Chassis numbers

Offline Nick Abrams

• LRSOC Member
Chassis numbers
- Aug 18, 2022 - 19:39
I have had my 1956 88 inch for 27 years and the chassis is being restored. Have found a number on the spring hanger which is 24399 which is not the number of the vehicle registration. The vehicle spent the first eight years in the army. Is this an army replacement chassis number? Any information much appreciated.

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Re: Chassis numbers
Reply #1 - Aug 19, 2022 - 00:59
I have heard it said that some early 88s have their chassis number on the rear spring hanger, but  I have never seen it myself. I would expect your number to be on the inside of the front right chassis leg, sometimes stamped upside down. The number you quote does not sound like a chassis number. I would try another look.

Offline peterholden

• Non-Member
  • A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire
Reply #2 - Aug 19, 2022 - 07:03
Some military and Australian CKD series 2s have the chassis number stamped on the inside of the RHS rear spring hanger.  It is it possible that this is also the case with some S1s?

Peter

Offline diffwhine

• LRSOC Member
  • Should really have learned by now...
Reply #3 - Aug 19, 2022 - 16:31
I assume the OP was referring to a stamped number on the chassis leg? Is it the same size and font as a standard chassis number?

I know of an Australian CKD 86" which has it's chassis number on the top of the LH chassis rail roughly in line with the front chassis cross member. Never seen one there before, but it is correct and original.

Offline antarmike

• LRSOC Member
  • Minerva & Bantam Trailer / 101" & Sankey / 55 86"
Reply #4 - Aug 19, 2022 - 16:53
Am I right in believing a five digit number found on the chassis is actually the Build number? 

Other posts on this forum mention four or five digit numbers stamped on purely to track the vehicle through the factory,  with the chassis (in the form it appears on documentation, registration documents etc,) also stamped elsewhere .

This Line number / Build number was a stamp put on the chassis as it progressed along a production line, to identify a particular build.

The build number has no connection with the chassis number (I believe it is also known as a line number?)

In which case the number found has little practical significance because it is not a Chassis number (Car Number)

My gut feeling is this number should be ignored as basically irrelevant, and the real chassis number has yet yo be found in an "odd" location on the chassis.

Has the chassis been repaired?  Is there obvious signs that sections of the chassis have been replaced or overplated?

The true identitity of the vehicle (Chassis number / Car number may have been lost because it was on a replaced part, or it has been welded over

Offline Nick Abrams

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Aug 19, 2022 - 21:05
Thanks for your help. The chassis has been repaired before and I think it is likely the original chassis number has been lost. Thanks once again for your suggestions. I shall go over it again with a fine tooth comb.

Offline msm80

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
  • RAF1952 80"-1948 80" & Co-pilot Finlay
Reply #6 - Aug 20, 2022 - 08:59
Am I right in believing a five digit number found on the chassis is actually the Build number? 

Other posts on this forum mention four or five digit numbers stamped on purely to track the vehicle through the factory,  with the chassis (in the form it appears on documentation, registration documents etc,) also stamped elsewhere .

This Line number / Build number was a stamp put on the chassis as it progressed along a production line, to identify a particular build.

The build number has no connection with the chassis number (I believe it is also known as a line number?)

In which case the number found has little practical significance because it is not a Chassis number (Car Number)

My gut feeling is this number should be ignored as basically irrelevant, and the real chassis number has yet yo be found in an "odd" location on the chassis.

Has the chassis been repaired?  Is there obvious signs that sections of the chassis have been replaced or overplated?

The true identitity of the vehicle (Chassis number / Car number may have been lost because it was on a replaced part, or it has been welded over

I'm inclined to agree with Mike. In my collation of 80" build numbers toward the end of 80" production the build numbers (in this case stamped on the offside engine mount), the numbers had easily reach five figures in the high teens. Clearly with extensive modification the 86" chassis would have started with a new series back at 0 and knowing production had accelerated as 86" moved into the market a number like 24399 is entirely feasible in my view. Interesting point to be followed up by owners of 86" & 88" models maybe.
In my research of 80" models it is clear chassis batches changed obviously when major modifications occurred eg the narrow to wide spring models being introduced. Early 80" chassis have the build number in small font ahead of the main VIN number on the nearside, then during 1951/52 they shifted to the offside and the font has been larger at about 1/4" instead of the earlier 1/8" size.

As Mike points out build numbers appear to mean nothing specific to the chassis itself in terms of exact vehicle completion and final despatch, but there are vague patterns emerging which might relate to the sequence of chassis being actually made, delivered and then stockpiled in a system as yet undefined prior to production. This has been discussed several times on this forum elsewhere and at present I probably only have about 50 within 80" models so it is very early days in the data so far. Besides not everyone either knows or cares about these numbers at present, the later examples being difficult to see anyway as they sit on the offside mount beneath the steering draglink often layered over with paint!

M

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal