2.6 I.O.E conversion best of the rover I.O.E s?

Offline Angus Redman

• Non-Member
    • land rover cards
    Hi all,
I have finally removed an old M.G engine from my 80 with the intent to put a more suitable IOE engine in. I was planning on using a 1600 or 2Ltr but just down the road from me some is selling on eBay a 2.6 current fitted to an 80
So question as follows:
Does the 2.6 fit in a series 1 with out drastic alteration?
Is the 2.6 as good as the 2ltr & 1600?
Has any any experiences of a conversion?

All info and opinions welcome :-D

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
I would say the 2.6 in an 80 represents " overkill".

It is heavy, thirsty, and with the  available rev range will not improve either economy or top speed.

I am sure that some alteration to engine mounts and radiator position is required to shoehorn it into the space, but others will advise.

There was no doubt at all that the LWB series 2A with 6 cylinder engine was a very fine vehicle indeed. It needed its 16 gallon tank. But could hold its own against the trucks of the day on the German autobahns when towing 2.5 ton racing boat trailers . The engine note was awesome  :smiley:

But I would not put one in an 80" - a properly fettled 2 litre..  even a later spreadbore 2 ltr kept well in tune.... will do the job just as well. unless you propose high ratio diffs and  big tyres etc.

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
    • www.classiccarvaluations.co.uk
There are a few about and a lovely one was recently on here. It had been bought on ebay as a white ex-trialler a while back and then really nicely restored by its new owner.

I have always fancied one, but as 57 says, it is a big engine and heavy. It is easily too much for a narrow spring early 80 and a tight fit in any Series One engine bay due to length. The engine comes close to the front crossmember and most I have seen have had issues with the rad location.

If a period engine conversion is what you are after it's a talking point, and a reasonably powerful one. To be honest most 2.6 conversions were short-lived when V8s became readily available. A Rover V8 is only as long as a 4 cylinder and having alloy heads and block, much lighter than the 2.6.

In short, cool, but not ideal.

Offline ebromwell

• Non-Member
As you're in Somerset I suggest you give Ian Cox of Cox and Turner a ring.
He fitted a 2.6 IOE into a 107 Station Wagon and I believe he still has it. Although the 107 is a longer chassis the engine bay is much the same.
Their workshop is near Martock.

Offline fifty seven

• LRSOC Member
As you're in Somerset I suggest you give Ian Cox of Cox and Turner a ring.
He fitted a 2.6 IOE into a 107 Station Wagon

If I remember correctly he used a 2.6  sourced from a 1958 Rover 105 car. ... It sounded very happy indeed.   A lovely vehicle. His rebuild was all written up in three or four legends  around 1999 - 2000 I think.   The article about the engine was in Legend 102 on page 7

Offline ike

• LR Register Member
I've always thought the 221ci Ford flathead V8 (as fitted in '48 to '51 Pilots) would be a lovely period conversion for a Series 1.   A bit heavy and juicy of course but a modest 90hp probably wouldn't roger the driveline.
1 Thank you.

Offline mutley1954

• LRSOC Member
Rover V8 Mate, the only way to go!!Loads about, and very light, and a great proven engine.   A great tune too. 11
1955 S1 hardtop, A reg finished at last after 9 yrs,
  Also 110 defender Tdci, BMW Z3

Offline MYR 117

• Non-Member
Rover V8 all the way if originalitly not an issue, I went EFI for reliability but rangie diffs and big brakes help!! had to mod bulkhead a little and make fancy exhaust but you wont be disapointed, Never will drive like a Rngie though. have you considered slightly tweeked Rover 60? after all the hard work would definatly have been easier and just as fun i guess.....

Offline Andy80 Moderator

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
There are a few about and a lovely one was recently on here. It had been bought on ebay as a white ex-trialler a while back and then really nicely restored by its new owner.

Has anyone got any pictures of the one mentioned above?

As RTTB said it was nicely restored!

Offline rodthrutheblock Trade (Legend Advertiser)

• LRSOC Member
  • Juey restorer
    • www.classiccarvaluations.co.uk
have you considered slightly tweeked Rover 60? after all the hard work would definatly have been easier and just as fun i guess.....

I'm having a ball with mine.  :cool:

Offline molloy

• LRSOC Member
Surely the best conversion would be a rover built merlin, this also gets you in the 80" spit squadron, or the bomber squadrons for the others (86 mosquito's, Lwb Lancasters?)

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Surely the best conversion would be a rover built merlin, this also gets you in the 80" spit squadron, or the bomber squadrons for the others (86 mosquito's, Lwb Lancasters?)

Or our very own Forum Squadron see

Re: Supermarine Spitfire bits?

Offline Black Sheep

• Non-Member
  • 1952 ex NZ Army
The 2.6 engine sounds lovely - something about 6 ioe cylinders makes it purr. Regarding fuel economy, my 2.6 LWB series 3 was more economical than my 2 1/4 4 cyl LWB series 3 and of course faster and could pull a rather bigger trailer without effort. But as mentioned, a bit big and heavy for a series 1.   

Offline Angus Redman

• Non-Member
    • land rover cards
Thanks for all the feedback guys i will have to ponder this some more, Does any one have a good running 1997cc or 1600cc?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal