Careless come-uppance ?

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Careless come-uppance ?
- Nov 28, 2015 - 12:49
This morning on the way to get the weekend newspaper the 107SW hit a bump and promptly stopped dead. This was strange as it had run so well back through appalling floods and winds from Dundee a couple of weeks ago.

It was just as if the ignition switch had turned off...but the ignition lights had come back on...the switch still turned them on and off ...starter operated...but no go....the rest of the thing was electrically as dead as a Dodo.

Then I remembered how enthusiastic I had been along the bulkhead front with my paintbrush and waxoil  over the past week. So I had a quick check. When I touched one wire. there was a spark.  The brush must have knocked the LT wire on the coil: old solder around the ring terminal on the wire must have fractured.

A clothes peg did not work to hold the ends together :shakinghead: , but a small crocodile clip, on a wandering lamp I have, worked well.  Problem solved. Now to get out into the wet and cold to clean off and refit the ring end  terminal.

Clumsy clumsy.. ( the thing  would never rust with all the refreshed waxoil around there ..but to get such a result  :confused: :lipsrsealed: :smiley: ).

Online fulltilt

• Non-Member
  • 92 KA 58
Re: Careless come-uppance ?
Reply #1 - Nov 28, 2015 - 14:11
So  , if your were unable to DIY ,  how long would recovery have taken for the northern representative    :undecided:

What book(s) do you carry  :undecided:    emergency food   :undecided:    warm clothing   :undecided:   combustible material for heating   :undecided:     :undecided:    type of shovel(s)     :undecided:      signal equipment for rescue helicopter above   ;D

:huh:

Offline hallii

• Non-Member
  • Worcestershire 1955 86"
Reply #2 - Nov 28, 2015 - 14:58
A very well qualified electronics engineer of my acquaintance  ( OK, he's my son) tells me that I shouldn't have soldered all my connectors when I did the rewire. He informed me that there is potential for the wire to break (in high vibration or flex environments) at the point where the solder has wicked up the wire.

I still like soldered joints though, and there is a chance he could be wrong.

Geoff
1 Thank you.
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/g/gb-merc.gif

The flag of the Kingdom of Mercia

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #3 - Nov 28, 2015 - 16:30
We all know how reliable electronics are when subjected to heat and vibration. :tic:
Eveliene 1953 Minerva.

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #4 - Nov 28, 2015 - 16:52
So  , if your were unable to DIY ,  how long would recovery have taken for the northern representative    :undecided:

What book(s) do you carry  :undecided:    emergency food   :undecided:    warm clothing   :undecided:   combustible material for heating   :undecided:     :undecided:    type of shovel(s)     :undecided:      signal equipment for rescue helicopter above   ;D

:huh:

The SW is loaded so I could  leave home at a moments notice and stay away for a day or two. There's enough stuff always in the lockers. All routine spares  and tool kit ...Sleeping bags, that fine club blanket from the Kelso do.  Also a petrol stove, lighter, kettle, dehydrated foods... " the cookbox works".
Veteran motoring hiccoughs   (as opposed to breakages ) are not an issue...although the free recovery included on my insurance is most likely to be valid only to the nearest garage or 10 miles whichever occurs first. This is a very unfair dodge that affects every motorist everywhere, but has been allowed to become a huge money spinner for recovery firms in the Highlands. Nowhere is within 10 miles... ever....  :lipsrsealed: .

Update ...The ring terminal is cleaned off and refastened...yes  it is well soldered again. (Not too many over enthusiastic flying paintbrushes in the offing.)  But this took a lot longer this afternoon  through a heavy thunderstorm...during which the ring terminal fell from the block of wood it was wedged in to disappear into a large flowing puddle on the the ground a couple of times. This  in the very instant before the solder "took" . 

As ever - a simple 5 minute repair job - but one where any reference to 'minutes' or 'hours' became somewhat interchangeable.  :tongue: :tic:

( Oh...a final comment...the LT lead must have been failing for some driving hours ..improvement to strength of spark thanks to this renewed connection is really noticeable now.)

Online fulltilt

• Non-Member
  • 92 KA 58
Reply #5 - Nov 28, 2015 - 16:54
the free recovery included on my insurance

Would that be the  NFU  basic    :undecided:

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - Nov 28, 2015 - 16:55
the free recovery included on my insurance

Would that be the  NFU  basic    :undecided:

Yes indeed !

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
    • www.classiccarvaluations.co.uk
Reply #7 - Nov 28, 2015 - 17:33
Fifty-seven you should know that the first thing to do is to set fire to the vehicle in order to attract attention and stay warm.
1 Thank you.

Offline hallii

• Non-Member
  • Worcestershire 1955 86"
Reply #8 - Nov 28, 2015 - 17:47

Warm yer hands on this!

Geoff
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/g/gb-merc.gif

The flag of the Kingdom of Mercia

Offline gertie Moderator

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Nov 28, 2015 - 18:52
That's were a good crimping tool comes in handy I bought a Facom one years ago worth it's weight in gold.
Not very good for hair crimping though.  :tic:
1 Thank you.
Eveliene 1953 Minerva.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal