Awaiting restoration in Herefordshire.

Offline GrandadRob

• Non-Member
  • 1955 86 inch. 1960 88 inch 2009 TDV6 HSE

This is ex fire brigade. Thought you would like a look. Posted on another forum.
(Thanks Joskin)

Offline TomC

• LRSOC & LR Register Member
Re: Awaiting restoration in Herefordshire.
Reply #1 - Apr 15, 2009 - 23:42
I'm rather interested in fire-engines at the moment and this poses some questions.  Is it ex-services? hence the A-suffix registration or why was it registered late?  The chassis is black whereas most fire-engines were red, and also the hubs. It does look as if it might have had a truck cab which would be right and the body is straight as might be expected.  What are the 1960's chrome shades on the headlights, doubt they were a factory extra, more like a Ford Anglia. I suppose it had a makeover when it left the fire-brigade / was registered in the early 1960's.

Are there any 86" fire engines represented on the forum?

TomC

Offline TomC

Reply #2 - Apr 15, 2009 - 23:50
...... and it has a series 2 front grille.

TomC

Offline TomC

Reply #3 - Apr 15, 2009 - 23:54
........ and is it my imagination or are those narrow 80" springs on the front which have been spaced out to fit the wider chassis spring hangers?

TomC

paul1968

Reply #4 - Apr 16, 2009 - 10:18
Hi All
AAW is a Shropshire Reg prefix. The 1960's number may be done to ex forces or if its be a ex factory tender it may not have been road registered when new. In the 50's/60's it was not unusual for larger factories to have their own tenders.
Nice looking 88, i'd give it a home;-)
Cheers
Paul

Offline John C

• LRSOC Member
Reply #5 - Apr 16, 2009 - 10:32
Another reason that it may have an A-suffix is that its orignal number was sold/transferred in the '80s. Before the advent of the age related plate, A-suffix numbers were issued to cars that had their original numbers transferred. My 88in, for example, was ADC 44A when I got it but later I was able to claim an ag related number (YFF 935) in its place. As a bons I was also able to transfer ADC 44A onto something else. The A-suffix nos now have a small value too.
JC 

Offline GrandadRob

• Non-Member
  • 1955 86 inch. 1960 88 inch 2009 TDV6 HSE
Reply #6 - Apr 16, 2009 - 17:32
The AAW registration is one of those given to vehicles who have had theirs sold or transferred away. My Series 2 had one when I got it, since got one of those Scottish leftovers, but at least it is true age related.
Sorry I can't answer any questions on this vehicle. I didn't discover it, and only roughly know where it is. If  anyone has a passion to see it, I can make some further enquiries. But it is in North Herefordshire somewhere near the A44.
Rob.

Offline olegit

• Non-Member
Reply #7 - Apr 17, 2009 - 14:33
The rear axle is?

Offline TomC

Reply #8 - Apr 17, 2009 - 14:52
The rear axle is?

Fully floating which is why it has been suggested that it is an 88" I imagine, but we're still hoping that someone wil be able to find out more of its history and then post it here.

TomC

Offline John C

• LRSOC Member
Reply #9 - Apr 17, 2009 - 15:39
The reason I think it is an 88in is because it has one rectangular hole in the grille panel unlike the 80/86in grille panels that have several holes.

My 88in had an original semi-floating axle when I bought it - has been retro fitted with Series IIA item now like AAW.

JC

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal