewhere it is the now famous (on this thread) reddy/orange colour.  Below is a pic of the cleaned original Landrover red from the engine bay.  Looks great.
A final comment from me on the colour debate.  As I mentioned in my early posts we are converting the Landie to being a soft top as we will be using it a lot.  We are going to store all the rest of the components so that it could be restored back to a truck cab quickly and easily in the future.  There was a non standard tailgate that did not open.  We are replacing this with a working one, but will be keeping this piece as is - i.e. the mine reddy/orange.  Thus a record of that colour will be preserved so a future owner would have the option to convert back if they so chose.
We have found the outline of a logo/crest/insignia on the doors which we are trying to identify.  Have drawn round this to show outline.  Any thoughts, probably from any Australian users.
I also attach a couple of snaps from earlier in the week when we took truck cab off so we could do a thorough check, service and refresh.  The more we have uncovered the more solid and tight the car is which is exciting. 
Struggling to upload pics so will follow on next post.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #27 - Feb 10, 2016 - 15:04
Pics attached to accompany last post

1. Cleaned engine bulkhead showing the lovely original landcover colour coming through
2. Crest outline on door, probably the local fire service/mine company logo - research on going
3. & 4. Pictures from the workshop earlier this week as we stripped her back for the service/exploration etc etc.

1 Thank you.

Offline Geoff and Vanessa

• LRSOC Member
Reply #28 - Feb 10, 2016 - 15:36

Nice workshop to do the work in, interesting vehicle too  :tiphat:

Offline Neil-S1

• LRSOC Member
  • 1956 Series 1
Reply #29 - Feb 10, 2016 - 15:38
Looks lovely - enjoy it!

Still has its original single hole, steel grill panel in great condition - so many of these rust and get replaced with the aluminium version.

Offline PLN

• LRSOC Member
Reply #30 - Feb 10, 2016 - 16:13
Nice workshop to do the work in, interesting vehicle too  :tiphat:

Sure as I bet it is Dunsfold Land Rover in Surrey!

Offline Redbeacon

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #31 - Feb 10, 2016 - 20:25
Maintaining original patina/history....does it matter?
It's Mark's Land Rover and good luck to him - it looks fantastic, by the way!

Not referring to this vehicle, but it might matter if an owner does irreversible damage to something that is unique, might it not?

I always use the analogy of someone who owns an exquisite and rare "Chippendale" chair.

They cut the legs off it so their child can sit on it more easily, rather than buy a cheap child-friendly chair.

Well, it was their chair....... :banghead:

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
Reply #32 - Feb 10, 2016 - 20:57
My 88 was red from the factory too, it got sun burned and faded in California and got painted Cali orange in the 70s. This has got sun burned and faded too..... It is absolutely totally rust-free and only had one owner before me. It would be worth so much more painted and probably worth the same as a row of houses in the north of England if I painted it deep bronze green (going by diesel series one asking prices this week), but I get a great deal of pleasure upsetting people with its lovely non-original orangey-ness.
5 Thanks.

Offline shropshire lad

• LRSOC Member
Reply #33 - Feb 10, 2016 - 21:24
My 88 was red from the factory too, it got sun burned and faded in California and got painted Cali orange in the 70s. This has got sun burned and faded too..... It is absolutely totally rust-free and only had one owner before me. It would be worth so much more painted and probably worth the same as a row of houses in the north of England if I painted it deep bronze green (going by diesel series one asking prices this week), but I get a great deal of pleasure upsetting people with its lovely non-original orangey-ness.

Sorry , Old Bean , but that doesn't upset me in the least . However , I must admit that I do prefer  the new "in" colour of Curious Reddy Orange .
1 Thank you.

Offline Monkeypin

• LRSOC Member
Reply #34 - Feb 10, 2016 - 21:44

Paint the roof brown and call it Jaffa!  :tic:
1 Thank you.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #35 - Feb 10, 2016 - 21:50
OMG - colour is the new big thing and red the new bronze green :tic:

Offline DJM55

• Non-Member
Reply #36 - Feb 10, 2016 - 22:32
Either way left as is (patina) or full re-spray it will be a nice little vehicle, just keep it off the salty winter roads as you people have to put up with every year cheers Dennis

Offline Digger

• Non-Member
  • "No matter where you go, there you are!"
Reply #37 - Feb 12, 2016 - 00:13
Pics attached to accompany last post

1. Cleaned engine bulkhead showing the lovely original landcover colour coming through
2. Crest outline on door, probably the local fire service/mine company logo - research on going
3. & 4. Pictures from the workshop earlier this week as we stripped her back for the service/exploration etc etc.

Maybe this crest?  Being it appears to have a crown I doubt its the gold companyl

https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au

[/img]

Offline 123rover50

• LR Register Member
Reply #38 - Feb 12, 2016 - 21:53

Maybe this crest?  Being it appears to have a crown I doubt its the gold companyl

https://www.qfes.qld.gov.au

I cant open that one Digger.
Is it the same as this?

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #39 - Feb 12, 2016 - 21:54
Yes I spotted that, there is no doubt there is the outline of a crown and that Queensland crest fits.  That does confuse me.  If you see this pic, you will see two different colours - the door is traditional land rover fire tender red, the rest of the car is the now famous orangey red (of the gold mine).  I am beginning to think the vehicle had a dual life on the mine and in the fire service or perhaps they are one and the same this.  What we know is that it was not road registered during its life, it was bought by the person I bought it from, when the mine closed c1982, we have determined from Landrover records that it was sold in a batch of three fire tenders to Annand & Thompson their main dealer in Brisbane/Queensland in 1957.  We are pretty sure that this sale was to the Queensland Fire Service.  My theory is that it was ordered by the QFS to be used in the vicinity of the mine.  It was delivered to the mine with QFS decals.  It sat rather unloved and unused for years and, it was at some point decommissioned as a fire pump (i.e. the pump removed) and was then repainted in mine colours and decals removed.  It then passed its final years on the mine as a working truck cab Landie.  Poor thing didn't do much given its low mileage.
I am flying to Oz this weekend and have a few calls to make and people to speak to in QLD and I may discover more.  When I am there I will also be trying to find the crest you have identified and I had also tracked down that I can get a very high quality image of to reproduce some decals. 
I guess it is the inevitable lot of a commercial Landie that has not had a dotting private owner that people have only vague memories and recollections of the vehicle as there is not that day-in day-out personal bond you get when it is your own personal car.  The stories the old Landies could tell....

Offline 862993

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #40 - Feb 14, 2016 - 22:00
Hi Mark, great find! Here's a few press pictures from 1955 of an Annand and Thompson Fire Engine. A & T used to sign write the front guards and tailgates of their vehicles. This practice (guards anyway) extended into Series 2 vehicles. You may find your vehicle has this under the mines respray. They are fairly low res unfortunately.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #41 - Feb 15, 2016 - 10:51
A useful bit of trivia learnt on my visit down under, where aside from normal work I have been researching the early history of this land rover.

I have been a little confused by the fact that the Landie had no registration number and there was no record of it being registered on the road at any point in Oz.  On discussing this with a Series 1 owner in Queensland this afternoon, he informed me that it is only comparatively recently that emergency vehicles in Queensland have been obliged to be registered on the road and display a number plate.  In the 50s-80s they were not registered for the road as a policy.

That clarifies one of the mysteries: A QLD Fire Service crest outline on the door, which I had assumed required road registration.  The export docs (from Rover in 1957) and onwards from the local dealer are correct.  The Land rover could legitimately be driven inside the state with no number plates.

The odd little things one learns in putting together a Landie's history.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
NOT from a gold mine
Reply #42 - Feb 16, 2016 - 06:22
OK team, so I got it wrong.  Am down in Oz on business and using down time between meetings to research the history and I have made a break through today which will put the contentious colour issue firmly to bed!

Having spoken to the vendor and the QLD Fire Service earlier today, I have established the vehicle was decommissioned from the Queensland Fire Service in 2000.  It was sold to the guy I bought it off, by the Public Trustee office in QLD 2001. Quite why he did not tell me this earlier I do not know! The Public Trustee office is the government agency in each state tasked with the disposal of public assets (among other things).  They are legally obliged to decommission any emergency vehicles so they can not be driven around, by Joe Public, masquerading as real emergency vehicles.  Hence in the run up to the sale, the vehicle was repainted, fairly rudimentarily and had its decals removed.  This explains the curiosity of having the outline of the decal on two slight differently coloured doors.  I have a friendly gentleman in the PT office digging through his archive as I write for more info and on the v slim chance that any of the pump etc still lurks somewhere in a corner of a warehouse!

So, the Landie, had an exceedingly dull life, driving 2,117 miles in its 43 years in the fire service.  It was never owned by a gold mine, shame.  Sadly this means that the intense and heated debate about colour that took place last week, was a little bit of red herring as the red was merely a job lot that the decommissioning team had to hand!  On the plus side the vehicle now has a clear, traceable and logical history dating back to its departure from the UK.

I would add that I have only encountered fascination and huge amounts of goodwill from all parties here in Australia when I mention what I am trying to trace the vehicle's history as part of its restoration.

I wonder whether any other ex-public sourced Land Rovers from Australia have encountered this with resultant confusion?

Offline daleradford Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • bodgers beware
Reply #43 - Mar 26, 2016 - 16:50

Anymore photos of this great land rover ?
Need more restoration projects on the forum ! and this is a special interest, being a owner of a fire tender myself.

Dale

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #44 - Mar 26, 2016 - 17:02
Soon, am hoping to have some pics next week. 
We have been waiting for all the bits to arrive (new hood etc) and for her slot at the paint shop.  Should be back from Jim the Paint next week and then Phil's team will be bolting her back together.  We found that the spare tyre was an original fitted in 1957 and was never used.  Am keeping it as a memorabilia, have invested after checking with the wife for permission, in a new set of Avons 700 x 16s so she should be great to drive and look the part. 
I have a sign writer booked in mid April to work his magic.  We will be restoring the old Annand & Thompson Land-Rover logo on the tailgate that she would have had when delivered to the customer and also adding back the Queensland Fire Service crest that was removed when she was decommissioned. 
Plan to bring her to the South Down rally all being well.
The mechanicals are all immaculate and Phil has been pretty astonished how tight and "as new" they are despite her age. 
It has been a long time, but she has been slumbering from nearly 60 years and waking her up needs some care.
1 Thank you.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #45 - Mar 30, 2016 - 20:31
She's back from the painters, albeit with a slave set of wheels whilst her own set have the new tyres peeled on!  Looking nice and red and ready to be bolted bad together.  Doors etc back in next few days. More pics tomorrow as we start to reassemble.

1 Thank you.

Online james diehl

• LRSOC Member
Reply #46 - Mar 30, 2016 - 20:39
Wow,looks really nice,are you still getting the doors sign written?

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #47 - Mar 30, 2016 - 20:42
yes, that's the plan.  Will be reproducing the Queensland Fire Service crest and adding in some other period details such as the Annand & Thompson Land-Rover logo used on all imported Landies of the time and the name of the outback town she was stationed in for her working life.

Offline lianndrover

• LRSOC Member
Reply #48 - Mar 30, 2016 - 22:03
Love the red, there's too many green Landys already!

Mark

Sent from my D2403 using LRSOC mobile app

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #49 - Apr 04, 2016 - 16:21
Just arrived!  Guess what's coming this weekend... just hope the last week hasn't been all our summer...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal