.. Shipping advice please ...

Offline Geoff and Vanessa

• LRSOC Member
.. Shipping advice please ...
- Feb 16, 2014 - 09:19
 I need to send some Land Rover wheels and tyres to a gentleman in Derby.

Can anyone advise on the cheapest courier service please.

Offline Trubster

• LRSOC Member
Re: .. Shipping advice please ...
Reply #1 - Feb 16, 2014 - 10:09
You could try Parcelgiants.com    I am not sure on how their prices compare, but what I do know is that it is a relatively new company and probably keen to be competitive. If you do happen to use them, I would be interested to hear feedback as I have considered them a number of times, but then never needed to send the items. Good luck in your search.

• LRSOC Member
Reply #2 - Feb 16, 2014 - 10:25

Thank you Trubster I'll look into it.

For others interested in a similar move I have  duplicate posting over on the Series 2 Forum and  a reply there has come up with .....

http://www.paisleyfreight.com/alloy-wheel-courier.php

Offline philpjread

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #3 - Feb 16, 2014 - 10:36
There are web sites that allow companies to bid for work. you put in a description, weight etc and companies put forward a price. its amazing how low you can get transport for.
1949 80" x2, 1950 80" x2, 1952 80", 1954 Station Wagon,

Offline Fen Boy Paid AdvertiserModerator

• LRSOC Member
  • If it ain't broke... Fiddle with it until it IS !
Reply #4 - Feb 16, 2014 - 10:46
Heres a link to Parcel2go, another web based broker. Their site allows you enter your parcel weights and sizes ( packaged) to obtain a selection of quotes,from e.g... TnT, DHL, UPS, Parcelforce etc...  Some of these will collect from you hence you need to be 'in' when they collect,msome need the parcel dropping off at a designated drop off point / local shop. Depending on the value of your goods youll need to factor in additional insurance but their site / booking procedure is quite straight forward. I personally favour Parcelforce and bizarrly, booking via Parcel2go is always cheaper than using Royal Mail site for the same service !!??  Good luck.

http://www.parcel2go.com/?gclid=CLvxqsPQsLMCFSnJtAodejkAtw
Check Twice & Cut Once.......

Offline ebromwell

• Non-Member
Reply #5 - Feb 16, 2014 - 12:48
Another parcel agency is interparcel.com whose website allows to view quotes from a range of carriers TNT, Hermes etc. whilst  taking account of promptness of delivery, insuarnce cover etc.
You choose the carrier and service and pay interparcel they arrange the job.
 I have used them for several Land-Rover parts inward and outward, TNT  collected a screen and took a bumper, Hermes have picked and delivered a couple of smaller parcels.

• LRSOC Member
Reply #6 - Feb 16, 2014 - 13:51

Thanks for the assistance I should be able to get somewhere with this lot.

I'll update with my choice of quote in case anyone else can use the information.

Online daleradford Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • bodgers beware
Reply #7 - Feb 16, 2014 - 14:12
cheapest is not always best , especially if the person you are sending to is in a remote part of the country,if the parts are not too big then go for royal mail then you can guarantee that it will get there.
I have a lot of experience with couriers there are the good/ bad and downright terrible, avoid 'parcel to go' and 'hermes' these rely on part time delivery people the type that reply to ads on telegraph poles 'do you want to earn extra money from home'  I waited 3 months for 'hermes' to deliver here, when it finally came the woman said she did not want to come down the farm track because she might damage her car!! even though the royal mail van comes down nearly every day and in all weathers.   Dale

Offline dennington88"

• LRSOC Member
  • Back to 2 Land Rovers again & 2 bikes, what next.
Reply #8 - Feb 16, 2014 - 14:28
There are web sites that allow companies to bid for work. you put in a description, weight etc and companies put forward a price. its amazing how low you can get transport for.

I agree with Phillip, I used this service when wanting to get a series 1 picked up from Devon, got the quotes from various persons/companies and chose one. My service was brilliant to say the least, communication was first class so i knew  where my "delivery" was.

http://www.shiply.com/

Offline djfal

• Non-Member
Reply #9 - Feb 16, 2014 - 22:55
cheapest is not always best , especially if the person you are sending to is in a remote part of the country,if the parts are not too big then go for royal mail then you can guarantee that it will get there.
I have a lot of experience with couriers there are the good/ bad and downright terrible, avoid 'parcel to go' and 'hermes' these rely on part time delivery people the type that reply to ads on telegraph poles 'do you want to earn extra money from home'  I waited 3 months for 'hermes' to deliver here, when it finally came the woman said she did not want to come down the farm track because she might damage her car!! even though the royal mail van comes down nearly every day and in all weathers.   Dale

I must admit last time I had something delivered by parcel to go or similar it arrived in a very rusty old transit van with a magnetic sign on the side, and a dubious looking driver of the sort often collecting scrap metal!

Offline Rick O Shea Trade (legend Advertiser)Moderator

• Non-Member
  • If I knew more I would be very very dangerous
    • www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com
Reply #10 - Feb 17, 2014 - 08:18
I would echo Dales comments I use couriers a lot for the speedos.  I use parcel force or royal mail and have had very good experience.

However  in the past I have used others  for  machine parts and have had variable experience. Cheapness is not best.

Mike
Speedometers repaired    please go to
 http://www.magnetic-speedometer-repair.com/

Offline colin fox

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Reply #11 - Feb 17, 2014 - 10:09
I have sent a dozen or more Freelander 2 wheels and tyres via Direct Courier Services and have found them 100% reliable in both collection and delivery.
Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

Offline v8bobber

• LRSOC Member
Reply #12 - Feb 17, 2014 - 12:37
I've used interparcel a few times too and they have been good as gold

Dave

• LRSOC Member
Reply #13 - Mar 05, 2014 - 20:13

Update to give the thread some closure .... .................... I used this lot below in the end .................... service was good as was price at 42 to send six wheels and tyres from South Wales to Derby.

http://www.speedshift.co.uk/index.asp?refer=adwords

Thanks all for your help  :tiphat  Geoff

P.S  I had to supply the pallet and make secure, the driver had a pallet truck to load with and a hydraulic tail lift on the vehicle. All very easy !

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal