A gold mine

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
A gold mine
- Feb 08, 2016 - 23:21
After looking for 9 months in Oz for a good condition series 1, I managed to track down our Series 1.  She spent a month in a container on her way back to the UK and is now tucked away at one of the leading restorers for a sensitive refresh and service.

She was the mine fire tender for a Queensland gold mine until the mine closed in 1981, hence the unusual red/orange colour.  She then sat unused until I purchased her in December from a guy who had picked up a bundle of redundant vehicles.  I do not think he knew quite what he had.

The amazing thing is that she has done just 2,127 miles.  I could not believe it but the restorers have given it a thorough check and confirmed that this is the correct mileage.  It was a risk buying unseen, but appears to have been worth it.  We stuck a battery in it today and it started first time, not bad for 30 years of not being used.  We have some of the fire tender gear, but the pump etc has been lost in the mist of time.

Watch this space and will post some more pics.
1 Thank you.

Offline colin fox

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Re: A gold mine
Reply #1 - Feb 08, 2016 - 23:24
That is a cracker!!

Offline gardenome

• Non-Member
Reply #2 - Feb 09, 2016 - 02:36
Is he selling more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jkhackney

• Non-Member
  • October 55 86", late 2A Dormobile
Reply #3 - Feb 09, 2016 - 07:26
Beautiful! With 2000 miles I guess they didn't have many fires in the gold mine, or else it was a very small mine!

One finds time-capsule Series 2's in Switzerland like this but I've not run across an S1.

Jeremy

(However the engine may have been run stationary for many more hours than the mileage indicates; this was the case with my fire department 2.6L. You just hope they changed the oil frequently!)

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #4 - Feb 09, 2016 - 08:19
sadly this was all he had, I think there was probably just one fire tender at the mine which as has been said was not used much!

Offline jhoulston

• Non-Member
Reply #5 - Feb 09, 2016 - 09:00
You may be interested in this then to add to it.

Offline Leon

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - Feb 09, 2016 - 11:05
Hello Mark, nice machine. What is the chassis number, and what fire gear came with it. I see that the PTO over-driver box is also missing.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #7 - Feb 09, 2016 - 11:16

I have the frame that sits in the truck bed but no pump.  My plan is to keep all of this in store and the truck cab itself, but to convert it to a soft top as it is far more useable with family etc.  Thus if anyone the future wants to convert back to fire tender they can with the original gear, but lets face it, a fire tender is not exactly the most practical of motors unless of course one is pyro maniac.  Phil and the team at Dunsfold DLR are advising me.

Offline Leon

• LRSOC Member
Reply #8 - Feb 09, 2016 - 11:40
Opps, its a 1957 so would not have the PTO overdrive box. 
2000 miles!!! Wow, it must drive like new. Mine has travelled 12000 miles and still feel tight to drive.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #9 - Feb 09, 2016 - 11:46
Yes, there is no play whatsoever in the pedals.  We are very excited about getting her out on the road.  She is currently having all the wiring, rubber bushes and trim redone, a thorough service, a respray as she was looking very tired and lots of other service and sensitive restore done.  Should be finished in about 4 weeks. 

Is yours a fire tender and does it have all the gear still operational?

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #10 - Feb 09, 2016 - 11:56
Blimey, I have just seen your gallery, how many of those Fire Tenders are yours, I have never seen so many - v impressive! 

Offline Old green snail

• Non-Member
  • I ask for eagles, you bring me flies.
Reply #11 - Feb 09, 2016 - 11:57
Wow, what a great find, Some might say you are a jammy so and so! But not me, well done and keep updating as you go. 👍🏻

Offline shropshire lad

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Feb 09, 2016 - 14:34
Yes, there is no play whatsoever in the pedals.  We are very excited about getting her out on the road.  She is currently having all the wiring, rubber bushes and trim redone, a thorough service, a respray as she was looking very tired and lots of other service and sensitive restore done.  Should be finished in about 4 weeks. 

Is yours a fire tender and does it have all the gear still operational?

A loverly looking fire truck , but a re spray ? From what I can see in the photos that is just about the last thing she needs . More photos needed to prove me wrong .

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #13 - Feb 09, 2016 - 14:55
Good point Shropshire Lad, we looked very carefully at it.  The Landie was painted at least once if not twice on the mine in slight different hues of orangey red - whatever paint they had to hand.  The engine bay and parts of the interior and underneath are still the original Fire Engine Red ex-factory.  When you add in 60 years of life in a gold mine and Aussie heat and it has quite a kaleidoscope of red at present and it is peeling in places. 

I am most definitely not for wiping out its heritage, but a paint job, to its original colour, was critical.  Will post pics when it is done.

Offline die zijn onderweg

• LRSOC Member
Reply #14 - Feb 09, 2016 - 15:12
Woh great and great color!
regards Martijn

Offline colin fox

Reply #15 - Feb 09, 2016 - 19:01
Maybe it's not for me, or indeed anyone else to say, but a respray and re-trim will make it much more affordable to the buyer should it ever be sold again?

Offline Redbeacon

Reply #16 - Feb 09, 2016 - 20:07
A respray will make it look very smart.  Just like all the other re-sprayed Series Ones.

But it will have lost its unique character, which will never come back.

If you re-spray and regret it, you cannot turn the clock back.

If you leave it as-is and regret it, you can then have it re-sprayed.

Is there a reason to get it painted quickly?

It is of course your vehicle, your decision.

1 Thank you.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #17 - Feb 09, 2016 - 20:58
this is going to be a family car, we have had a vote amongst my wife and children and poppy red, fire engine colour, is what we are going for.  That is what she left Solihull in April 1957.  Yes a mine manager painted her a curious reddy orange, which is interesting but it is pretty scruffy now.  We plan to keep her for a long time (we have a convertible morris minor that we have owner for 15 years) so we want to get her gorgeous for the long term!

Offline james diehl

• LRSOC Member
Reply #18 - Feb 09, 2016 - 21:13
The only arguement for not repainting is on an original paint vehicle,this has been painted,a sympathetic repaint can do no harm

Offline daleradford Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • bodgers beware
Reply #19 - Feb 09, 2016 - 22:49
As been said, it's Not in it's original paint, Its your land rover do what you want with it and use IT !! This is going to be part of the land rovers new history !
Not to long ago owners were throwing good panels away to fit new ones and painting them better than they would ever come out of the factory and win all the silverware ( I was not bitter with my original land rover! )
Everyone will be complaining of lines of rough looking land rovers at shows as found under a hedge, not running but pointing at the flat Dunlop tyres saying 'I will not touch it because this is how it was '

That's my rant over for today. Dale
2 Thanks.

Offline markblythe

• Non-Member
Reply #20 - Feb 09, 2016 - 23:22
Love it Dale[size=78%]. Yes it will be used, we will not be sentencing it to another 60 years of in action. Green lanes and village greens await and the occasional trip to the Western Isles.[/size]

Offline NZ.ColinB

• Non-Member
Reply #21 - Feb 09, 2016 - 23:48
I completely agree with Dale on this, I started work on my 1955 107 in my spare time four years ago and hope to have her finished late this year. But the number of times I have been put off by comments about the wrong bolts, the wrong paint in the wrong places with too much shine, patina etc.  "Chugga" is mine and she's given me loads of pleasure rebuilding her My WAY ! 
1 Thank you.

Offline shropshire lad

• LRSOC Member
Reply #22 - Feb 10, 2016 - 00:04
As been said, it's Not in it's original paint, Its your land rover do what you want with it and use IT !! This is going to be part of the land rovers new history !
Not to long ago owners were throwing good panels away to fit new ones and painting them better than they would ever come out of the factory and win all the silverware ( I was not bitter with my original land rover! )
Everyone will be complaining of lines of rough looking land rovers at shows as found under a hedge, not running but pointing at the flat Dunlop tyres saying 'I will not touch it because this is how it was '

That's my rant over for today. Dale

As the poster says :

KEEP
                                CALM
                                 AND
                                KEEP
                              TAKING
                                YOUR
                                MEDS.   

You're right it is theirs to do what they want with , it just that looking at the three pictures available the paintwork doesn't look that bad , just not the right shade of red .

Me , I like the colour Curious Reddy Orange . Is there a code for it ?

Offline garrycol

• Non-Member
  • Canberra, AUSTRALIA
Reply #23 - Feb 10, 2016 - 02:22
This is a genuine ex Aussie fire vehicle - as such it should be repainted the bush Aussie fire engine red (the orange red) not the Brit Fire engine red.

It was never a Brit fire vehicle and if you paint it the UK colour you have just destroyed an important part of this vehicles history and the bit that makes it unique.

Garry

Offline vince carr

• LRSOC Member
Reply #24 - Feb 10, 2016 - 10:12

Maintaining original patina/history or ''restoring to ''rivet-perfect'' - does it matter?
It's Mark's Land Rover and good luck to him - it looks fantastic, by the way!
Land Rovers are Land Rovers and here to enjoy. I drive mine most days of the week. It has evolved slightly with time; with it's Series 2 engine and electric windscreen washers but it's gives me great fun and also a bit of frustration from time to time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal